The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Cheers for posting that.

It will be interesting to see how DC handles himself going into this. Jones mentally bullied him prior to walking in the cage.

I think a positive for DC is he's fighting Jones straight away. Come fight time, he'll be facing off against a Jones that's had one fight in about 2 and a half years. It definitely puts Cruz's "ring rust is just a myth" theory to the test.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thing is, I don't think DC came across as shook initially during the fight. For the first two and a half rounds, he seemed to be not only holding his own, but bringing the fight to Jones, getting in close, hitting him with hard body shots. Then came that eye-poke (and even if it was accidental, knowing what sort of guy Jones is, I'm not inclined to believe it), and it seemed to not only cut DC's momentum, but suddenly all the fight went out of him, and Jones went on to really demoralise him by targeting his main weapon, his wrestling, by regularly taking him down when DC couldn't manage it even once.

If DC is like any other driven athlete, he'll have re-watched that match over and over again obsessively, and he'll have probably seen the same thing. If I saw it, he definitely must have. He has the tools to beat Jones, and something of a core of a strategy, and I'll bet you a pound to a penny he's been working on his revenge. And now, with the new rules regarding open palms, Jones won't be able to Ric Flair his way out when he's in trouble.

That's not to say DC necessarily beats Jones; I'm only conjecturing as to what I've seen of him. There's a good chance he still hasn't managed to evict Jones from that big ol' squat in his head yet, and he feels the fear the moment he steps in the Octagon. But, given his recent run, and the fact that he's stopped Rumble, who, lets face it, is more terrifying than Jones (even if he's nowhere near as good), I'm inclined to believe he's got a much better chance of beating him.

• Paid Members

I completely agree Carbomb. A lot of fans seem to remember the 4th round of their first fight as if that was the only round. There's no doubt Jones won in the end, but as you say DC took the fight to Jones.

As you say, I think coming through the war against Gus, and then 2 comprehensive fights against Rumble, will have given DC the belief he can beat Jones. 

Looking back at the first fight, I think DC needs to find a way through those lanky leg kicks that was keeping him at distance and make it more of a clinch fight where he was lighting Jones up.

On top of that I would like to see utlise his wrestling more as well on top of his superior boxing.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

I completely agree Carbomb. A lot of fans seem to remember the 4th round of their first fight as if that was the only round. There's no doubt Jones won in the end, but as you say DC took the fight to Jones.

As you say, I think coming through the war against Gus, and then 2 comprehensive fights against Rumble, will have given DC the belief he can beat Jones. 

Looking back at the first fight, I think DC needs to find a way through those lanky leg kicks that was keeping him at distance and make it more of a clinch fight where he was lighting Jones up.

On top of that I would like to see utlise his wrestling more as well on top of his superior boxing.

In fairness to Jones (not often I'll say that), it won't be as cut-and-dried for DC by just moving in close. Jones seems to have an excellent fight IQ, and he's able to attack out of nowhere. I remember also when DC did get in close, Jones was quite effectively using shoulder strikes (I'd never seen that before in my life). They didn't de-rail DC from his strategy, but they were effective enough to make me think that DC, no matter how effective whatever strategy he comes up with is, is in for the most difficult fight of his life. Assuming Jones hasn't lost too much during his absence, there is no magic bullet for dealing with him. DC is going to have to dig deep and produce whatever it is that made him a champion if he's going to beat Jones, because the guy seems to have an answer for almost every kind of angle.

• Paid Members

Agreed. 

When I said what DC needs to do, I don't think that's going to be a clear cut path to victory for him. Jones demonstrated against Glover that in the pocket he can take a punch whilst also dishing it out. It was just that DC needs to focus on his own strengths and impose his will over Jones if he's to win.

• Paid Members

I don't dispute that it was an even fight up until the championship round. However, I thought DC quite clearly folded in those rounds. DC has even come out and said two factors hindered him that night. One of which was being too emotional in the cage (other was no Cain to train with during his fight camp).

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nice one. 

I'll have a proper look at this later. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Every time.  EVERY time, i shit myself scrolling through MMA topics on here and see my name before remembering where I am.

The Cormier - Jones card will be the first event held there since they just changed the rules for weight cutting (just in Cali but most will follow) basically you miss weight you give 20% of your purse and if you win your opponent gets your win bonus.

They want 30 day & 10 day weigh ins and you can't be over a certain weight making sure you are at a safe weight before the fight and a weigh in on fight day making sure an athlete isn't 10% over  their weight class and you can't be  heavier than 220 lbs for LHWs and if you do you'll be told to move up a weight class for your next fight.  DC better diet because his kidneys are fucked and California isn't as dumb as New York and let you hold on to a towel.

Jones no matter how big you think he looks has never had a tough time making weight.

Archived