Raw discussion. Shit is on. ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Only thing I ever really had against Holly was the Capotelli incident. It's not a small deal as some have made out - in training, a lot of emphasis is placed on taking care of your opponent in the ring and not taking liberties, and what he did to Capotelli was exactly contrary to that. Even more outrageous considering he's supposed to be a trainer.Everything else, though, I don't think I have much of a problem with. The sandbagging Lesnar thing - if he did it on purpose, it only makes him stupid, because a guy of his experience would know it would fuck him up, and if he didn't, well, it's a mistake that anyone can make. The Dupree thing - not the way I personally would have dealt with it, but Dupree did have it coming, and when you consider that, anywhere else, Holly could probably be arrested for assault or GBH if he'd taken matters into his own hands, it would make sense for him to deal out a receipt in the ring where there's no real danger of that.As a wrestler, though, I found him incredibly boring after about early 2001, I think. Prior to that, he was in some very entertaining stuff on the midcard. He was also one of those rather useful midcarders who'd never be World champ, but would always be taken seriously as a threat to any main eventer, e.g. when an authority figure announces that such-and-such is getting Holly in a match as a punishment or as part of a gauntlet.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was it Dupree or the other Frenchman who Bubba Ray Dudley headbutted on a house show? Those two French blokes weren't liked at all in the dressing room to begin with. So, even if your stance was that it was taken wrong, it wasn't like Bob Holly did it to be a cock. I bet if there was a disliked member of the locker room now who did that to a veteran, and a senior member of the locker room took it like they were fucking with them, they'd kick his head in as well. Can anyone honestly see Sheamus or The Big Show or Ryback or Mark Henry or Randy Orton or CM Punk or someone going "I'm going straight to Triple H with this", if some bellend who everyone hates fucked them over, didn't apologise or even inform them he was in the shit?The Matt Capotelli incident is a different case, but caused a lot of debate at the time. Al Snow and Hugh Morrus were dead against it. Although, strangely enough, the locker room was all for it. Everytime its brought up they are all like "I've taken worse on episodes of Metal from Bob".

• Paid Members

Was it Dupree or the other Frenchman who Bubba Ray Dudley headbutted on a house show? Those two French blokes weren't liked at all in the dressing room to begin with. So, even if your stance was that it was taken wrong, it wasn't like Bob Holly did it to be a cock. I bet if there was a disliked member of the locker room now who did that to a veteran, and a senior member of the locker room took it like they were fucking with them, they'd kick his head in as well. Can anyone honestly see Sheamus or The Big Show or Ryback or Mark Henry or Randy Orton or CM Punk or someone going "I'm going straight to Triple H with this", if some bellend who everyone hates fucked them over, didn't apologise or even inform them he was in the shit?

Oh, I'm not saying he was wrong for it - just it's not how I personally would've gone about such things if I were a wrestler (probably one of the many reasons I'll never be one). If you really think about it, it's probably the only course of action that was available to him at the time. IIRC, he was seen as a locker-room leader and veteran, so for him to go to HHH with it would've most likely weakened his position, and in a macho atmosphere like that, would've been damaging to his rep as a hard case and an "old-school" company guy.Dupree certainly deserved a receipt for what he did - bit of a shitty thing to do, borrowing someone's rental, then racking up fines and refusing to pay them. I didn't know Sylvain Grenier wasn't popular, though. I remember hearing that he was Pat Patterson's boyfriend for a while, but nothing much else.

• Paid Members

The Matt Capotelli incident is a different case, but caused a lot of debate at the time. Al Snow and Hugh Morrus were dead against it. Although, strangely enough, the locker room was all for it. Everytime its brought up they are all like "I've taken worse on episodes of Metal from Bob".

I thought the argument wasn't so much "It's OK that Holly did it", but more "Unfortunately people do shit like this, plus accidents happen, so while it shouldn't have happened here you've got to be ready to deal with it."I never really got the argument "We need to deliberately kick the shit out of you because sometimes you get hurt in a match." Surely the best way to see if somebody is capable of withstanding the pain of working matches is to just have them work a bunch of matches.

The Matt Capotelli incident is a different case, but caused a lot of debate at the time. Al Snow and Hugh Morrus were dead against it. Although, strangely enough, the locker room was all for it. Everytime its brought up they are all like "I've taken worse on episodes of Metal from Bob".

I thought the argument wasn't so much "It's OK that Holly did it", but more "Unfortunately people do shit like this, plus accidents happen, so while it shouldn't have happened here you've got to be ready to deal with it."I never really got the argument "We need to deliberately kick the shit out of you because sometimes you get hurt in a match." Surely the best way to see if somebody is capable of withstanding the pain of working matches is to just have them work a bunch of matches.
Matt was laughing while working a testmatch. Holly got in there to show him that he needs to sell with his facials and take it seriously 100% of the time.

I take it Holly is completely retired now? Haven't read anything about him for years.

Seems like it. The latest on Holly according to Wiki:

On the October 17, 2011, the Canadian Online Explorer website announced that Howard's autobiography, entitled The Hardcore Truth, will be released in early 2013. The book will be co-authored by British former wrestler Ross Williams, and is to be published by ECW Press.[52]

Archived