The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

The UFC, Bellator & Invicta have all came out in support of the CSAC 10 point plan to stop heavy weight cutting.

They propose that they would like to add more weight classes, 165,175, 195 & 225, I'm not really in favour of diluting the Heavyweights & Light Heavyweights but you can just hope they fight nearer their weight.

If you miss weight you will be fined 20% of any Purse or bonus and asked to move up in weight for their next fight.

There would be official weigh ins and un official same day weigh ins and if you weigh 10lbs or more over you will be asked to move up a weight class for your next fight (the fight would still go ahead)

I like some of this, fighters will be more healthy, they will be more hydrated and fighters will be fighting people who weigh the same as them.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i haven't seen the whole Summer Kick Off but scrolling my facebook feed it seems there were a lot of talking points coming out of it, i'll watch the whole thing later.

I'm more excited by the announcement of Michael Johnson facing Justin Gaethje at the TUF: Redemption finale, and Chris Weidman  taking on Kelvin Gastelum on the next UFC card on FOX, in July. And as if Weidman needed more pressure, it'll be held in Long Island, which is literally Weidman's backyard.

• Paid Members

Yeah both great fights. 

What did Jones say about DC's kids? 

And what the fuck was Kevin Lee dressed as? He looked like the biggest wanker. I'm fully on team Mike 'No Mama Jokes' Chiesa. I was anyway though.  

• Paid Members

Don't be hating on Kevin "Catwalk" Lee's attire, young man.

Apparently Dana didn't do it because he's ill and doesn't want to pass it on to the fighters.

The overreaction to the rubbish "your mum" patter was wonderful. Proper playground reaction.

Jon Jones schooled DC with the trash talk, which is a shame.

• Paid Members

I actually disagree bollocks. DC finally embraced any boos that came his way and a lot of time had Jones stumped. 

DC has finally realised he doesn't need acceptance and he's far better for it.   

• Paid Members

Yeah, I much prefer DC's approach now. I still think Jones beats him, sadly, but in hindsight I actually think it's been a good thing for Cormier that Jones has been away so long. It's allowed DC time to get used to the boos and stop giving a fuck, so I don't think that will have nearly the impact mentally on DC as it would've if they fought a year ago as planned. And DC's also had time to do his thing as champ and gain more momentum, more experience and more confidence. I think the Cormier that steps into the cage with Jones this time will be a better Cormier than the one in their first fight. Skills wise, experience wise and knowledge wise. But I've just got this sinking feeling that it's going to end in tears again with that absolute twat going 2-0. 

I'd love nothing more than for DC to shock me, and everyone, and smack Jones about and beat him. Not only would that be so fucking satisfying to watch, it'd be good for the division to have them tied at 1-1, forcing the rivalry to a big rubber match. In a division where nothing is really happening outside the top 3 or 4 guys, that would at least be something to sink the teeth into while you hope the rest of the division shakes out some contenders in the meantime. 

Fucking hell, fair fucking play to Weidman.  Not sure if you admire his defiance of only taking significant and testing fights as the horror streak goes on or if he's crazy for not going away with a tune-up fight to start building some momentum again.  Great fight though. 

• Paid Members

Just realised, what happened to those Alistair Overeem vs Francis Ngannou plans? Completely forgot about that but now Overeem's fighting Werdum again. I know they mentioned at the end of 211 that Ngannou wants on the Cormier vs Jones 2 PPV but who does he even fight? Everyone who would make sense is booked aren't they? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, as far as progressing his ranking and career, he's going to have to wait. Ngannou definitely needs a top 5 fight before he gets a title shot.

I was going to suggest Travis Browne, as a way to just pad out his record until a big winter clash, but even Browne has a fight in the works for July.

You run the risk of putting him in there with some random and getting clobbered, which isn't ideal.

It isn't the most ideal of situations for the individual, but a fight against JDS wouldn't half propel Ngannou into serious title shot contention. It would be a quick turnaround for JDS but stranger things have happened. I think he's at the point where he needs somebody considerably decent to take him into that top five spot, and guys like Struve and Nelson despite the fact they're available aren't really bigger scalps than the likes of Arlovski. They probably wouldn't raise his stock any higher and they're examples of low reward, high risk fighters.

I'd say his most likely fight would be JDS or the winner of Werdum/Reem. I fancy Miocic vs Cain is being lined up next for the title despite the time it might take a while to get both fighters ready. It would be difficult to promote Werdum or Reem fighting for the belts so soon after getting knocked out in the first to lose.

Archived