The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The interesting thing about the failed test is that according to USADA, the long term metabolite was discovered used a new detection method by a WADA accredited lab in Tokyo. Subsequently they decided re-test a previously clean test from Mir and found the same metabolite in his sample.

This goes against Mir's claim to that his must have been something he digested whilst fighting in Australia.

• Paid Members

Not had a chance to watch yet, so apologies if it's referenced in the interview, but doesn't he have a pretty decent job outside MMA selling houses in Long Island? It must change your approach when you genuinely know you don't need the UFC or MMA to make a living.

• Paid Members

He throws in a plug at the end - he also talked about his day job on his last Helwani interview.

He's just being smart, in that regard. His point of this all is he'd love to focus on only fighting, but he's got bills to pay and the UFC aren't going to take care of them.

• Paid Members

I sincerely hope WME (or whatever it is) step in here and sort this situation out with Al. 

After seeing his demolition over the weekend I'm desperate to see him again, and frankly I think this guy could be money. 

What I really want to know is how many more fights does Iaquinta have left on his deal? The problem he has is if they give in to him, everyone else who has signed a contract could feasibly do the same. 

Thinking about it, this situation isn't too dissimilar to Rockhold's recent stand off with the UFC. Before agreeing to face Jacare end of last year (before injury forced him out), he said that fighting wasn't worth it to him given the money he was making from other things going on in his life. The UFC offered him a new deal shortly after.

Hopefully they do the same with Al seeing that in the current climate of their shit ton of debt, they need potential stars like him more than ever.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

He has two more fights on his deal, although he says he's not looking to fight anytime soon. It sucks.

It's a tricky situation in all honesty. If it is indeed only 2, and whilst I know it's easy for me to say this, he just needs to fight them two fights, and become a free agent and see where free agency takes him. If it were 5 fights then it would be a different matter.

The other side of the coin is that he's possibly on the cusp of a number 1 contender fights and the risk is high. 

• Paid Members

He's bound to get a sweet offer from Bellator, but like you say, it's just getting through the two fights first to get to the negotiating table that is the tricky part. He'd be a good acquistion for Bellator, and I would think they would make it worth it for him to fight.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WeeAl said:

He's bound to get a sweet offer from Bellator, but like you say, it's just getting through the two fights first to get to the negotiating table that is the tricky part. He'd be a good acquistion for Bellator, and I would think they would make it worth it for him to fight.

For me, whilst Bellator are important here to drive up the price, the UFC will have the opportunity to match the offer from Bellator if there ever was one.

Whilst the relationship between Al and the UFC is strained at the moment, I think he still wouldn't have a problem resigning with the UFC if the right offer came about.

It's just getting to that point that's the problem. 

Archived