The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Genuinely, this fight almost feels like a morality fight. I know that's ridiculously grandiose, but the two men involved could not be further apart, in terms of what sort of gentlemen they are. It would be fitting to see a good person like DC humble someone like Jon Jones.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Can you imagine if Cormier does somehow pull this off? Especially if he's able to finish Jones. The rubber match would be fucking mega.

The rubber match may never happen because if Cormier does beat Jones, I expect Jones to go on a bender the likes of which will make Jason Miller's outbursts look like the behaviour of a completely sane and rational person. Jones has always been able to avoid the consequences of his actions, thanks to the machinations of the people around him. If Jones loses to Cormier, he'll have to deal with an uncomfortable reality that nobody can sweep under the carpet, and I don’t know that Jones will be able to handle that without shoving a metric ton of Colombia’s finest up his nose.

• Paid Members

Actually, you're probably spot on with that. 

I've always thought that Jones' first loss will result in him going one of two ways. Either it'll be the kick up the arse he needs to sort himself out, or "get his academics in order" as DC would say. Or it'll go how you said. From what we know of Jones' I'm definitely leaning towards the latter. 

My thinking is if Jones is this much of a fuck up now, when he's in his prime and at the top of his game, what's he going to be like when it all starts going wrong in the cage? 

• Paid Members

They'll make movies about it if Cormier beats Jones. It'll be the most cathartic moment in the history ofsports. Jones is such a fucking prick and DC is such a great guy, an the story is so perfect, there's never been a more perfect baby face vs. heel dynamic. I'll burst if he beats him. 

• Paid Members

Being mates with Rockhold isn't a good look for anyone but I think DC comes off as a great guy. Him slagging Jones is fine by me because Jones is such a piece of shit. No-one's going to show themselves in the best light when they're interacting with their arch nemesis but when he's away from Jones I think he always comes across really well. 

• Paid Members

I kinda side with D.C but i do find people going very over top regarding Jones. His done some stupid things and the DUI involving the car crash should be a real wake up call for him. 

I know it was heat of the moment but D.C shouting and calling somebody a NIGGER across the room isn't very baby blue eyes off him.

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Being mates with Rockhold isn't a good look for anyone but I think DC comes off as a great guy. Him slagging Jones is fine by me because Jones is such a piece of shit. No-one's going to show themselves in the best light when they're interacting with their arch nemesis but when he's away from Jones I think he always comes across really well. 

Yep, plus I always think of that moment when Jones fucked up the rematch and Dana broke the news to DC, really felt for the poor guy.  Still think Jones will win, DC deserves it but in the world of Bill Munny, "Deserve got nothing to do with it"

• Paid Members

Whilst I'm firmly in the DC camp, let's not forget he just cheated in order to make weight. I'm not saying that's comparable to the stuff that Jones has done but it does take the edge off his babyface character. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, herbie747 said:

Is there a UFC show tonight? Saw a tweet about Gunnar Nelson

Nah Gunnar's fighting Santiago Ponzinibbio in the main event of the Scotland show in July. 

Next UFC is Gustafsson vs Glover in Sweden next Sunday, the 28th.

Archived