Shittest Comebacks

NEWM

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm didn't like this recent comeback from Lesnar who looked like a fish out of water in sports entertainment as opposed to UFC. He should've gone for someone else apart from Cena and their match said it all.

Your taste in pretty much everything depresses me to my very core.

• Paid Members
It was hard to watch and the wrong finish for that style of match.

Lesnar charges head first into a chain, splitting himself open, and then is slammed onto steel steps whilst dazed. That's a very fitting finish for a hard-hitting, minimal-wrestling match. There was no need for Cena to engage in any form of wrestling. He got kicked all over the shop, Lesnar made one mistake and took the two heavy hits necessary for Cena to score the upset.

An ever so slightly more balanced match and it would've been perfect.

You said earlier that you didn't like the match because Lesnar "looked like a fish out of water in sports entertainment as opposed to UFC". How does that marry with making a slight change to arrive at perfection?

For me, the match of the year should be one you can watch time and time again. Has anyone here watched that again since?

I've watched it about four times in total. I love it, although I didn't like the finish at first because I didn't get the story until thinking about it and reading others' comments. I don't think I've watched any other match more than once this year, although if I were going to it'd be Lesnar's recent one with Triple-H.

This comment says it better than I could Extreme Rules main event post

It looks as though his complaints are addressed above. Lesnar made a mistake after dominating the whole match, took two enormous hits and was pinned by a rushing, desperate Cena. Had it been something less than it was or followed by Cena doing his usual Sports Entertainment sequence of shoulder charges, ducking a haymaker, scooping Lesnar and then hitting a five-knuckle shuffle, then there would've been massive grounds for complaint. Though there's justification from a business perspective to question whether Cena should've gone over, the way that it happened fit in with the story of the match perfectly.

• Paid Members

Road Warrior Animal's comeback with Heidenreich was pretty awful, was always a big LOD fan and that just didn't work for me. I don't even know why Animal was brought back really but if I recall it might have been around the same time as the Road Warriors dvd (which was excellent) came out.

• Paid Members

The only thing I disliked about Cena/Lesnar was I think it's stupid to count a pin against any surface but the ring mat in a match where the pin comes inside the ring, but its a minor quibble. Otherwise it's a fucking belter from start to finish.

My shittest comeback is this pair of twats :

AAO9_1266258025-000.jpg

Just fuck off! What are you doing on my screen? Mates with Hogan, I get it. I couldnt believe it. They had their place as big guys that could bounce around and sell for the power of the LOD or the speed of the Rockers when I was a kid, but they had no place polluting my screen with poor matches and managing to make Team 3D look the picture of fitness in 2010. I mean, I thought it made TNA look crap using the Dudleys as one of the major players of their tag team division ten years after their prime, but these washed up tossers were TWENTY years out of place! Just fuck off!

going back to the original subject of shittest comebacks, just choose one of the undertakers over the last 4 or 5 years. I mean he used to be awesome and all and no one is ever going to come close to his wrestlemania streak but he's just old now and does anyone actually miss him when he isnt around.

• Paid Members

Mick Foley has to walk away with this one, surely? Look at how big a star the guy was 10 to 15 years ago, he was on the same level as all the biggest names in the company, Taker, HBK, HHH, Rock & Austin. These guys get the red carpet rolled out for them every time they make an appearance on TV whereas Mick Foley it seems, is sent out to be made a mockery of. Ian's right in saying that it appears someone at the top is doing their utmost to destroy his legacy, fuck knows why he keeps agreeing to do it ($$$$)

Maybe a bit of a controversial one but I think Christian has been a bit shit since coming back from TNA. I've never really followed TNA so I don't really know how well he got on there but since he came back he doesn't seem to have done a great deal. Fair enough, he's held the WHC twice or something and been involved in a few main events but I don't think he's ever really reached his potential. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I think his actual wrestling ability is fucking superb but he doesn't even seem to have reached the same level of "overness" he had when he was teaming with Edge.

• Paid Members
Tensai has been very underwhelming. I think/hope it's a case of the gimmick holding him back.

I hate the guy. Hated him as Albert and every other variation back them and hate him as Tensai, he can fuck off back to Japan and never come back. Fat waste of space.

• Paid Members
The many, many returns of Marty Jannetty (bar when he won the IC title in 93)

Have to disagree there. I thoroughly enjoyed his brief WWE return in 2005. The Rockers reuinion was a hoot and his match with Kurt Angle the same week was great fun I thought.

That was the opposite of a disappointing return in that he was in surprisingly good form.

To add to the disappointing returns I'll throw in the 2002 WWE version of the NWO. I was chuffed to bits when these lot came back. WWE was getting pretty stale by this point so having Hogan, Hall and Nash wreaking havoc on my screen again was a welcome shot in the arm.

But Hogan turned babyface, which worked out well and couldn't really be avoided because fans wanted to cheer him. But it effectively cut the bollocks off the NWO return. They brought back X-Pac only for him and Hall to get released soon after. Then Nash got injured. I think 2002 NWO had legs but it turned into a disaster.

• Paid Members
You said earlier that you didn't like the match because Lesnar "looked like a fish out of water in sports entertainment as opposed to UFC". How does that marry with making a slight change to arrive at perfection?

I meant a perfect ending not a perfect match. Where's the re-match if it was so damn good?

Archived