The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

Poor Carlito dominated the Elimination Chamber only for Edge to cash in on Cena leaving his performance unmemorable.

Remember that period? Eddie died and immediately they were like "need to get Carlito up and running for those hyspanics." He fucking beat Shawn Michaels clean with his finish in that match. Amazing to think that happened.

• Paid Members

Went and watched that Elimination Chamber match from 2006 as a result of this discussion. Haven't seen it in years. I'd completely forgotten the big shove of Carlito and Masters around that time. I'd also forgotten just how quickly all those virgins turned on John Cena. Also Shawn Daivari with Kurt. When the fuck did that happen?

I still liked the match. It wasn't as spectacular as some of the early ones and had no big spots but it was well-paced and Angle particularly took it up a notch. Shawn hitting Kurt with the superkick from nowhere while he was putting on the ankle lock was fucking great.

I hated the blood. It's grotesque. As much as a bit of colour can really add to a match, this period when HBK, HHH, Flair, Vince, etc were all bleeding a gusher is disgusting. And why? To try and convince people it was real? Like JR screaming about idiots who say "they know how to fall". Just needless. Things are better now.

Carlito, eh? Honestly one of the more forgettable guys they've ever had and yet when you do see him on an old show, it's criminal. He had a superb look, great instincts, like Randy Orton, just utterly natural and a confident talker. And yet so bland as a whole package. The most memorable part of his career was inspiring that brilliant Ric Flair promo on Raw. Easily Flair's best promo after he became a complete parody of himself in about 1999.

That cash-in was warped in my mind. The ones since where the guy just storms out and hands a ref the briefcase have corrupted this one in my memory. Forgot all about Vince. Edge is incredible. What an amazing sell before and after he wins. Itching to take the opportunity. Desperate for the ref to ring the bell. A magic moment.

I was watching that Elimination Chamber match on the dodgiest 13 year ago quality stream imaginable and the shock and excitement of Edge showing up and beating Cena was enough to nearly make me burn the entire house down with my family in it. Feel like the subsequent cash ins as mentioned and then Edge's 37 world title reigns over the next three weeks did kind of dampen it, but it should be remembered as a genuinely great moment from a time when they could still do that.

Carlito - his switch to black pleather nu metal kecks is up there as one of the worst looks for a wrestler. Proper IWA MS level clobber those.

Edited by Cannibal Man

2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I've never been a huge Edge fan but that MITB cash in is my favourite moment in wrestling ever, it was just perfect. 

Taken as a whole, that Elimination Chamber and subsequent MITB cash in is probably my favourite match of the last 15 years. I don't think Carlito or Masters were ever as good again as that night. The crowd despises Cena so much that they were genuinely willing to see either of the mid-carders defeat him, and just when it looks like the bastard has triumphed over adversity again Edge comes out to save the day. Glorious stuff.