The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I saw TUF 1 around 6 months after it originally aired. I was surprised how little Forrest was featured on the show. The likes of Leben, Kos, Southworth, and even Hoger were much more prominent characters. Bonnar had that memorable run-in with Sanchez in the kitchen, but he was also in the background most of the time. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed that the suicide mission of BJ Penn continues. At this point I just feel though he's going to keep taking a battering until he winds up beating a complete can. If having his head kicked in by Yair doesn't prompt him to call it a day, I doubt much will sadly.

• Paid Members

To be honest, I've got no problem with BJ vs Siver. It's the fight he should have had to begin. I do think against the mid to low range guys of the division he can still compete with, but he should be nowhere near likes of Yair or Lamas (who he was also booked against). 

Have him face the Cole Millers etc. 

• Paid Members

To be honest, I've got no problem with BJ vs Siver. It's the fight he should have had to begin. I do think against the mid to low range guys of the division he can still compete with, but he should be nowhere near likes of Yair or Lamas (who was also booked against). 

Have him face the Cole Millers etc. 

I was thinking the same. It's actually a pretty good fight for him to retire on.

Edit: actually ... the same could be said for Siver!

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a far better alternative then having him face someone like Yair or Lamas, I just can't find myself enjoying a Penn fight now without being more concerned for his overall well being as opposed to enjoying the fight.

• Paid Members

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a far better alternative then having him face someone like Yair or Lamas, I just can't find myself enjoying a Penn fight now without being more concerned for his overall well being as opposed to enjoying the fight.

The one major thing Penn has is that he's not been KO'd a lot. TKO yes, but in terms of getting his lights shut off he hasn't been too bad. 

Penn just isn't elite anymore, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to compete still, as long as it's the right opponent I'm fine with it. 

The one major thing Penn has is that he's not been KO'd a lot. TKO yes, but in terms of getting his lights shut off he hasn't been too bad. 

Penn just isn't elite anymore, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to compete still, as long as it's the right opponent I'm fine with it. 

In some ways I'd say his ability to avoid getting completely knocked out can be a burden to him. He ends up taking a glutton of punishment when there's occasions where it would probably end up being kinder on him if his body just decided to momentarily shut down. I'm all for him still competing, he's not particularly as shot as the likes of Bigfoot, but only against the right guy. To me, even Siver is a bridge too far for him at this moment in time, especially after having his cranium booted around by Yair. His desire to compete is admirable yet terrifying at the same time.

• Paid Members

Yeah, also the fact he's not getting knocked out cold is probably playing a part in him convincing himself he's still in these fights. When he's really, really not. In a warped way he probably thinks he was on his way to making big comebacks when the refs stopped his last couple of fights. This is a man who thought he was going to fight Andrei Arlovski for the heavyweight title in 2005 for fuck's sake. In reality he hasn't had anything close to a competitive fight since Nick Diaz. Six years ago! And even that turned into a one way beatdown in favour of Diaz towards the end.

When Chuck Liddell was right at the end of his career and getting KO'd regularly, in every interview between those losses he kept saying "I just got caught" and that he was better than ever in the gym. It was only when Dana refused to keep giving him fights, and no doubt Dana had to sit down with him a bunch of times and talk it out, that he was finally convinced that it was for the best that he retire. I know they have to contractually offer their active fighters fights but surely in the case of guys like BJ Penn and Bigfoot Silva, they're at that Chuck Liddell stage now? They're never going to stop if it's left up to them. If I was the guy making the big decisions (whoever that is these days) I'd just stop offering BJ fights and if he insists on carrying on and there's still fights on his deal, maybe they'll have to cut him loose and let him go elsewhere. You'd hope if it came to that he'd stop but I've no doubt he'd be straight on the blower to Scott Coker to continue turning his brain into soup in Bellator. I know the UFC don't want Bellator getting any more name fighters but there comes a point where they'll need to weigh up whether it's even worth keeping him around. With every brutal loss his legacy, value as a name and most importantly his long term health are diminishing. It's sounds overly dramatic but nothing good is going to come of offering BJ Penn (or Bigfoot) more fights. It's getting really sad to see. And I'm not even convinced he will be much more competitive against guys at the Dennis Siver level, to be honest. He might but we've seen nothing to suggest he's got anything left. My confidence in BJ Penn today is as shot as he is.

• Paid Members

Yeh, BJ has taken some hideous beatings in the last few years, it's quite sad to see such a legendary fighter end up loosing fights the way he is.

It's worse than the Chuck Liddell losses for me. Chuck was getting put out but actually fought pretty well in his last few fights despite losing. BJ has just gone to shit, it feels like the entire game overtook him. It's a strange thing because on paper you'd think BJ has a diverse enough skillset to still compete but he just seems to be step behind. Ive mentioned it before numerous times but BJ Penn has never been able to come back from fallen behind in a fight, when fights aint going well for him he goes into his shell and just gets beaten up, and in recent years thats all thats happened to him.

• Paid Members

From a fan perspective there's little point in keeping him around too. For fans that know him from old it's a case of not wanting to see him continue to destroy his legacy and health and for new fans he's just some guy that apparently is a legend but always gets badly beaten. It's just not entertaining to watch for anyone.

• Paid Members

Bellator's June PPV is shaping up nicely.

BellatorMSG_3x2_600.png?resize=600%2C381

Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione

Douglas Lima vs. Lorenz Larkin - 170lb Title Fight

Michael Chandler vs. Brent Primus - 155lb Title Fight

I am all over that, Chandler could have done with a better name for his fight but he's must-see TV so it works for me. I was expecting Davis/Bader to be on there but i dunno if they'd go for 3 title fights on one show? They may save that one for a headline spot of it's own.

Archived