The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I started a new job this week. Still on nights, but now a manager for Morrisons, and got a hefty pay increase as well.

It’s going pretty well and because my ex works in the people team there, it’s made it easier for me to settle in. Poor her having to see my face everyday though, even if it is for 2 minutes as she’s arriving/I’m leaving. 

Might even, fingers crossed, be able to afford a little trip this year.

• Moderators

Why not with cattle? Have I missed something mentioned often involving cattle on here?

Anyway, away from that, hospitality tends to have many live in jobs. Hotels often have staff quarters. Or you could go to prison or something, they do three square and a roof over your head.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

So my DBS check came through this morning meaning I'm now pretty much ready to move into teaching. 

Funding and accommodation sorted for my move to Walsall, already made some friends this summer there, in Wolverhampton and in Birmingham, have wrestling and music I can go to on weekends so I don't feel lonely and my campus has an Olympic athlete standard gym (we have the UK judo team there) and swimming facilities and stuff so I can look after myself and my mental health.

Considering the mess I was in like six months ago on here with no real purpose, the turn around has been amazing for me to watch. 

Just have to deal with the endless barage of being called Mr Jolly for life now. 

• Paid Members

I didn't get the maternity cover job in the end, which is a shame but I'm proud of how far I got and how close it was. They've also announced that they are creating supervisory type roles underneath management that my boss has told me I'm basically a shoe in for, so that's a silver lining. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got called into the boss' office last Friday and was told there was no job for me anymore unless I go part time. Redundancy for me it is then. 

Been expecting it the last few weeks so was somewhat prepared, but was still kick in the bollocks being told.

What a load of absolute shite. I'm having a bad couple of fucking years.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

So after applying for a few part time jobs and getting as far as interviews with not much luck, my mental health in my current job has just wiped me out. I’m in a position now where I’m just zoning out at work, having IBS every morning, restless sleeps, and just a constant sense of feeling utterly helpess and overwhelmed.

My partner has said she wants me to just hand my notice in and she’ll support us for a while while I try and get my head in the right place but I’d feel just utterly irresponsible as I felt bad enough even looking to go part time, never mind unemployed again.

I don’t know what to do. I know that being away from this job is the answer but I’m miserable if I stay and wrought with guilt and shame if I quit.

Any advice? Anyone else ever just fucked the job off to look after themselves?

• Paid Members

Your health isn't a luxury. Without it, you can't do anything. You've got a great partner who recognises this. Taking some time out for self-care isn't mooching or letting her down, it's getting yourself well again so that you can get back to where you want to be, which is right alongside her, contributing to your partnership. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Yes. Twice.

One was a temp job at Amazon, which I bitched about in this very thread years ago. Another was a Chef job at a local hotel.

Both times I left with no plans that went beyond "I don't want to work here anymore". I got sanctioned for quitting Amazon (but won the appeal). The Chef job really fucked me up because, at the time, I didn't really understand exactly what was wrong. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating and every minute I spent at work felt like some kind of hell. Everybody there was nice, and I hated leaving them in the shit but I just physically couldn't do it anymore. It took me a while to realise that I was suffering from pretty severe depression, and that I take cooking a lot more seriously than I realised. It was the feeling that I was compromising my standards (and I was) that was making me ill.

I'm working at a far higher level now, with longer hours and much more travel, and I'm fucking loving it.

So, aye, I'd say listen to your Mrs, and to your body as well. If you're feeling like this, then it's telling you *something* is wrong. If you had a physical illness, you wouldn't hesitate to take time off to recover would you? There's nothing wrong with doing the same thing with your mental health.

12 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I've not been in quite the same position, i was lucky to find an opportunity within the company I work for to 'escape' from a job I hated so didn't have to quit although I considered it. I would say this - it's difficult to take the step to 'rely on someone else' but you're in a partnership and from this and previous posts she sounds like someone who cares about you and is invested in your happiness. She is offering to take the reigns and allow you time to get your head straight, she is investing in you because she wants you to be happy and clearly realises this is the best thing for the both of you long term. So long as you make the most of this investment then you aren't letting her down.