The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

Working in Restaurants doesn't get much better, unfortunately. Some of the stories my Chefs at college used to tell were really quite depressing. Stuff like "My kids grew up without me but they seem to have turned out okay" or talking about an old Pastry tutor who retired and kept hanging about the college, writing recipes, because he had nothing else in his life.

The good thing about cooking though is there are more places to work than just restaurants or hotels. If it's something you are interested in then maybe have a look at care homes, schools, hospitals etc? It's still busy but there's a far better work/life balance.

On a related note, it looks like I might be done as a Chef. I applied for a KP job in a five star hotel, mainly because of my own insecurity about whether I could cut it at that level but they offered me a job in their canteen instead. After a month of working relatively normal hours, and actually having a proper contract, I don't know if I can ever go back to the way I've been living for the past few years. I can't remember the last time I've been able to definitively say "I'm off that day" or know exactly how much I'm going to be paid at the end of the month. It's fucking great. There's talk about moving me up at some point but I think I'll say no if I'm offered.

I have this week booked off (I had it off in my old job and told them before I started here) and it's the first time I've been able to see my Fiance for more than a few hours in over a fortnight. We have a friend over for board games tonight, and I've not seen him in over a week when we'd usually see each other every week.

My shifts for next week went up and they're upsetting tbh.

Tue - 5pm - 11.45pm

Wed - 12pm - 11.45pm

Thurs - 4pm - 11.45pm

Fri - 10am - 5pm (this is the first reasonable shift I've had since I started)

Sat - 12pm - 11.45pm

Like I'm 3 weeks into a career I've never done and they've stuck me on 4 midnight closes in one week. 

I've been speaking to my other half the last few days and I think I'm going to try and drop to part time hours. It's either that or look elsewhere. 

To be fair those hours are expected working in a restaurant. Have been in that field myself and its mainly evenings and weekends. What I will say though is to take the hours whilst you got them as they may drop slightly as business quietens down in the winter. Joys of the catering & hospitality industry. 

I've started looking for new work for what feels like the millionth time since I started my current job last May. I work in PPI complaints so there's only around a year of the job even existing, and I've been trying to get ahead of the game by getting out early. The turnover rate in my office is ridiculously high, so clearly other people have the same idea.The job recently completely changed, the bank having spent millions developing a horrible piece of software "to make the job easier" that they're too stubborn to admit is too buggy/flawed in general to be getting used.

Today, for the second time in under two months, I nearly quit. The first time was the day after I'd had an anxiety attack, brought on by the stress of struggling to adapt to the hugely increased workload, I was having an informal meeting with my team leader where I explained the situation, and how I was struggling but still trying my hardest. A senior manager then barged into the room, told me to stop being so negative about the new system, and reminded me that I was "just a contractor". For fear of retaliation I haven't, but I could have filed a complaint about that considering I've disclosed my anxiety issues and threatening my job based on that breaches the Equality Act. Instead I just kept my head down and got on with doing the job. I was good it at before they changed it, and it didn't take long before things clicked again.

Cut to today, and I got pulled into a meeting with my team leader and another senior manager. Over the past week I've had a lot of "QC fails" - people check our work and if we've done something wrong, we get a fail - due to faults with the new software, where files haven't been transferring from my computer to the network drive until after the QCs have checked the work. I appealed these fails, and my team leader assured me they would get overturned because I could prove I had done things I was failed for not doing. So imagine my surprise today when this other manager accuses me of lying about the files being there, asking me point blank if I was trying to "defraud the system" by moving the files manually after getting fails. I fully explained my side of the story, but I had to answer the same question several times before he started to believe me. My team leader, who had all of the evidence to back my claims up, didn't say a word to stick up for me. Eventually it came down to the manager realising this was probably a problem with the software, but only after me asserting that I had proof I was doing the work right. It doesn't seem like this situation is over, and I'm probably likely to undergo scrutiny from more than one manager for something that's entirely not my fault. As soon as I left the meeting I told my team leader to put me down for a half shift today, because I was feeling sick. I missed out the end of the sentence, that being "... and tired of all the fucking bullshit in here." They trust me to train new people and do pre-QC checks (without any extra pay, of course), but they don't trust my word?

I turn 30 in two weeks and I feel like I'm at a complete standstill. I have no career prospects to speak of - I had recently applied for a promotion to QC but it seems that they're the ones who originally accused me of trying to cheat their system, so I think I'll withdraw my application so I'm not stuck with a bunch of cunts who've already tried to cost me my job - and I don't even know what I want to do with my life. I have a degree in filmmaking and screenwriting, but as well as that not being helpful for getting a job in Glasgow, I don't want to deal with that industry any more after getting a closer look at some of the inner workings. I've fallen into finance because it was easy and apparently I'm good at it, but I don't have the right qualifications to do anything more specific within the field, and I don't have the money to fund any further studies. I'm still applying for 'finance assistant' and similar jobs, but I seem to never hear back from 99% of things I apply for. The only thing I've got potentially lined up is a trainee accountancy job, which applications closed for nearly a month ago, but they've sent a couple of e-mail updates that they're still sorting through the high volume of applications. Which doesn't fill me with a lot of hope, because I can't imagine I really stand out.

