The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been confirmed that UFC 216 will take place in Edmonton, Canada. Won't link a source because I'm on my phone but a quick scan of Twitter will tell you all you need to know.

Have to presume this is the date they run Bisping/GSP. If not then my excitement for that fight has really depleted.

• Paid Members

Yep, September 9th. It's got to be Bisping vs GSP really, hasn't it? They don't do PPVs in Canada that often and I still think 206 in December was supposed to be GSP's return but the negotiations went a bit pear shaped and the time ran out to get it done. 

It just seems too much of a good fit and too much of a coincidence that they've announced a PPV for Canada right around the time that fight should be happening. 

It's got to be that. Surely. 

22 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Have to presume this is the date they run Bisping/GSP. If not then my excitement for that fight has really depleted.

I expect my anticipation to warm up nearer the time. They gelled well together at the fight announcement presser. I'm still fascinated to see how GSP fares against a legitimate Middleweight in Bisping, especially as he's coming off a 4 year lay-off. 

These days, I only tend to get excited for fights during the actual fight week. Fights comes thick and fast these days, especially if you are into both boxing and MMA. The days of counting down the weeks leading up to a big fight are long gone. Barring perhaps the most special of occasions. 

• Paid Members
On 27 April 2017 at 1:49 PM, Egg Shen said:

Justin Gaethje has officially signed with the UFC, most excited ive been about a signing in some time. Gaethje is the man.

Yeah, can't wait to see how he does in the big league. Who do WSOF have left now? Losing Gaethje and Moraes this year is going to be a big blow for them. They were pretty much the only two who got me checking out their shows. Can't see me hunting down the latest Jake Shields humpfest in a hurry. 

• Paid Members

It's not popping up anywhere reliable so take with loads of salt but there's rumours on a few sites and on twitter that Tyron Woodley vs Nick Diaz is in the works for UFC 213 in July.

Another title shot for Diaz? People will cry but if this comes off then fair play to him. For someone who people take the piss out of and act like he's dumb, he gets exactly what he wants most of the time. 

I won't be surprised if it happens either. When you think about it, 170 is a strong division but it isn't heaving with immediate options for title fights. The Wonderboy thing is done for the time being, GSP's off doing the middleweight thing, Lawler needs to build himself back up, Cowboy too. You've only got the Maia vs Masvidal winner and that fight doesn't happen until mid May. If they can get Woodley vs Diaz on that July PPV, timing will work out nicely for the winner to face Maia/Masvidal later in the year. Unless Diaz wins, in which case he'll refuse to fight anyone, the title will be vacated, then he'll fail the weed test and disappear for two years again. 

Personally I hope it happens just to see how Woodley spins it as the UFC being racist against him again. You know he will. Even if they give him exactly what he's been crying out for - a money fight against a big name in Diaz - you just know he'll find some way to claim that 'the man' is just trying to hold a brother down. If there's an angle to take to whip out the card, Woodley will find it. Bank on that. 

• Paid Members

The Diaz Brothers are just operating on their own terms now, they've sort of outgrown the rankings system themselves, they are such big draws now that the UFC will bend over for them if it means banking serious cheddar.

• Paid Members

What I think makes Woodley vs Diaz more likely as well is they could do with a big name to headline 213. If you remember they were rumoured to be targeting the Bisping vs GSP fight for that show. Now that's been delayed until probably September, Cormier vs Jones 2 is meant to be happening at 214 and McGregor won't be back by then. 

213 is already a strong as fuck looking card. But I can definitely see them wanting a name like Diaz in the main event. 

If the fight does happen, look at this lineup...

Tyron Woodley vs Nick Diaz - Welterweight Title

Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw - Bantamweight Title

Fabricio Werdum vs Alistair Overeem 3 

Robbie Lawler vs Donald Cerrone 

That's some card. July is going to be fantastic between this at the start of the month and the DC vs Jones 2 PPV at the end of the month. 

I don't know if he knows something or is just thinking out loud - but Helwani is suggesting GSP should surrender the MW title shot and go for the WW belt later in the year instead. Seems like GSP - from his training vid - is married to being at 185 for now but it would make all the sense in the world to me.

Problem for UFC is the number of stars that are willing to sit on the shelf unless they get 'the' fight.  I suppose 'the' fights are only really McGregor and GSP and the Diaz brothers. But I don't think either Diaz gets off their ass unless it's for one of Conor or GSP? Catch 22 as fuck. 

• Paid Members

Just did a fucking double take at this UFC 212 poster. 

Thought they'd gone and booked Anderson Silva vs Claudia Gadelha for a minute there. 

So I guess they're still planning on Anderson fighting on that card. They better get a move on finding someone for him to fight. Only a month away now. Can't think of anyone obvious and the fights they're offering him he's turning down. Apparently, Belfort is fighting Nate Marquardt on this show now so that rematch is definitely dead now. 

image.jpg

Anderson vs Romero would be ridiculous. Not only is Silva coming off 4 losses in his last 5 fights, he's actively seeking out a fight with Yoel Fucking Romero! There might not be a worse fight, stylistically, for him in that division. It's a really baffling one all around. With the fight being in Brazil you'd completely forgive Anderson for taking an easy fight. The man is a legend, it's the very least he deserves. And yet here he stands challenging the most dangerous, mental fighter in his weight class. Surely he knows he's not winning that fight? I hope it doesn't happen actually. There's a reasonable chance this could wind up being Anderson's last fight, after the career and reel of amazing performances we've seen from him over the years, seeing Romero maul him wouldn't make for the best way of hanging up the gloves.

Call Anderson whatever you like, but the bloke has bollocks the size of Saturn. Taking a fight with Cormier on 2 days notice, followed by calling out Romero. He filled in as a late-ish replacement against Bisping last year as well didn't he?

• Paid Members

He must really believe he can beat Yoel or I don't think he'd keep pushing for it. I guess you have to have that confidence but it's crackers all the same. He's going to get hurt if this fight happens. There's still fights Anderson can win, and I don't even think Yoel is unbeatable or anything. But the way those two match up style wise, the timing of it when you factor in their opposite career trajectories currently, the fact that Anderson doesn't evade or take shots as well as he used to... it's not going to end well for Anderson if they make this fight. 

For Yoel, I wouldn't blame him taking this fight. It's a fight he's likely to win, against a big name, it'll probably be the biggest payday so far of his career and it keeps him active with this Bisping vs GSP fight keep getting delayed. If it does be for an interim title (which would be frankly ridiculous) then Yoel winning that then solidifies him getting the next shot even more and would make it damn near impossible for anyone else (Whittaker) to leapfrog him and get the next title shot instead. So for Romero this actually makes some sense. Anderson wanting it baffles me though. 

Apparently, Romero phoned into the MMA Hour while Anderson was on there and they were talking at each other in 'English'. That should make for car crash listening. 

Archived