Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Just mentioned in the Raw thread about Fandango being brilliant, got me thinking about the belts, I know he isn't particularly over and he's not looking like he's ever going to get a push above where he is now but the best thing going for him is that he hasn't won the IC or US title

It's not just him, Barrett always seemed a reasonably big deal while he was in Nexus and even after Punk kicked him out but as soon as he won the IC title they may as well had Main Event Push Over in an on screen graphic, Ambrose is above being dragged down by holding a mid card title because he's always in segments with the top boys, not because the belts actually got him over anymore

I remember Raid saying ages ago that the World Title is the belt they use to see if someone is ready for the WWE Title down the line, well the IC and US titles don't do anything like that now, winning the IC Title basically means you're mid card for life nowadays

Bin the lot off and just have everyone on the roster go on about how they want the WWE Title, its not like anyones buying PPV's to see if someone can finally defeat Curtis Axel for the belt

• Paid Members

The man elevates the title. Not the other way around. Like the World title. That was completely dead until someone decent won it. If Fandango or Wade Barrett or Curtis Axel were appealing they'd be able to create interest in the belt. But they are limited in the interest they can project. I dont think more than 4 people on earth think about any of those 3 outside of when they are actually on the telly. They should get people over before giving them a title. You should be getting rid of the wrestlers before you get rid of the belts.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I think the bigger problem is using the belt for character development. The belt's just a belt. Keeping the title might be a motivation for the character but its not all that compelling, especially when you have so many titles. One weak attempt at fixing that might be to reduce the number of titles I guess, the better solution would be actually giving more people actual characters.

• Paid Members
winning the IC Title basically means you're mid card for life nowadays

There's nothing wrong with being a midcard name. I'd rather see midcard acts work well in the midcard than floundering at the main and spoiling it for when they get moved back down.

winning the IC Title basically means you're mid card for life nowadays

There's nothing wrong with being a midcard name. I'd rather see midcard acts work well in the midcard than floundering at the main and spoiling it for when they get moved back down.

Aye, but equally you don't want performers whose act might eventually work at the top of the card to acquire a midcard stigma before they have the chance. I think Barrett is the shits but the company seemed to believe in him for that first year or so, ergo it was easy to see him as a threat. Venkman's right in that nothing made Barrett's complete loss of momentum more apparent than the IC strap.

Ambrose is doing fine but the US title is a bit of an Albatross for him at this point. Both he and the Shield would feel more potent if they'd been alternately defending the tag titles like the Freebirds all this time, or if he'd just graduated straight to the WHC.

I was listening to an old episode of Wrestling Observer live yesterday, from May 2001. Someone e-mailed in and said they were watching the FA Cup final and the camera pointed to Davey Boy Smith who was there in attendance. Anyone have this match on video that can remember it?

As an Arsenal fan i remember the game and the fucking bullshit last 10 minutes but dont remember spotting bulldog. Here's a YouTube link to it though

Thre might be more videos out there, but this is the first i found :) also, it was played in Wales!!!