Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Terry Funk in 1998 really is class. Something about a bloke in his 50s doing reckless asai moonsaults is captivating. Guy oozes charisma too.

Brawl for All isn't as bad as made out but it isn't great.

Ken Shamrock is a star, why did they avoid the Shamrock Vs Severn KOTR final though?

I remember as a kid at the 98 Rumble, Terry and Mick Foley facing off and thinking the way Funk handles his chainsaw is REALLY dangerous and reckless!!! What a sad child I was...

• Paid Members

Ugh DX are currently doing the WCW Invasion in my network journey of the Attitude era. Tbh I found the Jackyl bringing a drunken dwarf out on Raw far more interesting. Infact The Jackyl is a great character when he turns up. He's interesting, but feels like his characters intentions doesn't get to go all the way.

The story of Samuel Beckett driving a then-infant Andre the Giant to school survives as part of both of their Wikipedia articles, though possibly because it's so lovely a story that no one wants to consider that it might be false. It seems not to have been questioned on the Talk page of Andre's entry, but is the source of some discussion on Beckett's. The sources cited seem fairly weak, each containing almost exactly the same text about Becket befriending Andre's father and talking with the boy about cricket.

An earlier version of Beckett's Wiki contains a little more information, which would be stronger evidence if a strong reference had been cited (but it wasn't): "Actor Cary Elwes explains in his video diary of The Princess Bride that Beckett was a neighbour of the Roussimoff family, and used to give one of the Roussimoff sons, André René, a lift to school every day, since the boy was unable to take the school bus owing to his large size. André René Roussimoff would, in later years, go on to become professional wrestler André the Giant."

However I then googled it and found Cary Elwes' Princess Bride diary on Youtube, and sure enough he does tell the Andre/Beckett tale in the first 50 seconds. So unless Elwes is making it up, it certainly seems true that Andre told the story at least. A graphic at the beginning of the Youtube video suggests that it was a DVD extra, which places it in 1999 if it was included on the original Princess Bride DVD release (though it's not clear from Youtube when it was recorded).

So what I wanted to ask was; do any members of the board know of any other confirmation of the Andre/Beckett story? Ideally one which predates 1999, and is contingent on more than Andre's say-so? 

• Paid Members

So what I wanted to ask was; do any members of the board know of any other confirmation of the Andre/Beckett story? Ideally one which predates 1999, and is contingent on more than Andre's say-so? 

His video diary was actually made during filming which puts the rumour from at least 1987

Were Sting's gloves with writing on a rip off of '98 Dustin Runnels?

They are motorcycle mechanic gloves I believe