The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I still don't believe any of it is actually going to happen. I don't care how many articles are written or how many journalists talk about it. There's so many hoops to jump through before these Boxing vs UFC matches can actually happen. And I specifically put 'UFC' and not 'MMA' because the fact McGregor and Manuwa are contracted to the UFC makes this a lot trickier. If Manuwa was a Bellator fighter, we could probably see him vs Haye within the next 6 months. There's just too many obstacles for me. I just can't see all sides agreeing. Especially on the Mayweather vs McGregor thing.

• Paid Members

What's Butterbean up to these days?

I don't mind admitting, and I'm being deadly serious here, that purely as a fight I'd rather watch Butterbean vs Black Beast than Mayweather vs McGregor. Obviously Floyd vs Conor would be a once in a generation spectacle but I'd be pretty confident the Bean vs the Beast would be a) more competitive and b) way more fun to watch bell to bell.

How long before Tyson Fury jumps on this Boxing vs MMA stuff again? Might as well reheat that Fury vs Cain Velasquez thing from a few years back and stick that on this mythical fantasy extravaganza while we're at it.

Looking forward to that but not sure its going to be some epic Lawler style war I've seen some expect on twitter. Cerrone tends to crumble when really put to the test on his feet. He is a quick starter though and Robbie can be slow of the blocks at times but I think Lawler KO's him late 1st or early 2nd.

• Paid Members

Really happy with that. I was gutted when that fight fell apart for MSG. 

I see Cowboy buckling under Lawler's attacks but it'll be exciting however long it lasts. That's a cert. I just think in a fight like this, Lawler's toughness is going to make the difference. I think he can take what Cerrone dishes out. Can't see the same being true the other way round though. 

• Paid Members

Looking like a Werdum vs Overeem rubber match for UFC 213 as well. 

And that's the big July PPV. The one that's being targeted to host Bisping vs GSP. 

So 213 so far is shaping up with these as the probable top fights...

Michael Bisping vs Georges St Pierre - Middleweight Title

Fabricio Werdum vs Alistair Overeem 3

Robbie Lawler vs Donald Cerrone 

Alright, innit? 

Speaking of Lawler, it looks like he might be a fan of Johnny Cena. Look at that grin on his chops - http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/robbie-lawler/photo-robbie-lawler-links-wwe-star-john-cena/

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Michael Bisping vs Georges St Pierre - Middleweight Title

Fabricio Werdum vs Alistair Overeem 3

Robbie Lawler vs Donald Cerrone 

Alright, innit? 

Sweet line-up. 

Werdum vs Overeem 3 will surely be a marked improvement over Werdum vs Overeem 2.

• Paid Members

Yeah the second fight was so crap. Maybe the worst fight that year. Certainly the worst high profile one. 

I think it'll be better this time. Werdum's come on as a striker since then and Overeem's a bit of a different fighter offensively now as well, more methodical/careful than he used to be. Plus it's the trilogy decider so you'd think they'll be more motivated because the winner gets to get the last laugh. I don't think it'll be a barnburner war type fight but I think it will be good. 

Archived