The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Hopefully they get Anderson to agree to something. I read he's turned down Rockhold, Belfort and Romero now. Who's he holding out for? Maybe he should've just taken the fight with Vitor. It's the most winnable fight of the bunch and he's still a big name. Luke Thomas was saying something that Anderson doesn't want it because Belfort is more popular than him in Rio or something and he doesn't want to be the villain. What the fuck? 

I remember Silva being really odd during the build up with Belfort. Odder than normal anyway. It seemed really personal for him.

Maybe he had felt in Belforts shadow at home in Brazil. There was suggestions he felt racism because of his dark skin compared to Vitors light skin. That is a big issue in Brazil in general alot of Brazilian football players speak of the same issues. He was very angry and on edge during the build up to that fight. Vitor has been after a rematch for years and Anderson is always dismissive. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, it always felt like there was more to the buildup to the Anderson vs Vitor fight than we were really privy to. Anderson was acting weird, even at the weigh in with that white mask and stuff. Maybe that was linked to the skin colour thing actually now you mention that. 

I do kind of get why Anderson would be hesitant to rematch him because even if he knocks Vitor out again, he's not likely topping the first knockout. And I suppose, like with anything, why do it again if you can't do it as good as the original? If he said that I don't think many could argue. But this thing about Vitor being more popular in Rio seems like a weird reason not to do it. If everyone thought like that then no fucker would fight GSP in Canada or McGregor in Ireland. 

Shame though as I was actually looking forward to Anderson vs Vitor 2. It's one of the few fights left that I'm interested in seeing for either guy and it would've made for a fitting swansong for Belfort. 

Edit - 

Look at this fan made poster for Garbrandt vs Dillashaw. Incredible. 

image.jpg

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I remember Silva being really odd during the build up with Belfort. Odder than normal anyway. It seemed really personal for him.

Maybe he had felt in Belforts shadow at home in Brazil. There was suggestions he felt racism because of his dark skin compared to Vitors light skin. That is a big issue in Brazil in general alot of Brazilian football players speak of the same issues. He was very angry and on edge during the build up to that fight. Vitor has been after a rematch for years and Anderson is always dismissive. 

Didn't the animosity have to do with Belfort leaving Chute Box? There was also something about Belfort's sister being kidnapped and murdered. Anderson felt that Belfort turned his back on him and Chute Box after they supported Belfort through what would have been an horrendous period for him.

I'd be up for Anderson vs Rashad.

There was speculation that Anderson mocked Belfort's sister being kidnapped at the weigh-in for their first encounter. I cant remember the exact details. All I remember is that the speculation was ill-founded. 

Here's is a chronology of the Silva vs Belfort feud that circulated on forums before their first fight. I can't verify everything that is written, but taken at face value, it seems quite accurate - http://forum.mmajunkie.com/forum/threads/the-story-behind-as-and-vitors-beef.35319/

17 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Interesting. I don't even remember Belfort training with Chute Boxe. 

My recollection is that the Chute Boxe and BTT camps became more fragmented as time wore on. Key members of both camps left, and even mixed with the other side. Someone should write a book about that rivalry though. At its peak, it was scorching hot. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, a lot of it probably isn't known outside Brazil and Pride circles. I wish some of the Brazilian legends would do autobiographies. Imagine the stories Big Nog has, for example. From nearly dying getting run over by a truck as a kid, the BJJ stuff, RINGS, Pride, UFC. It'd be an amazing read. 

Just been reading that link you posted Jim. 

People like Vitor, Vitor is popular in Brazil, like I said, he defined a generation, he performed oral sex on Joana Prado's feet live on television for millions of people, every guy is jealous of him. 

What in the fuck?! Brazilians must have some odd role models. 

• Paid Members

:laugh: 

I'll never forget their heaction to Howdy Honda Housey when she fought Bethe Correia. What a heception that was! 

And yeah, Bosslogic is responsible for that great poster. Meant to give credit when I originally posted that. 

Whatever happened to NickTheFace who used to do those incredible fan made promo videos? He was the daddy for them. 

• Paid Members

Ariel reckons the UFC want Cyborg / Germaine De Randamie and DC / Jones 2 for the July PPV.

Makes sense. GDR / Cyborg isn't big enough on its own and DC / Jones is too risky on its own.

Archived