The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Good luck! I tend to blather like an idiot when I’m nervous- but I’ve found deep breaths, pausing and speaking much slower than I normally would helps!

Easier said than done, I know...but, as a hiring manager know that if they are interviewing you, they want to hire you. They want that task completed, especially if you already work in the department and know all the policies and processes- just so much easier for them.

• Paid Members

I think it went pretty well. I was articulate, which was the main think I was worried I wouldn't be. I was able to give decent examples for most of the questions asked, and in ones where I didn't I knew company procedure so pointed to that. I was bricking it a bit before I went in but as soon as I started it was fine. It was my department manager who I get on with and another manager who I didn't know, but was very laid back so that made me relax in turn. I won't hear back for at least a week apparently, but I'm mainly just glad I didn't make a tit of myself. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

An update: Out of the candidates they apparently couldn't separate 4 of us based on our interviews, so they have added an extra round, a presentation. Hopefully I can do well at this and get a good head-start for The Eliminator round. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 7/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, gmoney said:

An update: Out of the candidates they apparently couldn't separate 4 of us based on our interviews, so they have added an extra round, a presentation. Hopefully I can do well at this and get a good head-start for The Eliminator round. 

Presentation is tomorrow. Bricking it. 

• Paid Members

Well I think it went pretty well. I wish I was able to convince myself that the anxiety about things like this is always much worse than the actual event. In fact its probably more unbearable than the worst scenario that could have played out. But anyway, it was fine. I spoke well, didn't lose my place and my manager said he was struggling to think of questions because I'd so thoroughly covered the subject. Fingers crossed. I won't find out for another 3 weeks at least as one of the candidates has fucked off on holiday. I hope they get docked for that. 

• Paid Members

My direct line manager has recently left the company and I have taken up her workload while a replacement is found. In the end the company decided to only advertise internally, meaning it has to be one of 3 of us. 1 didnt want to apply, so it's me and my colleague and friend. Trouble is, he interviews better than me and when we have gone head to head for roles in the past he has got them over me.

Going to be an interesting week...

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

My direct line manager has recently left the company and I have taken up her workload while a replacement is found.

This is your job interview, keep the emphasis on how you're already doing the job and have proven you're ready to step into their shoes.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is your job interview, keep the emphasis on how you're already doing the job and have proven you're ready to step into their shoes.

And stab your friend in the back, then throw him under the bus. Good luck.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Very much agree with this. Also make note of any specific challenges etc that you've overcome or where you've handled a project while you've been covering to use in the interview. Having specific examples to point to is always great. 

• Paid Members

If wrestling has taught us anything, it's that if he gets offered the role, hit him with a steel chair when he's about to sign the new contract and sign your name instead. Legally, they can't do anything.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Interview went well, though my voice virtually disappeared a few days ago, which was a problem. Also I managed to big up the other guy going for the role. I'm a moron. 

Great heel move. As Sir Humphrey said: "It is necessary to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back."