The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Cyborg actually wrote a letter of support to the CSAC for these changes at 10% higher than 145, she will be able to come in just about 159lbs and it obviously gets smaller the lower the weight class.

She says she wants to fight on the card, I doubt it will be for the belt as nobody has heard from the champ in months (presumably USADA has, or she would have failed)

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

On DC's last weight cut, he admitted that he had a shocker, but his reasoning was due to him not being as active as he'd like due to his injury - we all know DC is all about that cake and Popeye chicken. He said he screwed up not controlling his diet.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I don't dispute that it was an even fight up until the championship round. However, I thought DC quite clearly folded in those rounds. DC has even come out and said two factors hindered him that night. One of which was being too emotional in the cage (other was no Cain to train with during his fight camp).

No, of course. I wasn't disputing him folding during the match, I was referring more to the build-up: it didn't seem like Jones had got to him with the trash-talk, certainly not if the first three rounds were anything to go by. I think it was how Jones was fighting that got to DC.

• Paid Members

As much as I hate him, Jones is on another level when it comes to being a star. There's something about it him that just makes you stop and listen. It takes him being out of the sport and coming back for you to realise it. He's not the only one you can say that about, but he's one of a small number.

I also think he blows through DC in the rematch. DC's strongest area is wrestling and it gave Jones precisely zero trouble the first time round. Jones has reach and height over DC, his MMA wrestling isn't far off, his ground is better and his striking is way more dynamic. The only issue for Jones is cage rust.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chunk said:

As much as I hate him, Jones is on another level when it comes to being a star. There's something about it him that just makes you stop and listen. It takes him being out of the sport and coming back for you to realise it. He's not the only one you can say that about, but he's one of a small number.

I also think he blows through DC in the rematch. DC's strongest area is wrestling and it gave Jones precisely zero trouble the first time round. Jones has reach and height over DC, his MMA wrestling isn't far off, his ground is better and his striking is way more dynamic. The only issue for Jones is cage rust.

Another level compared to who? DC? I really don't know what that's got to do with anything Chunk in all honesty? That said, how much of star is he? I've never seen him mentioned anywhere in the mainstream press in comparison to Mcgregor or Rousey. He's not even as big of a star compared to GSP.

In regards to skills, you're correct he's superior in his striking when it comes to being dynamic, but his boxing is nowhere near the level of Cormier's. On top of that, he's nowhere near as powerful as Cormier. He doesn't have any knockout power and we've seen Cormier in the past knockout monsters. In the clinch Cormier is better as well and against the cage Cormier is better at controlling his opponents. 

You say Jones is better on the ground but again, that's an area where it's certainly not clear cut. DC can control his opponent unbelievably when it comes to having top position and it certainly rivals Jones' from a skill perspective.

Jones' huge advantage is as you say his height and reach. It's on another level to even the heavyweights of the UFC. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Jones shuts down Cormier again, and DC retires to the announcers booth for good.

You heard it here.

Welcome back mate. I've missed your colourful commentary. 

I also favour Jones. Despite a lot happening outside of the cage since their first fight, I just can't shake that it will be more of the same in the rematch. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, David said:

Jones shuts down Cormier again, sandblasts several well-worn prostitutes, and DC retires to the announcers booth for good.

You heard it here.

Most likely scenario. I think he lays off the ching, but doubles down on the dick pills too.

Oh and welcome back, David.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Jones shuts down Cormier again, and DC retires to the announcers booth for good.

You heard it here.

I actually think win or lose we see Cormier retire. 

That said David, the last time we saw one of your infamous "heard it here" statements was Diaz vs Mcgregor 2.

• Paid Members

In truth, people need to remember about the lack of fight time Jones has had. No doubt Jones is tremendous, but he'll have had only one very average performance against OSP, in 2 and a half years, come the DC fight. I think a match fit Jones beats DC most of the time, but I'm unsure how this version of Jones will look.

Inside the cage, though, Jones has shown incredible resiliency in the past and he's generally the fighter that does the things you don't expect him to do - good and bad. So, I guess what I'm getting at is, coming back after all that and beating DC will probably be his finest achievement.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

In truth, people need to remember about the lack of fight time Jones has had. No doubt Jones is tremendous, but he'll have had only one very average performance against OSP, in 2 and a half years, come the DC fight. I think a match fit Jones beats DC most of the time, but I'm unsure how this version of Jones will look.

Inside the cage, though, Jones has shown incredible resiliency in the past and he's generally the fighter that does the things you don't expect him to do - good and bad. So, I guess what I'm getting at is, coming back after all that and beating DC will probably be his finest achievement.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. If Cormier is ever going to beat Jones, this is his best chance to do it. When Cormier is in the best form of his career, confident, riding momentum vs a Jones coming off a long layoff who looked the most ordinary we've ever seen him in his last fight. 

The sad thing is, even accounting for all of that, I still think Jones is most likely going 2-0. And that's not a knock on Cormier, it's a testament to how good Jones is. The bellend. 

I would really love to be proven wrong. 

• Paid Members

It's what makes this fight hard to call and maybe why I'm more into the rematch this time round. If the Jones that turned up to fight OSP is the one opposite DC, he's getting smashed.

Famously, DC even passed a note to Rogan which said he realised he missed a massive opening for a victory.

• Paid Members

I think we all hope DC wrecks that smug ballbag Jones. I'm backing him to do it this time as well.

I think Cormier is at his peak now and that Jones won't be at his best, and it'll be enough to better Jones for that night. I fucking hope so anyway.

• Paid Members

Can you imagine if Cormier does somehow pull this off? Especially if he's able to finish Jones. The rubber match would be fucking mega. Their rivalry is already so deep and longstanding. It really all started with an awkward backstage interaction at the Cain vs Brock fight in 2010, for fuck's sake! If DC turns out to be the first man to legitimately beat Jones then the whole thing takes on another level of depth and intrigue going into the trilogy decider. 

I would badly want DC to win regardless of the stakes, just because I like him and can't stomach Jones. But when you look at what either result means for the division, a Cormier win leads to a massive rubber match that would surely be the biggest fight in light heavyweight history. It also buys the division a little more time to hopefully build some contenders. Maybe the Gustafsson-Glover winner or someone else unexpected emerges. On the flipside, a Jones win does nothing good for anyone but Jones. And who wants good things for that wankrag? 

Archived