Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

Finished Something To Wrestle's episode of Brutus, it was pretty good but shows that Conrad can't half promote a book if he wants to. Prichard is still the best co-host/expert in my opinion and Conrad does what he does very well. The material was decent enough, all in all a very passable episode. The next one is on Hassan, should be interesting and hope to get through it today.

Got 83 Weeks on now, BATB '94. Normally the format of the show is to discuss the previous show before going into it. That never happened on this episode though. I wonder if there was too much backlash maybe? Not sure, just odd that the previous episode hasn't even been addressed so far. Maybe it will at the end. Bischoff isn't anywhere near as good as Prichard IMO.

Forgot to say, I finished SCG's episode on re-writing WCW in July '98, a very good episode, though I do agree instead of a realistic approach, it seemed a little more fantasy booking as I feel Hogan wouldn't have left. The lads discussed still needing some star power but Hogan was already cut at the beginning of the episode, just seemed to push beyond the realm of realism to me. Other than that, it seemed well thought out and planned. The booking itself was realistic in terms of the slow build to lay the foundation, really enjoyed it.

I still find Prichard to be by far the best podcast of all the Conrad ventures, Schiavone I think they smartly realised he basically knows and wanted to know sod all about behind the scenes stuff so they pivoted early on to show commentary and talking about cock and sex and stuff. I still have not worked out if I like 83 weeks, sometimes I find it really insightful but then others It's literally like nails on a chalkboard, I get the impression Eric aint that in tune with creative, as though Nash or Hogan or someone would come to him and say "we're doing this Eric" and he'd just wash his hands of it and so when pushed all these years later he seems very hazy about why and how's. I'm a Prichard mark, I can honestly listen to him talk about Bob Holly for 6 hours if necessary, I find him charming and charismatic, horses for courses I guess.

Couldn't have said it much better. The Prichard one is head and shoulders above the other Conrad pods, the Holly episode was brilliantly done as Prichard was on point and the source material was very good in the form of Holly's book. Their little in-jokes/recurring phrases are pretty fun too which give it a bit more colour and personality.

I'll be honest, I dropped off Schiavone's after 8-9 episodes, I couldn't get into it. Listened to all of Bischoff's and it's nowhere near as good. That may have been down to expectancy though, the thought of a "Bischoff bears all" podcast sounded amazing until you realise he offered little in the way of creative, doesn't remember much or just sits on the defensive. I will still listen to it as there are still a couple of nice little "huh, I didn't know that" moments. However, it is a million miles away from the Prichard one.

Edited by Powerful_Fox

• Paid Members

I find Conrad more tolerable on the Bischoff one which is why I prefer it. He's overly familiar with Pritchard and incorrect if he thinks what people want to hear is him calling Pritchard out all the time. He does get into it with Bischoff but a lot more of it is him just being the host rather than thinking he's 50% of the star.

Overall though, I don't find we learn a right lot that we didn't already know. And those tidbits aren't worth listing to Conrad for.

I really enjoy the Bischoff podcast and while it may not be as good as Something to Wrestle With, it's certainly a better listen than What Happened When. His memory isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I always get a kick out of him ripping Melzter and Keller on a regular basis.

• Moderators

I love Something to Wrestle With, but Bischoff is way too egotistical to be part of something like this. Any kind of negative take on something he did results in a rambling 20 minute rant saying the same thing five different ways, about how none of the liars were there and he was, and ending with "how can I be shit if I created the nWo?"

35 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I find Conrad more tolerable on the Bischoff one which is why I prefer it. He's overly familiar with Pritchard and incorrect if he thinks what people want to hear is him calling Pritchard out all the time. He does get into it with Bischoff but a lot more of it is him just being the host rather than thinking he's 50% of the star.

Overall though, I don't find we learn a right lot that we didn't already know. And those tidbits aren't worth listing to Conrad for.

Interesting point Rick, it's funny because I quite like Conrad being a bit more of a personality. Does he sometimes step over a bit too much? Absolutely. However I think he and Prichard have a good chemistry that allows him to do it. I genuinely listen to Something to Wrestle partly now because of his approach. I get a kick out of Prichard sometimes giving a bullshit answer and Conrad rolling it back and making him give us something better.

Apart from the whole "DX invaded during the daytime" rant he had on Bischoff, I think he just sort of let's Bishoff get away with a lot of stuff without challenging him I'd imagine just because of who he is. It might be because it's still relatively early days.

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed the Bischoff ones so far despite his very thin skin. Was really taken a back at his criticism of Liams book though. Shitting on everything despite offering no explanation or other scenario. The Blue Chew adverts and talk of Eric's sex life is starting to do my head in too. 

Tony's podcast peaked with the Barely Legal episode. Him talking ECW would have been right up my street, but they've stuck that stuff on Patreon now and there's no way I'm paying for podcasts. 

Bruce is still the MVP of the lot. Want watching during the Mohammed Hasan stuff so that was a interesting listen. 

I still can't get over Bischoff arguing that the nWo storyline was based on two disgruntled ex-employees of WCW returning to the company to exact revenge. To the point I think that he must be on a wind-up and fishing for a reaction. I can't ever recall that theme being played up on TV.

Edited by AshC

Prichard and Conrad are more comfortable with each other which rubs off on you listening in. They're not afraid to have a go at each other but mostly in an entertaining enough way. Bischoff and Conrad aren't as comfortable and Bischoff has thinner skin. Prichard putting his hands up on something he's produced or booked is funnier and makes him more likeable. Likewise, him telling Conrad he's talking shit is usually informative and entertaining.

I couldn't understand the praise for Bischoff's when I heard it at all.

Bischoff & Conrad are off down the Patreon route now too, was an ad on the Bash at the Beach episode. Pity, as I find the Conrad/Bisch combo more tolerable than Conrad/Bruce. Still, I couldn't live with myself knowing some of my moderately hard earned money is going towards that annoying twat Conrad, so I shan't be paying.

• Paid Members

I would absolutely never pay for a podcast no matter how much I liked it. With the amount of content out there, it just doesn't make much sense.

What's the Patreon route? New episodes or the archive?

Prichard one is doing the same.

Its essentially the live shows they’ve done (the ones they originally said they’d never record) and Conrad’s notes from the episodes. I believe there is also a “you pick the topic for the next “Special” show”.

I think that was the bulk of it outside a couple t-shirts.