Shittest Comebacks

NEWM

• Paid Members
"Superstar" Billy Graham's comeback in 1987.

Tons of vignettes. One match in, he jips his hip and it becomes a career ender. Becomes Don Muraco's manager. Co-commentates at Summerslam 1988 and is not very good. Disappears.

Went back and had a look at this, and yeah he looks pretty bad alright. I watched this though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke_PTxLMCpc and (I obviously never noticed this before) as much as he's derided Hulk hogan for all his years of supposedly ripping him off, I do sort of see his point. Not for this era, but for later in his career, those tights look awfully familiar in style.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WWE version of the NWO sprang to mind straight away was really excited to see the them come in more so for the group and potential gang warfare personally but looking objectvely we had the potential for Hogan Vs Austin, Rock, Taker, Angle and many up and comers. We got most of that and Hogans turn and 2002 run was entertaining even if brief. However the nWo element was shit. We had Austin treat Hall like a bitch, Nash barely mobile then in come Big Show and X Pac to add numbers but nothing else. Then they became a wank set of lackeys to Ric Flair fuck about with Booker T and Golddust. Bring in HBK to help turn things around and following Nash's injury everyone gives up and goes home.

• Paid Members

Foley's second run as Commissioner in 2001 was disappointing, I was hoping it'd be the same kind of dynamic as it was in 2000 but it didn't happen.

Kane's return this year was a let down, I was hoping they'd treat him as a 'special attraction' fan favourite now that he had the mask back on, but instead they turned him into a retarded love-struck heel AGAIN. His character isn't any different at all now to what it was a year ago.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Jericho's latest return was shit, but it was slightly frustrating as to why they never really addressed why he wouldn't talk in the first few weeks, it all seemed to just fizzle out in a really unsatisfying way.

British 'Denim' Bulldog in 99....

yep, davey boy was fucked by this point. Tne highlight for me was him taking the Hardcore titleoff Crash at that British PPV, shame really as he was on the fringe of main event-level but his abilities by this point were failing him, and he just wasnt going to cut itin that era.

Scott Steiners return to WWE in 2002 was underwhelming. Good build up then had 2 shite title matches with Hunter then did pretty much nothing for the rest of it bar a feud with Test (although props for getting paired up with Keibler for a while).

What was most galling was that when he went to TNA some time after that, he had about 3 years of good matches! He was clearly not back in shape after his injury when WWE came calling, but was too pigheaded to admit it.

He was fantastic at all the outside-the-ring stuff in WWE, mind you, but the matches sucked. By the time he re-injured himself, he'd got rid of most of the ring rust; I remember some of his stuff with Test being ok. Damage was done by that point.

Been watching some WWF from 2000, and would say Undertakers comeback could possibly fall in this catagory. Moreso the crowd reaction to him rather than his perfomances. You had the insane reaction during the Iron Man match return, and the Raw the next night, but from that point on, the crowd reaction is unbelievably tepid for him. Check out the reaction from this match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyyWl-DXyYU

A huge star returning after a long absense, with a brand new gimmick, but it went downhill rapidly. Maybe it was because the crowd were so into The Rock, and that he instantly started playing second fiddle to him. Seems the most logical explanation.

• Paid Members

The babyface version of the American Badass character wasn't half as over as the Phenom, from what I remember. At least the original version of the American Badass. Back then, because there was a boom period going on, there was all kinds of different fad fans hoping on board at various times. Especially in early 2000 when Undertaker was injured. When Austin and Undertaker were injured, WWF seemed to go all mainstream. Well it seemed that way in this country. Rock was in the charts with Wycliff, WWF were putting out rap albums, Channel 4 started airing pay-per-views and the Rock in general seemed to be a megastar. The product had changed as well. Their roster was super athletic and everyone was knocking up belters. Undertaker and Austin took a while to fit back in when they returned. The difference between late 99 and mid-2000 is quite shocking looking back on it. The roster, the ring style and the direction of the company changed a lot.

Saying that Undertaker did get back in the groove later on in the year. When he had Rollin' as his theme, people were into that.

I just remember Taker being a bit shit in 2000/2001, and as you say the athleticism of the rest of the roster seemed to show him up at a time when he looked a bit heavier and more sluggish than usual. He had a good match with Triple H at X-7, but I think it took that heel turn at the end of 2001 before he started being consistently good again.

The WWE version of the NWO sprang to mind straight away was really excited to see the them come in more so for the group and potential gang warfare personally but looking objectvely we had the potential for Hogan Vs Austin, Rock, Taker, Angle and many up and comers. We got most of that and Hogans turn and 2002 run was entertaining even if brief. However the nWo element was shit. We had Austin treat Hall like a bitch, Nash barely mobile then in come Big Show and X Pac to add numbers but nothing else. Then they became a wank set of lackeys to Ric Flair fuck about with Booker T and Golddust. Bring in HBK to help turn things around and following Nash's injury everyone gives up and goes home.

I remember being really excited for the NWO return but, in hindsight, it was probably always going to fail. You couldn't keep Hogan heel, you couldn't trust Hall and Nash wasn't fit.

EV.2.0

Another ecw comeback that was'nt needed, the guys had aged alot more and looked much worse for wear, why Dixie/TNA in real life and story line given them a ppv to play with I'll never know it just didnt seem needed and it came out the blue.

Dreamer didnt look to bad (at times) apart from the singlet and wearing trainers and kickpads for some reason, a he had a few decent outings with Styles but thats it, the feud with Fourtune seemed to go on forever.

• Paid Members
Another ecw comeback that was'nt needed, the guys had aged alot more and looked much worse for wear, why Dixie/TNA in real life and story line given them a ppv to play with I'll never know it just didnt seem needed and it came out the blue.

Dreamer didnt look to bad (at times) apart from the singlet and wearing trainers and kickpads for some reason, a he had a few decent outings with Styles but thats it, the feud with Fourtune seemed to go on forever.

In other words, he didn't look too bad apart from how he looked? He looked about as bad as your grammar kid.

Spot on with the umpteenth ECW revival, though. One Night Stand saw that crew off wonderfully, the only word for the inaugural Hardcore Justice that springs to mind for me is pathetic.

• Paid Members

regarding the first Warrior comeback, it was like an urban legend that it wasn't the same guy. That thing was all the talk on the playground back in the day.

People still probably think that the original Warrior died and the guy that came in was in imposter.

• Paid Members
People still probably think that the original Warrior died and the guy that came in was in imposter.

Yes, this is the question I am asked most by people that were fans aged 8-10 at the time, and haven't watched it since. Well, after "how many guys have played The Undertaker?" The answer to both is "oh, fuck off."

• Paid Members

Yes, this is the question I am asked most by people that were fans aged 8-10 at the time, and haven't watched it since. Well, after "how many guys have played The Undertaker?" The answer to both is "oh, fuck off."

No need to be such an angry twat about it, it's a common misconception among those that actually grew out of watching wrestling when they were supposed to.

Archived