Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Early heel Michaels used the piledriver to beat jobbers a fair amount too, though I'm not sure whether that was before of after the side-suplex variation he used.

I distinctly remember taking a while to buy into the Superkick as a finisher, despite all the "knocking out Diesel by mistake" stuff. It still seemed weird that a kick that he'd used for years (without knocking people out) was now his finish, knocking fools out left and right. 

The piledriver was afterwards. He was suplexing in 1992 in advance of winning the Intercontinental title the first time but was throwing all manner of shit at people by summer 1993, piledriver included. Hence him lamping Razor with the piledriver after making the "its over" gestures during the ladder match at Mania X, and making sure to give Bret one in the chaos after the title match at King of the Ring 94. He was also winning some of his jobber matches with the top rope elbow when he felt like being a flash cunt but yeah, he was big on the piledriver for a while.

I didn't get to see anything except the PPV stuff regularly until about 1994 so I missed a lot of those great jobber days at the time (though I've had my fill via youtube since then). Looking back at the pastings those poor sods took from the likes of Sid, Vader and The Steiners, there must be loads of blokes pushing sixty these days across the USA with utterly fucked backs, necks and knees who never reached any level of fame or made any money. You hear about all the big (and not so big) names with their health problems now from the abuse taken in that era, but some of that lot did fuck-all in terms of bumping compared to the pasty job-boys of the day. They must all be completely fucked!

Shouldnt be surprised at anything Triple H is up to these days, but here he is at tonights Evolve show with Gabe Sapolsky.

CZcu-eRWwAAI93_.jpg

Even after all the parallel universe stuff we've seen over the past few years like American Dragon becoming John Cena's brother-in-law and main eventing WrestleMania 30, that has absolutely floored me.

Shouldnt be surprised at anything Triple H is up to these days, but here he is at tonights Evolve show with Gabe Sapolsky.

CZcu-eRWwAAI93_.jpg

Even after all the parallel universe stuff we've seen over the past few years like American Dragon becoming John Cena's brother-in-law and main eventing WrestleMania 30, that has absolutely floored me.

You think he was more of a Costa man?

Zack Sabre Jr was on this show wasn't he?

• Paid Members

The superkick problem isn't just in WWE, it's all of western wrestling. I would sometimes keep a tally of how many superkicks got used on local shows I would go to and it went over 20 on a 6 match card more than once. I always thought it would be a great gimmick for a comedic character, like a Santino circa 09, to claim they were 'unsuperkickable' and develop a bunch of counters to it. Of course when someone finally did hit him with one he would claim it didn't count because it was a mule kick, or a yakuza kick, any of the interchangeable terms that get used for what's essentially the same kick

I've always thought of a yakuza or mafia kick as a runing boot to the head/side of the head. It's normally to a bent over opponent with a forward thrust, like a little mans big boot.

A super kick is side on, with a side ways thrust.

That's how it works in my head by gum.

Edit: To me a mafia/yakuza kick is sole of the boot, unlike the punt which is bridge of the foot before we go there.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

What we call the Yakuza kick here, they call a Fight Kick in Japan - mainly because that's how a lot of fights kick off there. You know how in the UK a lot of fights start with a punch or one guy getting another in a headlock? In Japan it seems their first instinct is to come stomping in.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Just caught lucha underground for the first time. Probably the best wrestling TV show I have seen for ages. Only thing I don't like is the crowd. Are they the same for season 2?

What's wrong with the crowd? I think most the crowd noise is piped in anyway.