The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Apparently the UFC are trying to put together an Anderson Silva vs Luke Rockhold fight now since Gastelum got pulled for weed. Im guessing they want to keep Anderson on UFC 212 and they're probably targeting it for then, so they'll need to get that signed soon. 

Don't like that fight for Anderson. He's most likely losing that one and I can't stomach Rockhold. I'd love to see Anderson roll back the years and pull out some ninja shit and put Rockhold on his smug arse but I can't see it ending well. Be shit if Rockhold stops him, especially in Brazil. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/04/2017 at 6:53 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah the second fight was so crap. Maybe the worst fight that year. Certainly the worst high profile one. 

I think it'll be better this time. Werdum's come on as a striker since then and Overeem's a bit of a different fighter offensively now as well, more methodical/careful than he used to be. Plus it's the trilogy decider so you'd think they'll be more motivated because the winner gets to get the last laugh. I don't think it'll be a barnburner war type fight but I think it will be good. 

Aye, I fancy Werdum to win by knockout. Imagine making that prediction going into their second fight, you would be scoffed at. 

• Paid Members
On 4/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, jimufctna24 said:

Aye, I fancy Werdum to win by knockout. Imagine making that prediction going into their second fight, you would be scoffed at. 

I'm thinking the opposite. I fancy Overeem absolutely destroying Werdum. In fact, after his shambles performance against Stipe, I think we've seen the last of Werdum at the top of the heavyweight division. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

Belfort is stepping in to face Anderson Silva at UFC 212, according to Fighters Only.

I think that's perfect for both parties involved. Neither should be near the elite of the division and if Belfort stands by his promise, it's perfect for his last fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm all for that. I'm actually more into that fight than I was Anderson vs Gastelum to be honest. As much as it could've been a starmaking night for Gastelum if he won, I've wanted to see the Anderson vs Belfort rematch for years and in a warped way it's more interesting now they're both on the way out. It's almost a different fight entirely than it was the first time. Anderson was dialled into his prime back then and Vitor was probably on all manner of chemicals (well, they both might've been). They've been through a lot of ups and downs since then. I like it.

6 hours ago, lambyUK said:

I'm thinking the opposite. I fancy Overeem absolutely destroying Werdum. In fact, after his shambles performance against Stipe, I think we've seen the last of Werdum at the top of the heavyweight division. 

This is the beauty of Heavyweight MMA. Despite out opposing predictions, both of us could easily be correct, and I don't think it would be that surprising either way. 

2 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

Belfort is stepping in to face Anderson Silva at UFC 212, according to Fighters Only.

Yep, a much better fight. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I'm all for that. I'm actually more into that fight than I was Anderson vs Gastelum to be honest. As much as it could've been a starmaking night for Gastelum if he won, I've wanted to see the Anderson vs Belfort rematch for years and in a warped way it's more interesting now they're both on the way out. It's almost a different fight entirely than it was the first time. Anderson was dialled into his prime back then and Vitor was probably on all manner of chemicals (well, they both might've been). They've been through a lot of ups and downs since then. I like it.

I actually think he wasn't at that point, at least using the eye test anyway. It was when he returned after that loss he became TRT Vitor. 

• Paid Members

He probably dabbled for years. Remember he failed a test back in 2006 after the first Hendo fight in Pride. There was a point where he looked a bit more normal/saggy though, around the time he returned to the UFC and fought Rich Franklin. Who knows with Vitor? 

I hope this fight does happen. Whacking that on under Aldo vs Holloway and maybe adding something like a Shogun fight (vs Manuwa?) and maybe even Nunes vs Shevchenko 2 and I think you've got a really strong main card there. 

• Paid Members

Then that begs the question, does Anderson know who Yoel Romero is? I'd say Romero is probably the worst matchup for him of the lot. It's between him and Rockhold and I think Romero's wrestling, physical strength, weird movement and timing would give Anderson big problems. Not to mention Romero doesn't mind not engaging for long spells, even if it makes the fight boring, if it means he gets that one chance to explode and destroy. So I don't think Anderson's counter striking game would work either. Yoel's only aggressive in short bursts but fucking hell he makes them count.

Thinking about it, Romero might be THE worst matchup for Anderson in the division. I can understand him not being keen on the Belfort rematch because how do you top that first KO? But if I was Anderson I'd be pushing for Diaz and whoever ends up the loser of Bisping/GSP. Name fights that he at least has a fighting chance of winning. 

Just throwing it out there...I wonder if Anderson would consider a third go with Weidman? You could see why the UFC might go for that, it's easy to tell that story and Weidman's in no mans land at the moment anyway. 

• Paid Members

This news completely went under my radar and I haven't seen it posted here but Marlon Moraes has signed with the UFC and is making his debut against Raphael Assuncao at UFC 212 in Brazil. 

Really happy to see he's coming in. Been a fan for a while now. Tough debut though. 

• Paid Members

Haven't got a clue. And it's getting late in the day now. That card is in June and training camps are usually what, 6-8 weeks or so? If nothing is sorted in the next week or so he's probably off the card altogether. And 212 needs beefing up. Just looked at the card again now and it could really do with Anderson on it. Aldo vs Holloway is fantastic and I love the Gadelha vs Kowalkiewicz fight as well. Moraes vs Assuncao is a nice addition but I'm thinking if (god forbid) the main event falls out, and it's obviously well documented that Aldo is prone to injuries, they're pretty fucked. Can't see the women's fight headlining on a PPV. 

Hopefully they get Anderson to agree to something. I read he's turned down Rockhold, Belfort and Romero now. Who's he holding out for? Maybe he should've just taken the fight with Vitor. It's the most winnable fight of the bunch and he's still a big name. Luke Thomas was saying something that Anderson doesn't want it because Belfort is more popular than him in Rio or something and he doesn't want to be the villain. What the fuck? 

Edit - man, 212 is right at the start of June as well, so even less time to get something sorted. 

Archived