The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Moderators

Can we not start using this thread to share job adverts please? Thanks. 

Would be a bit different if there was a specific job, with a warm lead or introduction that suits someone specifically. But this is just generic agency job board stuff.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

There's something very funny to me about posting a very specific job that requires 2 years previous experience, and is completely London-centric on a wrestling forum, completely out of the blue. Well done Carbomb, this might be the first time you've made me laugh. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Just trying to help by passing on some info that I don't need. I don't know everyone on here, so thought someone might be able to use it. 

Didn't know about the posting thing - I've posted jobs from and links to that writing jobs newsletter before, and nobody seemed to mind, so didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Just trying to help by passing on some info that I don't need. I don't know everyone on here, so thought someone might be able to use it. 

Didn't know about the posting thing - I've posted jobs from and links to that writing jobs newsletter before, and nobody seemed to mind, so didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

It's only never been a rule before because I thought it would just be common sense.. Do you not see how that job ad is more than likely to be completely useless everyone?

Anyone who's ever job hunted online probably gets scores of that kind of guff in their mailbox constantly anyway. I know I do.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's only never been a rule before because I thought it would just be common sense.. Do you not see how that job ad is more than likely to be completely useless everyone?

Anyone who's ever job hunted online probably gets scores of that kind of guff in their mailbox constantly anyway. I know I do.

Honestly didn't see it. It was from a personalised mail rather than a circular or a mail shot - I simply cut out the job description from the email and pasted it here.

Will take this on board for the future. I don't get many job mails these days, as I've unsubscribed from pretty much all the jobsites I was on, so genuinely thought this could be a lead. 

• Paid Members

For who? That's the baffling part to me. Who did you think on this forum who was up for a bit of Asian real estate in London? Richie Freebird? Ricky Knight? The thousands of Scottish people on here? 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Londoners, or people who wouldn't mind moving for a job that pays well. There are a lot of lurkers on here that we know almost nothing about, so I (mistakenly) thought there might be someone out of all that.

Can we drop this now? I was just trying to help, it's not like there's anything in it for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!

• Paid Members

£12 grand to leave your job? Fuck we live in different worlds. I'd rather have 12 grand for free keep working in nearly any situation. Leaving a job at the same time as buying a house seems like a bad idea but I'm not really the house buying type either.  On reflection I'm not the best person to give you advice.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Grecian said:

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!

Apply for the job. Worst that can happen is they make you redundant and you get the package. If more then 1 of you goes to take redundancy they could let you both walk. £12k won't keep you a float for long (hypertheticly, I mean I have no idea of your financial situation). My best mate got £30k to leave his job at a bookies (he was in head office) and he thought he was made and he would get a job easily. It took almost 9 months, a wage cut and by the time he started he was almost out of cash.