The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah, Arlovski's gone complete 50/50 on this UFC run. Started off with a 4 fight win streak. Then follows that up with a 4 fight losing streak. He's Dan Hardy'd it up.

Speaking of Hardy, he's got a book that's just come out. Probably be worth a look.

always had the impression that Arlovski was on borrowed time, what a strange career he's had.

Completely unrelated. Justin Gaethje is officially a free agent, by all accounts he was earning a decent wedge with WSOF so i imagine there's be some kind of bidding war for him, i'll be happy with either the UFC or Bellator.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Said in an interview he's coming back for marquee fights only. Doesn't want a title run, just one or two big fights a year to tie him over. Enjoys the commentary gig to much.

Is he a big enough a name for that? Maybe as a one off come back but is he big enough to do what the Diaz's and Anderson Silva are doing now?

• Paid Members

Said in an interview he's coming back for marquee fights only. Doesn't want a title run, just one or two big fights a year to tie him over. Enjoys the commentary gig to much.

Is he a big enough a name for that? Maybe as a one off come back but is he big enough to do what the Diaz's and Anderson Silva are doing now?

Pretty much my thoughts really. Hardy is pretty much known now for being KO'd viciously by Condit and demonstrating that he has rubber limbs for not tapping out against GSP. His biggest scalp is Mick Swick for fucks sake.

Granted his profile has increased due to his analyst and commentary work, but that still doesn't warrant a Marquee fight. 

• Paid Members

It depends on where Hardy is fighting. If it's in Des Moines, then Hardy probably shouldn't get a marquee fight. But put it on in London or ideally Nottingham, then it makes sense to give Hardy a big fight, one that can sell tickets.

It's a two way thing though. You can't simply say give him a big if it's London or Nottingham as his opponent has to agree to fight Hardy first.

I just can't see why anyone with a decent name would want to fight Hardy? At the most a Diego Sanchez or hell, even a shot BJ Penn.

• Paid Members

It depends on where Hardy is fighting. If it's in Des Moines, then Hardy probably shouldn't get a marquee fight. But put it on in London or ideally Nottingham, then it makes sense to give Hardy a big fight, one that can sell tickets.

It's a two way thing though. You can't simply say give him a big if it's London or Nottingham as his opponent has to agree to fight Hardy first.

I just can't see why anyone with a decent name would want to fight Hardy? At the most a Diego Sanchez or hell, even a shot BJ Penn.

There's not always the choice. Look at Bisping as a prime example, he just fought who they put in front of him. He made no qualms about wanting better opponents than the likes of Denis Kang but that's who he got. A headline fight on a Fight Night card on Fox isn't that much of a shabby prospect.

You can say the same thing about every fight because you can't make it unless both sides agree to it.

Why would anyone with a decent name want to fight Hardy? Perhaps because it's a very winnable fight against a guy who will sell the fight to the masses and therefore increase that fighters exposure? That's the kind of opponent most fighters would jump at the chance of facing. You think Mickey Gall challenged CM Punk because he thought Punk would give him a tough test? Hell no. He challenged him because it was a winnable fight that would increase his exposure. And guess what? It worked. He won the fight and it increased his exposure.

• Paid Members

There's not always the choice. Look at Bisping as a prime example, he just fought who they put in front of him. He made no qualms about wanting better opponents than the likes of Denis Kang but that's who he got. A headline fight on a Fight Night card on Fox isn't that much of a shabby prospect.

That's not comparable at all Mike. Hardy is only interested in the odd fight, and only wants big fights as he's not interested in chasing titles. He's not currently an active fighter. 

Bisping at the time was coming off a loss to Dan Henderson, and had to get back in the win column in an attempt to get to a title eliminator and was in a completely different point in his career. 

I agree that if a carrot of a Fox headline slot was put in front of a potential opponent for Hardy then it may entice them to take it, but I also doubt whether Hardy could headline a card at all. He didn't even headline a card in his home town of Nottingham.

Hardy just isn't a big enough name to attract a big fighter for me. 

You can say the same thing about every fight because you can't make it unless both sides agree to it.

Why would anyone with a decent name want to fight Hardy? Perhaps because it's a very winnable fight against a guy who will sell the fight to the masses and therefore increase that fighters exposure? That's the kind of opponent most fighters would jump at the chance of facing. You think Mickey Gall challenged CM Punk because he thought Punk would give him a tough test? Hell no. He challenged him because it was a winnable fight that would increase his exposure. And guess what? It worked.

All that would be relevant if Hardy was a big name, which is the point here. He's not a big name outside of his home town, and that won't change. 

CM Punk is a huge name and did in fact gain Gall a load of exposure, but not to repeat myself, isn't something Hardy would do . He only wants to fight a big name, and someone who doesn't need the type of rub Mickey Gall needed at his stage of career.

It's the reason Hardy in fact turned down Gall. He's not interested in that at all.

Dillion Danis vs Jake Shields has been announced for the main event of SUG's 4th event, in a nice bout between McGregor and Diaz training partners.

• Paid Members

That's not comparable at all Mike. Hardy is only interested in the odd fight, and only wants big fights as he's not interested in chasing titles. He's not currently an active fighter. 

Sorry, I was referring to whoever Hardy's opponent is going to be, not Hardy himself. If the UFC told a top 5 ranked fighter who didn't have anything lined up that their next opponent is Hardy in a Fox headline fight it wouldn't necessarily be a bad offer.

• Paid Members

Sorry, I was referring to whoever Hardy's opponent is going to be, not Hardy himself. If the UFC told a top 5 ranked fighter who didn't have anything lined up that their next opponent is Hardy in a Fox headline fight it wouldn't necessarily be a bad offer.

Perhaps. Is that the type of fight Hardy is looking for? Top 5 these days doesn't necessarily have big name recognition.

It really depends on the opponent Hardy is willing to take. Again, if it's just big names, he's not a big name himself in order to actually make that request. If it's just someone who's just established then that's another matter. 

• Paid Members

On Bisping's podcast this week he was saying that the June International Fight Week PPV was penciled in for the GSP fight. He also says that GSP is making noises about not being ready and that he wants the fight delayed ... possibly as late as September or October. Bisping goes on to say that if it has to be as late as September then he's out and wants a different fight.

No doubt some of that is Bisping trying to force GSPs hand and also wishful thinking because he knows the June PPV means more money. Still interesting that GSP wants to delay though. Seems weird to announce a comeback and an opponent but then want to wait so long before the fight.

• Paid Members

Dillion Danis vs Jake Shields has been announced for the main event of SUG's 4th event, in a nice bout between McGregor and Diaz training partners.

Danis has also signed with Bellator and is expected to fight in New York. No idea how he'll do but he likes to run his mouth. He's already claiming he's the highest paid fighter in Bellator and has a bigger following than anyone else there...which is complete bollocks.

• Paid Members

David Haye has said he's up for fight Jimi Manuwa on the undercard of McGregor/Mayweather and claims he's been contacted by the UFC and Manuwa's managegement. I'm scepical, but maybe there was more behind Manuwa's callout than we all thought.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3212443/david-haye-jimi-manuwa-conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-ufc-boxing/

• Paid Members

David Haye has said he's up for fight Jimi Manuwa on the undercard of McGregor/Mayweather and claims he's been contacted by the UFC and Manuwa's managegement. I'm scepical, but maybe there was more behind Manuwa's callout than we all thought.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3212443/david-haye-jimi-manuwa-conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-ufc-boxing/

Fingers crossed. That would make a great addition to the card.

Archived