WWE Survivor Series 2012

Cobra1000

First post here.

Got to say I really enjoyed last night's Survivor Series.

The opening match was excellent and a surprising finish. Not the fact that Mysterio won (that was always a given when I saw the line ups) but rather than Rey, Sin Cara, Gabriel and Kidd (give him a title push soon...please) were all left at the end. Not bothered by Clay or Albert so their involvement didn't really matter to me, though they could have got Albert a bit more by having him against the four high fliers and come out as the winner. That would have been more surprising and maybe elevated him to some sort of credibility. Seems like the Primo & Epico and Prime Time Players are currently just there to lose, shame because when the PTP where with AW they had something really going.

Eve v Kaitlyn was one of the best women's matches I've seen for a while. They probably are two of the best actual women wrestlers the WWE has on it's card at the moment. I just don't see what else they can do with that division now. By the looks of it, it's just going to be the same two or three matches for some time unless they really bring Aksana into the mix.

Truth v Ceasaro wasn't the worst either. If they swerve the Lil Jimmy character, then I reckon Truth could be a decent champion. Ceasaro needs to really carry on the anti-American theme and hopefully it'll build some real heat from the fans. Maybe, now that Sheamus has had his rematch with Show, he could join along with Barrett, Regal and Mason Ryan. Have a real European theme around the US Title.

Big Show v Sheamus was a quality match. Didn't think Show still had these quality pay-per-view matches in his locker but glad to see he has. Not sure what will happen with Sheamus now (it's not like he's needed in the main event picture with Del Rio, Orton, Barrett, Ziggler and Show among others to fill the void). So maybe a tag team run with Regal is the most likely outcome. I'd like to see Show hold the title till the Rumble then have him lose it there, I think he'd get a bit stale if he holds it to WrestleMania.

Team Ziggler v Team Foley was a good traditional survivor match though I'm not sure what it does to any of them with the, possible, exception of Ziggler. It hasn't really helped (or hinder) Kane and Bryan's tag team. It didn't do much for Miz's face turn. Del Rio and Orton are already over enough not to need to win this match. Otunga is a nobody and probably will be. Sandow has a good gimmick but they don't utilise it enough and this match didn't help that. Barrett's return has almost been non-existent. Kofi is doing what Kofi has done his entire career. A singles title run before forming another tag team which has no relationship. So though it was a good match, it hasn't really achieved anything.

The main event was quality and I'm chuffed to bits that Punk has held onto the title. I'd hate for the WWE to book him where he holds the title for less time than Cena's 380 day reign, though I think the next pay-per-view (TLC) will take him past that landmark. And I doubt after such a long reign they'd have him lose the title on RAW. The ending was decent and as I don't follow NXT/FCW, the three wrestlers who got involved were unknowns to me. It's another major pay-per-view match where Cena has failed to win.

Double countout with Kane at the Rumble

Lost to Rock at Mania

Lost to Punk at SummerSlam

Lost to Punk at Survivor Series

So the four major pay-per-views this calendar year have all resulted in Cena failing to win.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Here are my thoughts on the show.

The opener was a welcome addition to the show and I thought it really was reminiscent of when ALL the superstars were guaranteed to get on the PPV, making them seem worthy of being called "superstar." When the match became five minutes old without any eliminations it really gave me hope that the elimination matches would be fleshed out properly, as in previous years we have seen someone knocked out within the first two minutes of a match, and quickfire eliminations rendering the whole thing a bit pointless. Certainly the drama of being disadvantaged in terms of numbers isn't played up anywhere near as much as it was in the good old days. This match was very enjoyable, and even though Rey/Sin Cara are the "stars" of the match, I thought International Airstrike were very smooth and showed off some good flashy moves, especially Tysons slingshot into that pin where you get your feet into their armpits and roll them back into an O'Connor roll. That looked great. Not even that fussed that with four survivors on the face team it was a bit of a whitewash, in that context it doesn't really matter. The match made me want to see more matches involving the talent involved, which can only be a good thing.

I really enjoyed the Eve match. She has been solid for a while but since her heel turn she has really developed into a good worker. She knows what to do and when and is excellent at working the crowd. I really enjoy watching her at the minute and was pleased to see her retain. Hopefully they can give her a real comeuppance when she is to lose the title, she's a great heel and as such needs to get really knocked off.

I won't lie, I didn't pay attention to the Cesaro/Truth match. I don't like Truth and didn't give him a dogs chance in hell of winning.

Sheamus/Show was another good match, apart from the muddled/bad ending. To reverse the decision to something even more disappointing and indecisive was a strange call, I imagine they will wrestle once more in a gimmick match at TLC where there won't be chance for such ambiguity.

