Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

PGCE applications = my time to shine!

My job is dealing with PGCE Secondary applications. The best starting point is getting some school experience - this is something you'll be asked about at an interview, so it does help enormously if you have some experience to discuss. Most schools are happy to let people visit for a few days, provided you have a clean DBS. A good place to start is the Get Into Teaching website, who can help arrange some placements: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Funding - you can get the usual maintenance and tuition fee loans through Student Finance, and it'll just be added onto your existing undergraduate debt. You probably also qualify for a bursary - this year it's £15,000 for English (paid in monthly instalments for as long as you remain on the course). There's no funding for PGCE Media, and those courses are rare - you're best focusing on English.

You'll be looking at an interview for a place on the course, and that interview will look at your subject knowledge in greater depth. Take a look at the BBC Bitesize website ( https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zt3rkqt ) as even if you don't have much school experience, you'd still be expected to know about the National Curriculum and gives you an idea of the authors / texts you'll need to be familiar with. You'll also be asked about classroom management (how you'd cope with kids being shits, there are some real teachers on here who might be able to help there), personal resilience, that kind of stuff. In terms of academic qualifications, you need a 2:2 or higher, plus GCSE English Language and Maths at Grade C or better.

The other thing it might be worth thinking about is a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course - these are online courses aimed at people wanting to teach but don't have a degree fully in their chosen subject. You get a bursary for doing one, but you have to have an offer of a place on a PGCE first. More info (and this is the one we point people towards): https://www.tes.com/institute/subject-knowledge-enhancement-ske

Put something in your UCAS personal statement about your willingness to take one, it'll help!

Applications cost a quid this year, through UCAS. Go for it!

3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Cheers Simon, I'd never even thought about the teaching abroad route. By that point I'll be closing in on 30 so maybe the next adventure for me.

No worries, give me a shout in a few years if you want more info, i'm sure i'll be kicking about on here still. Important thing is to get those years under your belt in the UK as it can mean 10-20K difference in your salary as well as working for a top notch school or some fly by night institution. 

Grecian you're a star as well! Knew you'd have a ton of knowledge on the subject (rightfully so) and some of those links (especially as I've been looking for the curriculums at work this week) are a massive help to give me some stuff to check out while traveling today. 

Cheers

I think it's a great idea @Shy Dad but I strongly recommend getting some time in a secondary school before you make a decision. I work in pastoral in a secondary school and the work load and potential stress are underestimated by many. It is incredibly rewarding but there are days where I feel like just walking out of work and never going back - and I'm non-teaching staff. Teaching staff are under more pressure in many ways, the only difference is that their time is more protected than non-teaching staff- and teaching staff get pay rewards for an element of their stress.

I would echo what Grecian said and go for a PGCE with English, it'll make you infinitely more employable and it's easy to pick up media/creative media as a teaching subject depending on your school - for example if they have a Sixth Form they are likely to do Film Studies, Media and English A-levels so you can do that alongside teaching Keystage 3 and 4 English. 

If you have any questions about working in schools, feel free to drop me a DM. I've spent the last 10 years of my career in secondary and Post 16 education.

Cheers @deathrey expect a message.

Luckily for someone who graduated 10 years ago I'm still pretty close with my high school and trying to arrange some work experience as they're also one of the main teacher training bases for Worcester Uni too. 

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a council. I got a phonecall from the Head of Service the following day explaining that it had been really competitive, that they had narrowed it down to me and another candidate and had been blown away by my interview but for whatever reason they had decided to appoint the other candidate and she had accepted the post. 

She then said that they were in the process of applying for funding for a second post (same job, same pay etc) and that they had been given the thumbs up to do so but nothing official has come through yet, but they would like to offer me that post (they had also mentioned in the interview that they were seeking funding for another post). I accepted and the Head of Service said they would be back in contact in a week or so. Two weeks have now passed, I called her yesterday and left an answerphone message asking if there were any updates but I've still not heard anything. Do I chase it further or do I assume that they didn't get the funding/have changed their minds about offering it to me?

Edited by deathrey

15 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a council. I got a phonecall from the Head of Service the following day explaining that it had been really competitive, that they had narrowed it down to me and another candidate and had been blown away by my interview but for whatever reason they had decided to appoint the other candidate and she had accepted the post. 

She then said that they were in the process of applying for funding for a second post (same job, same pay etc) and that they had been given the thumbs up to do so but nothing official has come through yet, but they would like to offer me that post (they had also mentioned in the interview that they were seeking funding for another post). I accepted and the Head of Service said they would be back in contact in a week or so. Two weeks have now passed, I called her yesterday and left an answerphone message asking if there were any updates but I've still not heard anything. Do I chase it further or do I assume that they didn't get the funding/have changed their minds about offering it to me?

It wouldn't hurt to follow up. One thing to bear in mind is that councils can be quite inefficient or slow-moving, especially during times of economic downturn like now. You might need to give them a boot up the arse to get any kind of movement. They might have changed their minds, but try to exhaust the possibility that they've just been slow off the mark in getting back to you first.

I know they can be slow which is why I didn't worry too much when I didn't hear anything last week. I don't want to bug them but at the same time, I'm desperate to get out of where I am now and the money is so much better.... I will have a 1 hour commute to work but it'll be better than working here

Yeah, that's fair. I don't think it's bugging them if you haven't received a reply giving you any indication as to what's going on yet.

In an instance such as this I'd keep on at them until you get an answer one way or the other. It shows that you're keen and that you really want the job, if nothing else.

Often if they don't get back to you, it's because they don't have an answer one way or the other!  So they put off contacting you.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, Loki said:

Often if they don't get back to you, it's because they don't have an answer one way or the other!  So they put off contacting you.

Yeah I get that, it just leaves me in limbo a little and I'm unsure what to do. Do I continue to apply for other jobs? I've got a few issues with my school which the Head and I had a brief discussion about addressing - mostly about training and development which would in his eyes would tie me to the school for the foreseeable future and because I don't know where I stand I've put off speaking to him and I don't want to miss the boat with that opportunity.  It's all making me anxious. An update of 'we are still waiting' would be better than no update at all. 

17 hours ago, deathrey said:

Yeah I get that, it just leaves me in limbo a little and I'm unsure what to do. Do I continue to apply for other jobs? I've got a few issues with my school which the Head and I had a brief discussion about addressing - mostly about training and development which would in his eyes would tie me to the school for the foreseeable future and because I don't know where I stand I've put off speaking to him and I don't want to miss the boat with that opportunity.  It's all making me anxious. An update of 'we are still waiting' would be better than no update at all. 

Personally, I'd proceed as if you've been told you're not getting the job. Better to have to deal with the situation of leaving in a month or so, than risk your current situation.

Yeah, I think I'm going to book an appointment with the Head for next week. I need to get the ball rolling rather than wasting more time

Had my references confirmed (which was quite daunting as it meant my boss knew I was planning to leave after the summer but was totally on board with the idea of me going into teaching) and booked my key skills test for the same day I was already in Bristol (timing!) and sent everything off through UCAS. Now we wait, and pray a little, mainly wait though.