The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is Anderson off the card now for the Brazil show? Meltzer seemed to insinuate as much on WOR last night. A bit of a fuck up here by both parties if true.

Yeah, he's released a statement saying he's off that card. Shame, as it would be a perfect occasion for his send off, but if he's hellbent on fighting Yoel that's a fight I could do without seeing.

In other 212 related news, Belfort is going to be training with Tristar in the run up to his fight, and is going to be cornered by Zahabi. That comes from mmajunkie.com.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Zahabi, does anyone know when Aieman (Firas' younger brother) will be fighting next? He made a fan of me with his debut; I really liked his style and his approach. Would like to see him get stuck into the rankings soon, as he could be a breath of fresh air.

Romero gets the title shot instead. GSP kept them waiting too long. 

“Georges St-Pierre was coming back. Bisping-St. Pierre — they both wanted that fight. We asked Yoel to step aside, he did. It doesn’t look like that fight is gonna happen now,” White said.“Georges St-Pierre is saying he will not be ready to compete now until November. Who knows if that’s even the case. It could be next year.

“So we’re not waiting for Georges St-Pierre anymore. We’re moving on with the division, and Yoel Romero will get the next shot.”

Edit: GSP vs Anderson makes sense now. 

• Paid Members

The whole thing was a shambles and I blame GSP 100%. I don't blame Bisping for taking the fight, but the constant delays on GSP's part were a joke. The UFC were idiots in the first place for announcing a fight without a date or venue, and then GSP was obviously not physically ready for a middleweight fight. 

I honestly hated it from the very beginning as in the event of a GSP win, there was no way he would be willing to defend the belt against the beasts of the division. 

GSP should have done the clever thing and targeted Mcgregor and other welterweights and lightweights. He's not a middleweight full stop. He's now probably packed on some unneeded muscle and will probably have to lose a chunk of that to get back down in weight, thus delaying his return further.

That said, there is one other possibility, White could feasibly be forcing GSP's hand to take the fight at an earlier date with this announcement.

UFC deserve plenty of blame as well. They didn't have their ducks in a row when announcing the fight and then dragged their feet on pulling the plug when it became clear that GSP wouldn't be ready in enough time to avoid holding up the more deserving contenders any longer than they already had been. Nobody comes out of this looking good and it's grossly unfair to put all the blame on any one person or party.

• Paid Members

I'm not touching that Tyson Fury and GAD picture. Jesus wept. 

On the Bisping/GSP bollocks I agree with Noah that some of the blame should be shouldered by the UFC too. But I will say I don't put any of the blame on Bisping for this mess. Not a bit. All Bisping did was accept the fight. The UFC should've had their shit in order before announcing it and GSP should've made sure he'd be ready to go in a reasonable time. 

And for all the moaning and whinging people did that Bisping vs GSP shouldn't be happening - from fans to other fighters - who of them would've turned down an opportunity like the one Bisping was offered? In any job if you were offered a chance to do something that would earn you way more money, gain you more more notoriety within your profession AND it'll almost certainly be easier work than the alternative (in this case Yoel Romero is that alternative) you'd be a fucking shit for brains fool to say no to that. 

All that said, I'm genuinely not that arsed about this. I'd have ended up being swept up in Bisping vs GSP come fight week if it happened, of course I would. But it was never a 'superfight' or a 'dream fight' for me. Something about the pairing just doesn't really do it for me. I'd much rather see Bisping vs Romero and GSP vs Anderson or even McGregor. 

• Paid Members

There's only really one aspect about which I'm bothered about this match, which is that it would be hilarious if Bisping beat GSP. He's already copping flak for supposedly not deserving his recent success, for being in essence a paper champion by "squeaking past a past-it Anderson on a questionable non-stoppage", for "getting lucky" against a prime Rockhold coming off bludgeoning Weidman, and for getting to defend his title against a Hendo whom purists feel should be nowhere near the top 10, let alone the belt.

Just imagine if he adds GSP to his scalps? The IMMAC (the MMA equivalent of the IWC) would choke on a combination of tears, blood, and bile. "He's beaten a rusty GSP who's never fought at MW before" - I can see it now.

And he just slings that huge sack of cash over one shoulder, winks with his fucked eye while pointing at the camera a la Buddy Christ, and swaggers off while singing some off-key doggerel about fucking his fit wife on a bed made from the printed-out rage tweets of MMA fanboys everywhere.

That's probably one of the shittiest aspects of it for Bisping as well. There's a very decent chance he'd come away from that GSP fight with a victory to be honest. As well as it being an obvious mega-money spinner for both guys, on a huge showcase. Now he gets the honours of being carted out of the octagon at the hands of a fucking nutter in Romero.

I'm disappointed that Bisping/GSP isn't going to happen, but it's not a huge deal breaker for me. It's not had anywhere near the impact that Ferguson/Khabib being called off did for example. I don't think it managed to sweep me up in the whirlwind that it might have during the week of the fight. In hindsight it was the strangest of fucking novelties. GSP coming back, at Middleweight, to face Michael Bisping, whom is also the champion. In five years we'll look back and try to figure how the fuck that was ever a thing.

EDIT: On a different subject, Doo Ho Choi vs Andre Filli has been booked for UFC 214 in Anaheim. Love that piece of matchmaking.

Archived