Team Foley v Team Ziggler was a fine match. The booking of Miz as a babyface seemed to go off alright, the crowd were a little mixed in terms of their reaction to him at first but rallied for him against Barrett and Del Rio. I'm surprised to read that people didn't guess Ziggler would be the sole survivor, as holder of the MITB briefcase but with no momentum to speak of (in part due to him being an add-on to the Vickie/AJ/Cena bollocks), he badly needed a shot in the arm, and he got it here. A clean victory over Orton at the death was good booking as it really won't harm Randy and looks good for Ziggler. Yes, he has beaten Orton before on TV, but what happens on the big shows is what people remember. Also worth comment was Orton telling Foley "I hate you" before they went to the ring. I loved that ; it was LOGICAL. After their past, they aren't going to get on. Historically there have been too many instances of people with a history of animosity just GETTING ON because they happen to be on the same side of the face/heel divide. Ortons tension with Miz makes sense too, and I'm glad it was there.

The main event was OK. I must admit, I find Triple Threat matches boring as sin due to the predictable format of one bloke taking a rest, and the overkill of near falls broken up by the third man, which I always find reduces the drama for near falls. This was OK because it was a novelty seeing Ryback take it to Cena and then later on Punk/Cena desperately uniting to stop the monster. I also laughed when Punk cut off Cena's horrible shoulder tackle-shoulder tackle-duck the clothesline routine. That needs to GO. When the three lads ran in, initially I thought "oh no," because it felt like an unimaginative rehash of a rehash, but at least Ryback still looks like he won't be stopped without shenanigans, and Cena sold Shellshock like it had killed him, lying there for that length of time before Punk took the pin. At least.... he sold it until Punk made the pin. Seconds later you could see Cena walking up the aisle like he was fine. Now, I usually scoff when Power Slam take the piss out of Super Cena, but that seemed really daft to me.

All in all, better than I thought it would be, and a couple of decent additions to the catalogue of traditional Survivors matches.

What amuses me about all this is that whilst the rest of the internet explodes with 'OMG this is amazing!!!11', this forum is almost certain to explode with 'what the fuck, who the shit are these guys, this is wank' :)

And what did you think of it? Did you think ANYTHING? Or is everyone stupid for exploding with either opinion?

• Paid Members
With that, the NXT guys were a bit of a letdown. That Roman Reigns guy only debuted like a week ago

What you need to bear in mind there is that for 49 states, and a lot of the countries WWE shows in, the NXT TV show doesn't exist, officially at least, so anything they've done there is entirely irrelevant. I have no doubt they'll be presented as top guys from the developmental system, but not with any specific reference to anything they've done on that show (not that Ambrose has been on it anyway).

I'll be intrigued as to where they go with it, anyhow. It seems logical that they're going to be a "Paul Heyman Guys" stable, and Ambrose & Rollins certainly fit that mould, as does Maddox to a degree (assuming he's going to be involved), but Reigns doesn't really, as a bigger, 'look-based' guy with a familial connection to the big leagues of pro wrestling and a sports background instead of an indy one. (FWIW, I've quite liked what I've seen of him in his couple of NXT appearances, but that may be due to the curiosity factor that I actually remember him as a college football player, unlike a lot of the guys who come through that route who were just unspectacular linemen, because he was an Anoa'i).

• Paid Members
Sheamus/Show was another good match, apart from the muddled/bad ending. To reverse the decision to something even more disappointing and indecisive was a strange call, I imagine they will wrestle once more in a gimmick match at TLC where there won't be chance for such ambiguity.

It certainly was, that decision blew my acca!!

I rather the enjoyed the show. The two Survivor Series matches were a lot of fun, women's match not offensive, Sheamus and Big Show tore it up and the finish to the main gave me a reason to want to watch Raw. It was strong from an in-ring perspective, but really did have a B-show feel throughout. I'd be shocked if the buyrate isn't fuck awful.

• Paid Members

It certainly was, that decision blew my acca!!

Potential UFC 154 spoiler:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Some are saying it was maybe a play on the Sakara/Cote finish at UFC 154. They also did a similar thing with the finish in a Punk/Bryan match not so long ago.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I like the look of Roman Reigns. He has a terrific look about him and a great physique. Are we sure he's a Samoan?? Also, just watched an interview with him and he has a low, booming voice, bit like Nash, rather than whiny voices a lot of wrestlers have these days. Haven't seen him wrestle or cut a promo but if he can do both then he could go very far as he has a superstar look about him.

Been looking forward to seeing Ambrose debut, and Rollins is good (neck beard aside). I've totally switched off with WWE over the past couple of months but this has grabbed my interest again.

He looks the business, so I hope he isn't shit. Looking at the NXT roster page, he's one of the only guys who looks like he really belongs on TV.

Big E Langston is the dogs danglies. If it wasn't for Rybacks push I'm sure he'd be on the main shows by now. He's everything that Big Zeke should have been. He has an awesome finish too.

Archived