Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, I'd not even bother having a word to be honest.  If language makes someone paranoid and uncomfortable then the issue is with them and not the company or other employees.  To emphasise the point, you could point out to them every time they use a slang word or a colloquialism that they are using uncommon language and it makes others uncomfortable and paranoid.

To be honest, I would be incredibly surprised if my manager or her manager took this further, as if it was me, I'd tell them to stop being so fucking stupid and fuck off, but then I'm not the manager so it's not up to me. It's pissed me off so much that as one of the lads speaks Italian as well, and I can get by in Italian, I think I'll be speaking as much Italian to him in future in full ear shot. I imagine them running off to their break going "Shit! What's a stronzo???"

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To be honest, I would be incredibly surprised if my manager or her manager took this further, as if it was me, I'd tell them to stop being so fucking stupid and fuck off, but then I'm not the manager so it's not up to me. It's pissed me off so much that as one of the lads speaks Italian as well, and I can get by in Italian, I think I'll be speaking as much Italian to him in future in full ear shot. I imagine them running off to their break going "Shit! What's a stronzo???"

Or just say this:

16 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've already said that if this is put in place, I'll make a formal complaint and take it much higher, and given what business I work for, that would cause an absolute shitstorm, but I feel so pissed off about this. Basically, it's jealousy at best, and all out xenophobia at worst, and I want to know if it's actually legal to ask them not to do that?

Morally you're 100% in the right, it just comes down to how much you're willing to stick your neck out in this instance. If you're willing to essentially go against your own manager and risk the problems that could cause for you in your job then fair play, because the chances are that you'll end up getting a hard time of it.

Had an email for this job in my inbox. I don't want to apply, but if there's anyone on here whom it might interest, have at it:

Tenancy Progressor with an International company based in Waterloo

My client is an International Estate Management company with offices in London and Hong Kong, operating across London and the Home Counties. They provide clients with comprehensive property solutions in the four key areas of Investment, Sales and Lettings, Property management and Refurbishment

Their in-depth knowledge and experience of the Central London market ensures they are well equipped to assist clients in achieving their property goals, and their tailored approach provides a consistently professional and personal experience.

They are currently looking to recruit an experienced Tenancy Progressor to be based at their Waterloo office, you DO NOT need to drive for this role as it is office based.

Summary of role:

This exciting role within the Property Management department will require the candidate to process all initial tenancy progression paperwork for new move ins, change of sharers and mid-management on boarding for a dynamic letting and property management agency based in London Waterloo.

Key duties and responsibilities of role:

• Process offers from Applicants once they have been accepted.

• Draw up all documents relating to the proposed Tenancy including Terms and Conditions, Offer Conditions, Tenancy Agreements (and Surrenders where applicable).

• Protect deposits with the DPS and send out prescribed information within the relevant period.

• Instruct safety works and inventory check ins where required, including processing invoices for completed works.

• Identify where a Property License is required.

• Liaise with Landlords and Tenants to confirm all requirements of the offer have been fulfilled; arrange offer conditions where necessary.

• Manage keys for new move ins and liaise with inventory clerks for check-ins.

• Ensure that all tenancies are compliant, and all documents are on the system prior to move in and key release.

• Preparing invoices for lettings commission/administration fees.

• Maintaining a pipeline report of all upcoming lettings business to present in a weekly meeting with the Directors and Lettings team.

• Liaising with Landlords and Tenants where there is a change of sharer request, processing paperwork and dealing with the deposit.

• Loading new properties onto the system where we have won management instructions mid-Tenancy, or a property has been sold/purchased and coordinating the relevant paperwork to ensure a smooth transition.

General requirements:

• Experience working with international Landlords, primarily in China and throughout Asia.

• Ability to work effectively in a busy environment and under pressure – dealing with 10–15 move ins a week during busier months.

• Communicating clearly and persuasively whilst working cooperatively and supportively with the team in the UK, China, and Hong Kong.

• Defining priorities and organising yourself so you can deliver them; including management of a shared inbox.

• Have a great eye for detail.

• To be able to think on your feet, be reactive to situations as they arise in a calm and professional manner

• Customer focused.

• Making clear decisions and dealing with challenges positively.

• Have a flexible and adaptable approach to work, embracing changes in processes and legislation.

• To be able to work alone and on own initiative as well as within a team.

• Knowledge of property/contract law essential as well as basic knowledge of property management.

• A basic understand of upcoming legislation changes

Experience and qualifications:

• Minimum 2 year’s Tenancy Progression experience in your current/previous role and an understanding of Lettings and Property Management.

• Experience dealing with overseas Landlords.

PropertyMark level 3 or similar preferable.

• IT literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft packages essential.

• Experience using Qube (Aspasia), Goodlord, and Docusign advantageous.

Salary: £30,000 - £31,000

Hours: Monday to Friday 9-6 (no Saturdays involved but if there is a move in on a Saturday you would be expected to be on call in the event that the paperwork wasn’t complete or there was a problem with access to the property).

Mail cheryl.hills@amrgroup.co.uk

Can we not start using this thread to share job adverts please? Thanks. 

Would be a bit different if there was a specific job, with a warm lead or introduction that suits someone specifically. But this is just generic agency job board stuff.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Tenancy progressor is bollocks newspeak for estate agent, isn't it.

There's something very funny to me about posting a very specific job that requires 2 years previous experience, and is completely London-centric on a wrestling forum, completely out of the blue. Well done Carbomb, this might be the first time you've made me laugh. 

Edited by gmoney

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but with my stellar work history of using Qube and Goodlord and my burgeoning reputation in the Chinese landlord industry I think this could be just the ticket.

Cheers C-Bomb!

Just trying to help by passing on some info that I don't need. I don't know everyone on here, so thought someone might be able to use it. 

Didn't know about the posting thing - I've posted jobs from and links to that writing jobs newsletter before, and nobody seemed to mind, so didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Just trying to help by passing on some info that I don't need. I don't know everyone on here, so thought someone might be able to use it. 

Didn't know about the posting thing - I've posted jobs from and links to that writing jobs newsletter before, and nobody seemed to mind, so didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

It's only never been a rule before because I thought it would just be common sense.. Do you not see how that job ad is more than likely to be completely useless everyone?

Anyone who's ever job hunted online probably gets scores of that kind of guff in their mailbox constantly anyway. I know I do.

1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's only never been a rule before because I thought it would just be common sense.. Do you not see how that job ad is more than likely to be completely useless everyone?

Anyone who's ever job hunted online probably gets scores of that kind of guff in their mailbox constantly anyway. I know I do.

Honestly didn't see it. It was from a personalised mail rather than a circular or a mail shot - I simply cut out the job description from the email and pasted it here.

Will take this on board for the future. I don't get many job mails these days, as I've unsubscribed from pretty much all the jobsites I was on, so genuinely thought this could be a lead. 

For who? That's the baffling part to me. Who did you think on this forum who was up for a bit of Asian real estate in London? Richie Freebird? Ricky Knight? The thousands of Scottish people on here? 

Edited by gmoney

Londoners, or people who wouldn't mind moving for a job that pays well. There are a lot of lurkers on here that we know almost nothing about, so I (mistakenly) thought there might be someone out of all that.

Can we drop this now? I was just trying to help, it's not like there's anything in it for me. 

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!