The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't think there'll be much more in the way of big fights added to 213. Tyron Woodley was saying he'd be fighting round then as well. I can see Nunes vs Shevchenko being the Fight Night and maybe Woodley lands on 214 at the end of July under DC vs Jones 2. But if it's not something like Woodley vs Diaz I'm not sure the Maia/Masvidal winner will be ready to go that soon after their fight either. May-July is tight. It'd mean pretty much no rest between fights and getting straight back in camp. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any chance of the 170 belt being defended on the Anaheim card.  They're scraping the barrel at the moment and they need both Woodley and Cormier defending their belts to headline different PPVs in their own right. I could see Woodley defending on July 8 to make the Bantamweight belt the co-main though - if Maia / Masvidal can make that short turnaround.  TBH adding Nunes to the July 8 card and moving Garbrandt-Dillashaw to the TUF finale Fight Night seems most logical - similar to what they did last year with the Strawweights. 

• Paid Members

Kelvin Gastelum and Shogun Rua have called out Anderson now apparently. 

Bit surprised Shogun's name's popped up there. You don't really get Brazilians calling each other out much, do you? Especially seeing as they both came from the same gym originally at Chute Boxe. 

I like either of those fights though. Gastelum vs Anderson was meant to happen anyway and Shogun vs Anderson would be a proper legends dream match albeit about 8 years too late. 

Cant see either happening though as Anderson seems hell bent on losing to Yoel Romero next. 

I'd imagine a lot of the new womens 125 division will be made up of talent already in the UFC too.

So many girls that are too small for 135 and also cut ridiculous weight to make 115.

So makes sense in that way. Although there are some talented 125-er outside the UFC too.

I watch a lot of WMMA. So pretty excited for this division. Certainly makes way more sense than starting the 145 one.

The UFC Women's Featherweight division is going to make for some cracking obscure questions for pub quizzes in ten years time.

• Paid Members

Cyborg and Megan Anderson are saying they want to fight each other at UFC 214. 

I fear for Megan Anderson's pretty face. Anderson looks a decent fighter from what little I've seen but in no way do I think she's ready for The 'Borg. Megan isn't even signed to the UFC yet either. That division is so up in the air. For all the things the UFC have done over the years using well thought out plans, this is a fucking shambles. Women's 145 has been brought in so hastily and seemingly with zero long term plan or anything. It seemed like all they were thinking about was 'We need to sell this UFC 208 PPV. We need a title fight. You can't sell PPV without a title fight. Meh stick Cyborg and Germaine in there. We'll call the winner the featherweight champ. We'll figure out the small stuff later like...erm having some fighters in the division. Yeah.' Just short term bullshit thinking. It's weird because they're usually really good about stuff like this but they've made a total arse of this one right out the gate. 

Is women's 145 included in the UFC rankings? I'd love to see what that looks like. How can you have a Top 10 when there's probably less than 5 girls in the division? 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Is women's 145 included in the UFC rankings? I'd love to see what that looks like. How can you have a Top 10 when there's probably less than 5 girls in the division? 

Germaine is listed at number 10 at 135. Thats it.

The UFC rankings do rather suggest random people throwing random darts at a barn door to decide the order though.

• Paid Members

the July 16th Scotland show is starting to take shape:

Paul Craig vs. Khalil Rountree

Ryan Janes vs. Jack Marshman

Mark Godbeer vs. Justin Willis

Galore Bofando vs. Charlie Ward

Bobby Nash vs. Danny Roberts

Paul Felder vs. Stevie Ray

It's heavy on UK fighter and i expect the Craig and Ray fights to be up towards the top of the card (some calling for Ray/Felder to headline), decent so far.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Fox Piss said:

Conor welcomes a baby boy called Conor Jack.

Great! Now get him on girlfriends tit and get fighting. Heaven knows this year needs it.

lol - this is just the beginning of him not fighting. He has no idea what a baby is like until it happens.

We'll see a Mayweather fight next year then he'll retire with his $75m+

2 hours ago, herbie747 said:

lol - this is just the beginning of him not fighting. He has no idea what a baby is like until it happens.

We'll see a Mayweather fight next year then he'll retire with his $75m+

Removed pointless comment..

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jasmith85 said:

I highly doubt he will do any rasing he'll just pay a nanny to do it.

Though here is hoping we never see him again.

Do you have kids? Everything changes when that sucker pops out. I feel gutted if I miss the chance to dress my kid in the morning, let alone entertain the idea of a nanny raising it. 

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Do you have kids? Everything changes when that sucker pops out. I feel gutted if I miss the chance to dress my kid in the morning, let alone entertain the idea of a nanny raising it. 

Once again removed pointless comment.

• Paid Members
Just now, jasmith85 said:

Yep I have a child and I do understand. The first sign of crying or his child starts crying he'll tap out and sod off, never mind the night feeds. He won't be able to out rant that child either

Ok. Let's move on ...

Archived