The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

29 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He must really believe he can beat Yoel or I don't think he'd keep pushing for it. I guess you have to have that confidence but it's crackers all the same. He's going to get hurt if this fight happens. There's still fights Anderson can win, and I don't even think Yoel is unbeatable or anything. But the way those two match up style wise, the timing of it when you factor in their opposite career trajectories currently, the fact that Anderson doesn't evade or take shots as well as he used to... it's not going to end well for Anderson if they make this fight. 

For Yoel, I wouldn't blame him taking this fight. It's a fight he's likely to win, against a big name, it'll probably be the biggest payday so far of his career and it keeps him active with this Bisping vs GSP fight keep getting delayed. If it does be for an interim title (which would be frankly ridiculous) then Yoel winning that then solidifies him getting the next shot even more and would make it damn near impossible for anyone else (Whittaker) to leapfrog him and get the next title shot instead. So for Romero this actually makes some sense. Anderson wanting it baffles me though. 

Apparently, Romero phoned into the MMA Hour while Anderson was on there and they were talking at each other in 'English'. That should make for car crash listening. 

Yeah, as you infer to a prime Anderson against current day Romero would be a fascinating bout, but this is present day, and that Anderson is gone. The speed, the reflexes have really badly depleted and it's more evident every time he steps into the octagon. If Derek Brunson can take Silva down at will, you better believe that Romero is going to be able to do that without any problems. I don't think Anderson is fast enough to catch Yoel with anything significant to be honest, meaning the most likely scenario is Yoel smashing Anderson up from the ground. 

It really is confusing why Anderson wants the fight so much. Romero is an utter freak of an athlete, with a style that would give him nightmares. Even though he's a big name, he's not a superstar is he? There's a lot of better options for him to take. After his years of service, I'm sure Dana wouldn't refuse Silva an easy fight for him to retire on in his own backyard. Perhaps he just really fancies a challenge, but whatever his reasoning, it won't end up going well for him if this fight does happen. 

EDIT: On the topic of Yoel, it gives me an excuse to post this. Despite the fucking brutal way he finished Weidman, this is the main aspect of that fight I remember. This takedown and sprawl combination is one of the smoothest and most impressive things I've seen watching MMA. If he can do this to a hugely accomplished wrestler in Weidman, imagine how easily he could ragdoll Anderson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zivNuFqCpc&t=3m17s

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My view is that Anderson is looking for a title fight and that he sees this as the best and most likely way he’ll get it, because the odds are greatly against him earning one through more conventional means. Whether Anderson thinks he can beat Romero is another matter, and it’s almost immaterial, because he clearly feels that it’s a fight against Romero, above anyone else available, that can have an interim title attached to it.

This quote comes from BJPenn.com, not sure how reliable they are so take this with a grain of salt:

Former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis had a bit of a tough run as a featherweight. Though he defeated Charles Oliveira in his first fight in the division, he would be TKO’d by Max Holloway in his second – which really wasn’t even technically a featherweight bout, as he missed the division’s 145-pound limit. After his tough loss to Holloway, Pettis confirmed that he’d had enough of the rather difficult cut to featherweight, and that he planned to return to the lightweight division where he once wore gold.

According to a report from Brazilian publication Combate, the former champ now has an opponent for this lightweight return. He’ll apparently be taking on accomplished lightweight veteran Jim Miller at UFC 213, which goes down in the combat sports mecca of Las Vegas, Nevada this July 8.

Love the sound of that fight should it come to fruition. 

• Paid Members

Fuck sake. If that comes off then 213 is going to be ridiculous. Cody vs TJ, Overeem vs Werdum 3, Lawler vs Cerrone, Pettis vs Miller. Sign me up for that shit. 

There was talk about a week ago of Robert Whittaker vs Luke Rockhold on that card as well. I'm guessing they'll probably save that for another card now. Can't have all the eggs in one basket.  

• Paid Members

With regards to Silva wanting to challenge Romero, could it be simply a last throw of the dice for Anderson? That he sees this as "win big or retire"? If he beats Romero, with one stroke he keeps the idea alive that he's still relevant and still belongs amongst the elite of the sport. And, as with any gamble, if it doesn't pay off, it means the end for him as a top fighter. Maybe that's what he's effectively betting his fighting soul on?

TUF 26 is to crown the first Female Flyweight champion, that's 12 belts they will have 8 men and 4 females, female divisions aren't all that strong. I can see maybe a few current fighters heading down or up a weight class and going on this, Then after a few more who dont speak English will do the same.

I'm guessing they are just going to ride out the TUF deal until they sign a new TV contract with someone going into 2019.

Personally I would prefer a weekly show with young guys or vets on their way out like Friday Night Fights used to do for Boxing.

Daniel Cornier took Anderson down with ease but never hurt him once on 3 days notice, Anderson can beat him on their feet but if he can avoid much GNP he might take over in a long fight especially a 5 round fight, he would be the underdog but it's worth a shot.

Its Ramadan , so Khabib won't be fighting and after that is done he'll probably need a few months to get in shape, think he said he would be ready for August.

Ugly Tony wants Nate instead, he's been calling him out and Nate said its bullshit and Tony & McGregor have the same manager and they are trying to use him to make Tony a bigger name, so if McGregor Vs Ferguson happens it does as big of buy rate as possible.

• Paid Members

Really could care less about a women's 125lb division. I've got to the point now where outside of a few of the top females i just fast forward the women's fights. The divisions are so thin i don't really see why the UFC keep adding more, outside of making it a platform to market pretty chicks.

• Paid Members

They really screwed up not putting more steam behind Nunes before and after the Rousey loss. Seeing as Rousey probably isn't coming back, it's proven to be a bit of a goal kick, long term. Fair enough, they got that big buyrate out of that fight by being so Rousey heavy, but it's also meant not many people are so arsed about Nunes or Nunes defending the belt - compare Nunes to Holm, who did receive heavy promotion before and after, it's a joke the difference.

• Paid Members

Yeah they dropped a bollock with Nunes. It's not even like you can't promote her. She looks like a badass, she fights like she's Pride Wandy with PMT, she finishes fights and is exciting to watch, she's coming off smashing the two biggest female stars in the sport in Rousey and Tate, first ever openly gay UFC champion, rags to riches (well, hopefully she's well on the way to becoming rich) story, doesn't speak great English but she tries and she'll talk your head off. If she also had Paige Vanzant's face and Miesha Tate's tits and arse she'd be a HUGE star. But she doesn't so it seems they're not as keen to push her very heavily. It's just the way it is. 

The sad thing is I can't see it getting much bigger for her than it already is. Who can she beat that would be a bigger feather in her cap than destroying Rousey and Tate in back to back fights? 

I hope one day we get a Nunes vs Cyborg fight. 

Archived