The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

On 6/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, MPDTT said:

12k is a really poor package - particularly if that includes notice. But it sounds like a legitimate redundancy and they are going down the statutory route. I wouldn't jump at that. Perhaps if you can let me know what the enhancement is, I can advise better.

Out of interest - Is there such a thing as a law (possibly GDPR) where an employer contacts you through social media as a next of kin when you're not down as a next of kin without any consent from the person who works for them or from me. If I don't make sense we can discuss on PM as it's a complicated & personal matter. 

52 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Out of interest - Is there such a thing as a law (possibly GDPR) where an employer contacts you through social media as a next of kin when you're not down as a next of kin without any consent from the person who works for them or from me. If I don't make sense we can discuss on PM as it's a complicated & personal matter. 

Technically yes. If the employer couldn't reach the emergency contact, they should not have reached out to someone else. Sharing personal data with anyone other than the emergency contact is a data protection failure

2 hours ago, Briefcase said:

They shouldn't be doing that, don't answer them.  No doubt it's so they can try and say "We tried to get in contact with you" to the person you know.  As MPPDDTTT said, imagine if they contacted someone who was the abusive partner they'd been fleeing, they now know where the person works.

59 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They shouldn't be doing that, don't answer them.  No doubt it's so they can try and say "We tried to get in contact with you" to the person you know.  As MPPDDTTT said, imagine if they contacted someone who was the abusive partner they'd been fleeing, they now know where the person works.

That's what I thought. Basically to cut a long story short my dad had a stoke on holiday (abroad) earlier in the year, his work was updated by his next of kin (not me) as to what had happened and as you can imagine its no quick process as he had to recover first before flying home. His work was updated during everything but bearing in mind as he was abroad its difficult to get the right information initially but I had two people from his work contact me to ask how he was, one is a work colleague and the other the wages clerk (same thing but she worded it as the wage clerk). I don't know anybody that he works with and I know I am not his next of kin and of course asking through Facebook is iffy to me even if they had the best intentions in mind of asking how he was. I haven't responded but kind of feel that its a bit cheeky of them to be doing that, on one hand you can look at it and say they may just be concerned and passing on well wishes, on the other hand they could also be trying to get info from me. 

I actually have no idea where I stand with this, I don't think its appropriate for someone to contact you on facebook like that when I have never met or even know of them. I'm sure its not legal/right practice. This is also from a well known corporate retailer as well. 

Edited by Briefcase

I’d write a letter of complaint to the head office / Top bods and contact the industry ombudsman about it. It’s an awful thing to have done, regardless of well meaning intentions. 

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’d write a letter of complaint to the head office / Top bods and contact the industry ombudsman about it. It’s an awful thing to have done, regardless of well meaning intentions. 

Cheers Keith. Might well do that, not sure what really comes of it but if it stops it happening again to someone else that's good enough for me. 

I did try and research this online and couldn't find any cases or anything similar to hand so not even sure where it all stands from a legal point of view, I think companies are quick enough to use social media against employees and rightfully so in some cases but when the shoes on the other foot and you got people messaging I see it as the same thing. I would also argue that technically one of the two employees wouldn't have known about what had happened unless it was through work so again possible breach of confidentiality?

Appreciate the advice, thank you. 

Yep, you can say that them contacting you out of the blue like that just added to the stress of the situation for you.  As I say, it's all relying on you knowing the situation.  Imagine if that was how you found out about it, his work contacting you and telling you?  It ain't on.

15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Complain to the ICO

You would need to prove that a) they had access to corporate held personal information on your Dad and b) that they used this to contact you. I doubt his work has records of your identity and/or social media details so while there may be some internal policy breach it wouldn't be a GDPR breach.

• Awards Moderator

Additionally, info you have made public on social media is your responsibility. 

I'm not saying their behaviour isn't annoying, but I don't think it's illegal. 

Devil's advocate; genuine concern from colleagues? I could see their POV if I was really worried about someone I worked with but didn't have personal contact details for them. 

Not sure if this is the thread but I need some advice on how to persevere.

I've handed my notice in at my current school and the notice period is a term/12 weeks. Admittedly I handed my notice in the day before the term deadline as I wasn't expecting to find a new job or be successful at interview. Anyway, since handing in my notice the leadership team is not talking to me and staff are making me feel like I have made a mistake for going despite me looking forward to new challenges. In addition, students from each class have made been making digs and making me feel guilty for going.

How do I deal with being ignored and trying to remain positive instead of choosing to jack it in for the remaining 4 weeks?

1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

How do I deal with being ignored and trying to remain positive instead of choosing to jack it in for the remaining 4 weeks?

By knowing that the pupils have shown more maturity than your colleagues  Embrace it, revel in their disgust.

• 2 weeks later...

About a million years ago I mentioned that I was looking to change careers.

Well, I did and then some, switching from call centre work to volunteering to mental health work to now having 2 jobs

One as a Data Officer for a Substance Misuse Charity ( I'm shit at maths, but really good at collating and presenting stats) dragging a 2nd charity kicking and screaming through GDPR changes and changing Crm management, reporting and training. 

In job 2 I work frontline for the NHS and have spent the last six months or so setting up an Outreach service from scratch on a zero budget that is now actively involved in so many things it's ridiculous. 

Why am I posting in here? Well, working 2 jobs is corpsing me mentally and physically and 70 hour weeks arent unusual. I love what I do, but I cant keep doing it at this pace, as I'll fall apart. 

So where next? I've got Administrator status on In Form ( charity version of Saleaforce) and narrowly missed out on a Salesforce Consultant job last year that would have seen a 40k plus salary ( mental money tbh!) I have project management experience up to my eyeballs, but no Prince2 ( it's shit but people want the qualification) and im kinda stuck.

I love working 3rd Sector/charity/ health because anything can make a very real difference to people's lives.

Ive been asked to do training around social media as a side project for two different charities after increasing impressions and views from the low 10s to the thousands without promoting a  single post and delivery of that will net me around 250 quid for 3 hours training and a revised social media policy.

I'd love to move into consultancy, whilst keeping my NHS job, but not sure how to start. 

Anyone got any ideas as basically I need to work smarter not longer 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've got an interview tomorrow for an acting manager position in my department to cover maternity leave and I'm shitting it a bit. I wasn't that nervous as I thought I was pretty well prepared for it, but when I came to practice my examples out loud a few days ago it all came out as a jumbled mess of shite and I sounded like someone who shouldn't be in charge of a broom. Since then I've gone over it a lot, and it's tonnes better, but I am slightly worried I will turn to jelly in the room.