Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

You're right, I'm from the straight scene. I'm sure you can find a polari translator for you though.

In between you being a hero for womans rights you don't half love giving it back to the gays eh Keith

Only if I'm Lucky Pierre.

People critisize Stephanie for burying talent with her promos, and often deservedly so.

But I think Shane McMahon being booked to be on a par with (or superior to) a lot of the talent sometimes gets overlooked.

In 17 years since he first wrestled, I don't think he has EVER been easily beaten or dominated in a match. He always seems to only-just lose after taking one too many risks.

Kurt Angle, Big Show, Undertaker, and others have narrowly beaten him in hard fought matches and in the 2001 & 2016 Survivor Series main events I don't remember him ever been mentioned on TV as being the weak link or person the other team should target.

I did groan inward when he was announced for the Surrivor Series match this year but other than that and the stuff with Orton in 2009 I've never really had a problem with Shane's booking. His stuff was always super entertaining and when it came to bell time he'd just get the shit leathered out of him for 15 minutes and nearly kill himself with a quick "this boy is an exception to the rule!" comeback before decisively losing and being helped out like he's been in an actual car wreck.

In the world of WWE it was always an easy enough thing to ride along with in exchange for some mental storylines and PPV stunts.

• Paid Members

The thing is that they've so consistently protected Shane that it works. I know we roll our eyes at it but if they'd done as good a job with the regular guys as they've done with Shane-o-Mac down the years, we'd have a bunch of utter superstars right now.

It's not surprising that casual fans react great to him.

I think Shane is playing the role that Vince wanted for himself but was never allowed by his old man. Owner's son who grew up around the business, trained with the wrestlers and learnt all the tricks. Coupled with the fact he's not sacrificing his body on the road night after night, it could almost be a plausible story... if they ever bothered to tell it.

Instead, his in-ring prowess is given no context, no justification. He's just a tough, tough fella because he's a McMahon, dammit, and Virile Vince didn't raise no jobber.

Surely in the world of WWE the fact that he is a McMahon boy is context enough? His dad spent most of his time from 1998 on being presented as an actual corporate demigod with a fetish for misery, abuse and extreme control. "He's a fearless bastard because he's a McMahon" sounds fine to me!

I mean they've never had him bust out a Benoit moveset without explaining it. They just say he is the guy that willing to risk his neck, and he does.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

In total fairness to Shane, (despite how he's won things), he is a former champion and has been involved in many huge matches. That alone is good enough for me.

I still remember seeing Shane Vs X-Pac, and Shane pulls off a picture perfect leapfrog, and I thought "this guy has it". Each to their own, but I see him as a fearless competitor, maybe not always a winner, but somebody who will give it 100% and go down swinging.

• Moderators

It's James Ellsworth. He lost a squash as a local job guy on the first Raw after the brand split, but he became something of a cult figure online due to his appearance and promo prior to the squash and so turned up on Smackdown about a month or two later and has been on there since in a well featured role as Dean Ambrose's little buddy/mascot type in his main event Smackdown feud with AJ Styles.

Edited by PowerButchi