Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, I'd not even bother having a word to be honest.  If language makes someone paranoid and uncomfortable then the issue is with them and not the company or other employees.  To emphasise the point, you could point out to them every time they use a slang word or a colloquialism that they are using uncommon language and it makes others uncomfortable and paranoid.

To be honest, I would be incredibly surprised if my manager or her manager took this further, as if it was me, I'd tell them to stop being so fucking stupid and fuck off, but then I'm not the manager so it's not up to me. It's pissed me off so much that as one of the lads speaks Italian as well, and I can get by in Italian, I think I'll be speaking as much Italian to him in future in full ear shot. I imagine them running off to their break going "Shit! What's a stronzo???"

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To be honest, I would be incredibly surprised if my manager or her manager took this further, as if it was me, I'd tell them to stop being so fucking stupid and fuck off, but then I'm not the manager so it's not up to me. It's pissed me off so much that as one of the lads speaks Italian as well, and I can get by in Italian, I think I'll be speaking as much Italian to him in future in full ear shot. I imagine them running off to their break going "Shit! What's a stronzo???"

Or just say this:

16 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've already said that if this is put in place, I'll make a formal complaint and take it much higher, and given what business I work for, that would cause an absolute shitstorm, but I feel so pissed off about this. Basically, it's jealousy at best, and all out xenophobia at worst, and I want to know if it's actually legal to ask them not to do that?

Morally you're 100% in the right, it just comes down to how much you're willing to stick your neck out in this instance. If you're willing to essentially go against your own manager and risk the problems that could cause for you in your job then fair play, because the chances are that you'll end up getting a hard time of it.