The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

93,173 or 78,000?

Back then, WWE could report anything it liked. Zane Bresloff might have known the actual figure but didn't really have much reach. Even people who were more cynical wouldn't necessarily have known where they could credibly source an answer.

Things are different now that WWE is public. They might still present untrue figures 'for entertainment purposes' but have to tell the truth in their quarterly financial statements. Brandon Thurston has crunched the numbers to present the difference between the announced figures and the official ones:

D1ztXp5WkAMKfnp.png

I shouldn't be surprised that a company synonymous with exaggeration since I was a boy still does it so blatantly and needlessly but for some reason I was. I haven't watched in years; do they crow about having breached 100,000 the way they used to venerate WM3's figure?

What they announce as the attendance includes all freebies, comps, competition winners, venue staff etc doesn't it?  Whereas the number they announce in their financial reports is just going to be people who paid.  Obviously they still exaggerate the number, but the difference in actual number of people there isn't as big as this shows, I assume.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

Whereas the number they announce in their financial reports is just going to be people who paid.  Obviously they still exaggerate the number, but the difference in actual number of people there isn't as big as this shows, I assume.

Yes, I suppose that could be true. Even with comps, did WM3 really do 93,173? It seems that it didn't:

And in 2001, respected wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer, writing for his publication Wrestling Observer Newsletter, reported that numbers for WrestleMania III, the event's previous longstanding record, were knowingly fudged. WWE boosted the numbers by more than 13,000 spectators. Meltzer claimed that Vince told him as much—that the numbers shown on television are for "entertainment purposes only."

It's hard to think of a Wrestlemania having a significant number of comps, isn't it? Not enough for those huge discrepancies, I would've thought.

There are a huge number of comps. Friends and family of employees, in ring talent, competition winners, corporate sponsors and partners, the list is endless. I would expect it to be about 10% of any show.

But all of those people are ‘in attendance’, no? 

Edited by Sonny Mustang