Raw before the Rumble thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anybody got a gif or clip of the Miz figure 4? I wasn't paying attention when he stuck it on and missed it.

Can't agree with Shane O'Mac saying the beat the clock should have been for the #30 spot. I didn't mind the angle payoff but it would have been a million times better and done much more for Ziggler if he chose #1 himself. I liked him mentioning he could go for 30, he could go for good old 27 and thought it was going in that direction, which would have suited his 'Show-Off' persona down to a tee. I hope he cuts a promo along those lines at the Rumble instead saying he's taking #1 and he's going all he way because that's just how good he is and then imply he might even cash in after that, implying he's going to hold both belts come the end of 'Mania. Obviously that won't happen but there's no harm in his character suggesting it and then having a really good showing in the Rumble, getting to the final 3 or 4.

Didn't mind Raw, certainly had that feeling of just waiting for The Rumble and killing time for it. Just had that big feeling of The Rumble being all booked up and set, i'm quite excited for it. Feels like shit is really going to be taking off from Sunday, Road to WrestleMania starting properly and all that. They've done a fairly decent job of keeping it up in the air on how the Rumble will go too. There's not particularly any big stories set-up besides Ryback, who i was sure was going to win for ages but, Del Rio taking the World belt has thrown a nifty curveball with that and with Rock likely to take the belt (although i think it would be interesting if he didn't), so that tells me Cena might take it. I'm now thinking Cena and Ziggler could be last and The Shield cost Ryback, Orton and Sheamus their spots setting up a 6-man at WrestleMania with Cena winning it. There is a danger of the Rumble winner telegraphing the WWE title result, although i suppose some could buy Cena-Punk as a WrestleMania main event. Everyone in this thread seems to have forgot Heyman embracing Maddox, Vince didn't say anything about him. He's getting involved in that WWE title match somehow and tasting a Rock Bottom. I'm dead excited for Sunday though and Punk-Rock, should be a tremendous atmosphere for that i hope.

• Paid Members
They're friends out of the ring and if you're talking about revenge then HHH never got his revenge on Sheamus after the EC in 2010. Sheamus boasted that he'd ended HHH's career, he was off TV for 10 months and it was never mentioned on his return as he went straight into the Taker feud for the WM build up.

Yeah he did. He smashed Sheamus like a dispensable jobber on Raw. ENJOY

I'm not sure it's fair to call referencing the "I have a dream" speech, the man's most famous speech, on his day "shoehorning". It's like saying they shoehorned santa into the christmas show.

I think it was more that the Rock was shoehorning the MLK reference into his speech, which has no link to it nor anywhere near the level of importance.

That's what I meant by it, can't speak for the other guy who also used the term. I just like the fact that a Raw thread deviated into a discussion about shoehorns. :D

Can't agree with Shane O'Mac saying the beat the clock should have been for the #30 spot. I didn't mind the angle payoff but it would have been a million times better and done much more for Ziggler if he chose #1 himself. I liked him mentioning he could go for 30, he could go for good old 27 and thought it was going in that direction, which would have suited his 'Show-Off' persona down to a tee. I hope he cuts a promo along those lines at the Rumble instead saying he's taking #1 and he's going all he way because that's just how good he is and then imply he might even cash in after that, implying he's going to hold both belts come the end of 'Mania. Obviously that won't happen but there's no harm in his character suggesting it and then having a really good showing in the Rumble, getting to the final 3 or 4.

I can understand that to a degree for Ziggler, but as the challenge was taking place I found it ridiculous considering anyone with half a brain would pick the last number to lessen the chances of getting an asskicking. I was cringing when Lawler tried to offer an alternative by saying that Sheamus or Barrett might pick an early number because they love to fight, ignoring that (especially in Barrett's case) both men have been portrayed as reasonably intelligent, Sheamus with punking out various heels as a face, and the commentators often mention Barrett's higher education in marine biology.

Don't think it was as good as the last two weeks. 2013 has been a really good year for RAW thus far (even the 20th anniversary which was a good RAW, poor celebratory RAW) but Monday night's just didn't do it for me.

And am I the only one who is disappointed to see Big Show and Del Rio go at it in a Last Man Standing match again? I'd liked to of seen it go for something slightly different, maybe an I Quit match or No Holds Barred. We've seen them do the Last Man Standing as recently as two weeks ago. It just seems lazy to do it again. (a bit like their way of repeating Main Event matches on RAW).

But in saying all that, I'm still looking forward to the Rumble. I must admit, I'm hoping Punk retains the title and if he doesn't it's another indication that today's wrestlers aren't as good as those from yesteryear.

• Paid Members
it's another indication that today's wrestlers aren't as good as those from yesteryear.

Everyone already knows that. Including the regular audience who watch more when Rock, Brock and Undertaker are on. Its how they have been educated the last few years. The difference in star power between the regulars and the special attraction stars has never been wider. There is Cena who gets near them (and even he's resented by a portion of the regular fanbase). Even in 2005 when you'd have Austin and Hogan regularly coming back, it wasn't like people were thinking Cena and Batista were out of their league. Cena's 35 and Punk is 34 and are both falling to bits. Makes you wonder what they are going to do when they start winding down in the next few years. Imagine the difference in class if they make Sheamus, Barrett and The Miz the next batch of headliners?

I must admit, I'm hoping Punk retains the title and if he doesn't it's another indication that today's wrestlers aren't as good as those from yesteryear.

Good in what way? Rock is obviously a bigger star but I imagine his ring rust is going to be highlighted quite a bit going against punk. Especially since he's about as bulky and mobile as Robocop.

• Paid Members
Bloody hell, didn't know Punk was falling to bits. What's wrong with him?

His back and knees were fucked in 2011, so God knows what he's like now. But so are a lot of wrestlers, so he'll probably continue on until he can't go on like they all do. He supposedly just covered in ice packs after every match. He works a physical style and does a full schedule as well, which never does you any good. Cena's the one to worry about. He's came back from neck surgery, shoulder injuries and torn pec muscle way earlier than he should have before. He rarely has the full time off he's told to. And he's carrying a load of muscle. You'd think he's not going to have the best of times in later life.

• Paid Members
I'm not sure it's fair to call referencing the "I have a dream" speech, the man's most famous speech, on his day "shoehorning". It's like saying they shoehorned santa into the christmas show.

Was it a special MLK edition of RAW? If not, I call shoehorning.

They opened, as they do every year, with the video package about him and they wished people happy martin luther king day. It's not like it hadn't been mentioned until then.

I mean, I don't feel that strongly about it, just thought it was a more natural reference than some

• Paid Members
Imagine the difference in class if they make Sheamus, Barrett and The Miz the next batch of headliners?

Yeah, this concerns me a little too. Those who constantly tout Miz and Barrett as potential bona-fide stars i think are mental. I believe they've got a level and it's not with those mentioned. Sheamus is alright though, there's heaps of potential in him.

Somewhat on this subject though, who does everyone think may get called up from NXT this year and out of those who do you think may make waves?

Archived