The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I have to admit, they're going for TJ/Cody on the Friday night of that weekend aren't they? Jones/DC 2 | TJ/Cody is a better set of PPV headliners. Still not sold that Cyborg is remotely popular with the public.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
10 hours ago, seanz25 said:

I have to admit, they're going for TJ/Cody on the Friday night of that weekend aren't they? Jones/DC 2 | TJ/Cody is a better set of PPV headliners. Still not sold that Cyborg is remotely popular with the public.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. They could easily swap those two fights round. It makes sense to have DC / Jones 2 that weekend though - plenty of options if it falls through. I bet Bisping is pissed off though.

• Paid Members

Frankly GSP can go fuck himself at this point. We're being deprived of some amazing potential title fights involving Romero, Bisping, Rockhold, Mousasi and now Whittaker. Romero in particular is in the twilight of his career crazily and the fact we're being deprived of a possible title run from one of these beasts over a guy who frankly doesn't look mentally right to return to fighting to me is infuriating.

GSP has been in relentless training camps leading up to his decision to come back and yet he's still holding up the division. On top of that, if he does win, he has absolutely no intention of defending it against the beasts of that division. 

He just needs to fuck off back to welterweight or even lightweight. I honestly hope Bisping batters him. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Frankly GSP can go fuck himself at this point. We're being deprived of some amazing potential title fights involving Romero, Bisping, Rockhold, Mousasi and now Whittaker. Romero in particular is in the twilight of his career crazily and the fact we're being deprived of a possible title run from one of these beasts over a guy who frankly doesn't look mentally right to return to fighting to me is infuriating.

GSP has been in relentless training camps leading up to his decision to come back and yet he's still holding up the division. On top of that, if he does win, he has absolutely no intention of defending it against the beasts of that division. 

He just needs to fuck off back to welterweight or even lightweight. I honestly hope Bisping batters him. 

Totally agree. I just don't understand the sense in announcing a come back and then a fight but not agreeing to a date. Unless something happened shortly after announcing the comeback and fight that we don't know about it, it's nonsense.

• Paid Members

The level of disrespect is unforgivable, young man. Tut tut.

The rest of the division is eating up the old contenders and shitting out newer ones. Only really Yoel is getting shafted. Granted, if it drags on through to late in the year then GSP is holding up the division.

Blaming GSP for holding up the middleweight division is to completely misunderstand the situation. Any blame for holding up the middleweight division rests solely with the UFC. All GSP did was do what every fighter should do and would have done in the same situation. He negotiated the best deal he could get for himself. Whether GSP deserves it or not is completely irrelevant. It’s the UFC who ultimately agreed to his terms. They signed off on the deal. Blame them.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Blaming GSP for holding up the middleweight division is to completely misunderstand the situation. Any blame for holding up the middleweight division rests solely with the UFC. All GSP did was do what every fighter should do and would have done in the same situation. He negotiated the best deal he could get for himself. Whether GSP deserves it or not is completely irrelevant. It’s the UFC who ultimately agreed to his terms. They signed off on the deal. Blame them.

I never said that there's no other people to blame here. However, it's a well known fact that GSP is delaying the date and what was already a stacked top of the division in waiting, has now been further compacted by his reluctance to sign off on a date.

The UFC were idiots for allowing a press conference to be held for a fight where a date wasn't even agreed, but GSP isn't doing himself any favours by stringing everyone along by refusing to sign on the dotted line.

There's no misunderstanding whatsoever on my part, I personally think GSP has opted for the easy road as if Romero, Rockhold, Weidman, or Mousasi were middleweight champion, he wouldn't have entertained the idea of fighting at middleweight. 

I've got absolutely no doubt in my mind too that if he somehow does beat Bisping, he will drop the belt immediately as he knows he gets mauled by the above mentioned fighters. 

In the end, I think what's he doing is a waste of everyone's time and that's the reason why he can piss off. 

Again, it's the UFC enabling the actions of GSP. They, at any time, can say that GSP is not delivering his end of their agreement and tell Bisping he’s defending against Yoel Romero or whoever. As long as the UFC choose not to, as long as they allow GSP to dictate how things are going, whatever happens is entirely on them.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Again, it's the UFC enabling the actions of GSP. They, at any time, can say that GSP is not delivering his end of their agreement and tell Bisping he’s defending against Yoel Romero or whoever. As long as the UFC choose not to, as long as they allow GSP to dictate how things are going, whatever happens is entirely on them.

So as long as you're allowed to act like a twat and have no repercussions then it's fine to act like a twat?

Don't be ridiculous. Just because the UFC are allowing him to get away with it doesn't make him less of an arsehole for doing what he's doing.

As I've said above, my opinion is based on far more than simply GSP holding up the division. 

Dont forget there are two PPVs in July. The one after July 4 weekend (International Fight Week, preluded by the hall of fame and TUF finale) and then 214 in Anaheim at the end of the month. 

Are there any recent updates on GSP? Seems he wants to fight in Toronto in September, but I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to get ready in time for the big July card in Vegas. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Would the GSP/Bisping fight be worth holding off on for a return to MSG at the end of the year? They did a monster hate the first time round, and is a testament to McGregor's drawing power, but surely GSP's return would top that

Bisping has come out and said he won't wait that long.

In other news. Travis Browne and Ronda Rousey are engaged. She's never coming back to MMA, is she ...

Source: https://t.co/ZWhgyNwtaF

• Paid Members

Probably not and, to be honest, fair play to her. Not many fighters get out rich and healthy (ok, bar the dodgy knees) while they're still young. Without checking I don't even think she's 30 yet. She's still got time to have kids and all that good stuff and she's (I assume) set for life financially. 

She didn't go out on a positive note and she certainly could've handled things better, but the end result is probably for the best. You've got to remember as well, while she was only in MMA a few years, she was an athlete from childhood and judo is gruelling as fuck. She's put her body through a lot of shit over the years. And judging by how she unravelled after the initial loss to Holly Holm, she doesn't seem mentally right for it. The fallout after Holm and everything pre and post-fight with Nunes was uncomfortable to watch for me. I don't want to see her come back. 

Archived