The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I was thinking last week what an after thought Rousey is, these days. Almost no one talks about her, which goes to show how brutal the fight game is.

She's one of my favourite fighters and a legit living legend. I hope we get to see her get another fight in down the line - not against a champion, like, but something similar to Brock, where she faces a top 10.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Probably not and, to be honest, fair play to her. Not many fighters get out rich and healthy (ok, bar the dodgy knees) while they're still young. Without checking I don't even think she's 30 yet. She's still got time to have kids and all that good stuff and she's (I assume) set for life financially. 

She didn't go out on a positive note and she certainly could've handled things better, but the end result is probably for the best. You've got to remember as well, while she was only in MMA a few years, she was an athlete from childhood and judo is gruelling as fuck. She's put her body through a lot of shit over the years. And judging by how she unravelled after the initial loss to Holly Holm, she doesn't seem mentally right for it. The fallout after Holm and everything pre and post-fight with Nunes was uncomfortable to watch for me. I don't want to see her come back. 

Much as the same as my thoughts. I wouldn't mind not seeing her fight again. The gap between he skills and the current top flight is only going to widen the longer she leaves it too.

• Paid Members

The top 5, maybe. Thing with Rousey is if she truly wants to give it another go she needs to reassess everything to do with her training. For her last fight she was in the best shape of her career, but if you've got a swindler like Edmond telling and teaching you all manner of bollocks, then it will be the same outcome, you imagine.

Another big issue, aside from the division improving at an impressive rate, is fighters and coaches now know exactly how to prepare for the Rousey charge. Of course, not all the fighters have the skills of Nunes or Holm, but that top 5 is surely handling her approach.

I loved Luke Thomas' take on it at the time. Basically, Edmond had this freak Olympic athlete (and Rousey still is that) that was so far ahead of the game and he somehow managed to do nothing with it. Some may argue she's regressed, which was sort of Nunes' point after she humiliated Rousey; her point being Edmond took a world class Judo expert and fooled her into thinking she was a stand up expert.

Rousey's maybe done as an elite Goldberg-type fighter, but I still believe if she goes to a top training camp and does good hard work rather than just hard work (and you can probably say bad hard work), then I can see her being a top 10 fighter.

You look at a Robbie Lawler or other fighters that turned into world beaters, after a spell of looking like jabronis, after change in training camp and what not, it's not impossible.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I was thinking last week what an after thought Rousey is, these days. Almost no one talks about her, which goes to show how brutal the fight game is.

She's one of my favourite fighters and a legit living legend. I hope we get to see her get another fight in down the line - not against a champion, like, but something similar to Brock, where she faces a top 10.

I can't see her ever doing that though CB. In numerous interviews in the past she's in this to be the best.

I highly doubt she would fight someone for the sake of fighting someone as a one off like Brock did.

That said, she could feasibly change camps as you say in the post above and attempt to improve the holes in her game. The thing is she doesn't need to become an elite striker. She just needs to become a competent one. If she gets any of these women to the ground at the top of the division at the moment, she mauls them in my view.

But, I don't envision this happening as I think for the next 3 to 5 years of her life she's probably focused on starting a family.

• Paid Members

If she fights on (and I doubt she does) she should probably model herself on Demian Maia. Maia's not a brilliant striker but he's good enough these days to hang with most guys, just long enough until he can, as DMX said, get it on the floor. He went through a phase after Marquardt flattened him in seconds where he was focusing a lot on standup. And while it was necessary and it did improve quite a bit over the next few years, it spilled over into his fights and he got away from what got him where he was in the first place, his world class grappling game. Somewhere around 2011/12ish, whenever he dropped to 170 and made a fresh start, he got back to his grappling roots and he's been looking great pretty much ever since. The thing is, if he never spent so much time on his striking he'd probably be a panicky grappler now like Rousey and a lot of the Gracies were way back. So it's worked out for him in the long run. Basically, Maia focused on striking solely to complement his grappling. Whereas it almost seemed like Rousey and Edmond the Brainless were working on her standup to replace her grappling. And neglecting the foundation of what got her where she was, plus their seemingly refusal to accept fault with what they were doing, the whole house of cards was going to go sooner or later. 

• Paid Members

The other issue is actually her Judo. Not the throws themselves, but to actually get in a position to get those throws. Under Edmund, she had to eat big shots to get there. 

They completely neglected foot work and movement in order to get herself into a position to utilise her strongest weapons. Basically Edmund is shite. 

The thing is, imagine how good Rousey could have been if she was in a top camp?

• Paid Members

It still utterly blows my mind that people like Dana and Joe Rogan talked about Ronda beating men in fights and were completely sold on her boxing ability based off her hitting pads, talk about drinking the cool-aid.

• Paid Members

Yeah that is mad to look at. That's something people are going to look at in years to come and think it's a photoshop from some sarcastic bastard.

As for people saying she could beat men, I still stand by that she could have beat some of the male 135ers. The boxing propaganda stuff was ridiculous but I never got why people found it so hard to believe that she could've outgrappled and tapped out some men on the roster who were her size or a bit smaller. Like now, do people honestly think Amanda Nunes couldn't beat some of the male bantamweights on the roster? Some people can't get past the man vs woman thing, it's like they think their dick is going to shrink if they admit a woman could beat a man in a fight.

Like when people were talking about the (fucking ridiculous) Rousey vs Mayweather thing. I was one of the people saying Ronda would have a chance in that fight and I wholeheartedly stand by that. IF it was under MMA rules. Whenever I said it to anyone they'd react like I'd just burst into their house on Christmas Day and stuck my dick in the turkey in front of their nan or something. But I was never saying she'd be able to box with him. I was saying she's an Olympic medal level judoka who's strong as fuck and Mayweather is a tiny bloke with awesome boxing but no grappling whatsoever. If she got hold of Floyd, what did people seriously think he was going to do? People need to get past the male vs female thing. The simple fact is, there's a tiny Polish lady named Joanna who could destroy any of us on here and make us cry like babies. Your cock and balls won't save you in that scenario. People need to deal with it. 

• Paid Members

Maybe in straight grappling she'd have a go but in a fight id say no wand. I just feel strength, physicality and striking power all but ends Ronda's chances. It's a weird fucking argument that i dont like either way.

• Paid Members

In straight grappling she'd beat even more of them. I'd say it'd be a lot more than 'maybe she'd have a go'. I know it's only training but there's footage out there of her tapping out Luke Rockhold with an armbar. It's one of the things Rogan used to lose his shit over and go all Hulk Hyperbole with but it was very impressive nonetheless. Rockhold was fighting it and fighting it and Ronda still got him. There's video out there of her giving the Diaz's all they can handle as well. She's been bashed up a couple of times but let's not forget she was a bad bitch on the mats. If a giant middleweight like Rockhold can get caught by her, and a decent sized welterweight and legit Gracie BJJ black belt like Nick Diaz has to really go hard to keep her at bay...I think she'd be a real problem for a lot of the 135ers and below. Of course, I'm not saying she'd beat Garbrandt or Cruz or anything like that. But for people to dismiss her (or any woman fighter) beating any male fighter is almost comical to me and I think it has to be rooted in some kind of chauvinistic male insecurity. 

I honestly think Joanna Jedrzejczyk could be top 5 in the men's flyweight division. Yeah, I said it. 

• Paid Members

I have no conscience. 

Actually, you've just reminded me. Where the fuck is John Lineker? Haven't heard a peep about him since he lost to Dillashaw in December. He hasn't got anything booked, has he? 

Edit - ok, just read that he broke his jaw in the first round against TJ. Then still went the distance. John Lineker is fucking solid. 

Archived