Rant over. Rut, sadly not.

• Paid Members

Popped into work today and had a word with the boss. Over the next few weeks I'll be phased into part time hours at my own request. It's ideal for me because I can hopefully have that work/life balance.

• Paid Members

Was let go from my job Monday after returning from a week’s holiday. After 8 months they’ve decided, “it’s not working out”.

I feel fed up. I wasn’t enjoying the job so not upset I no longer have it, but was sticking it out so I didn’t have a short tenure on my CV. But now I’m jobless, don’t know whether to look for another one or go back to freelance full time, or whether to start looking at jobs abroad (Barcelona and Amsterdam are high on my list) as I really don’t want to be in the UK any more. Brexit literally makes me want to run a mile from Britain. 

20 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Brexit literally makes me want to run a mile from Britain.

You'll only end up in the sea, you'd need to go further.

But seriously, sorry to hear that.  You're clearly a talented chap and I'm sure your skills, expertise and experience will mean you'll be snapped up sooner rather than later.  Plus you've got the freelance to keep things ticking over.  All the best to you.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Was let go from my job Monday after returning from a week’s holiday. After 8 months they’ve decided, “it’s not working out”.

I feel fed up. I wasn’t enjoying the job so not upset I no longer have it, but was sticking it out so I didn’t have a short tenure on my CV. But now I’m jobless, don’t know whether to look for another one or go back to freelance full time, or whether to start looking at jobs abroad (Barcelona and Amsterdam are high on my list) as I really don’t want to be in the UK any more. Brexit literally makes me want to run a mile from Britain. 

If you've no ties then start looking abroad. You don't have to take what the other countries offer, and it's not like the UK will stop you from coming back if you get sick of paella. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 10/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, Juan Manforce said:

I've started looking for new work for what feels like the millionth time since I started my current job last May. I work in PPI complaints so there's only around a year of the job even existing, and I've been trying to get ahead of the game by getting out early. The turnover rate in my office is ridiculously high, so clearly other people have the same idea.The job recently completely changed, the bank having spent millions developing a horrible piece of software "to make the job easier" that they're too stubborn to admit is too buggy/flawed in general to be getting used.

Today, for the second time in under two months, I nearly quit. The first time was the day after I'd had an anxiety attack, brought on by the stress of struggling to adapt to the hugely increased workload, I was having an informal meeting with my team leader where I explained the situation, and how I was struggling but still trying my hardest. A senior manager then barged into the room, told me to stop being so negative about the new system, and reminded me that I was "just a contractor". For fear of retaliation I haven't, but I could have filed a complaint about that considering I've disclosed my anxiety issues and threatening my job based on that breaches the Equality Act. Instead I just kept my head down and got on with doing the job. I was good it at before they changed it, and it didn't take long before things clicked again.

Cut to today, and I got pulled into a meeting with my team leader and another senior manager. Over the past week I've had a lot of "QC fails" - people check our work and if we've done something wrong, we get a fail - due to faults with the new software, where files haven't been transferring from my computer to the network drive until after the QCs have checked the work. I appealed these fails, and my team leader assured me they would get overturned because I could prove I had done things I was failed for not doing. So imagine my surprise today when this other manager accuses me of lying about the files being there, asking me point blank if I was trying to "defraud the system" by moving the files manually after getting fails. I fully explained my side of the story, but I had to answer the same question several times before he started to believe me. My team leader, who had all of the evidence to back my claims up, didn't say a word to stick up for me. Eventually it came down to the manager realising this was probably a problem with the software, but only after me asserting that I had proof I was doing the work right. It doesn't seem like this situation is over, and I'm probably likely to undergo scrutiny from more than one manager for something that's entirely not my fault. As soon as I left the meeting I told my team leader to put me down for a half shift today, because I was feeling sick. I missed out the end of the sentence, that being "... and tired of all the fucking bullshit in here." They trust me to train new people and do pre-QC checks (without any extra pay, of course), but they don't trust my word?

I turn 30 in two weeks and I feel like I'm at a complete standstill. I have no career prospects to speak of - I had recently applied for a promotion to QC but it seems that they're the ones who originally accused me of trying to cheat their system, so I think I'll withdraw my application so I'm not stuck with a bunch of cunts who've already tried to cost me my job - and I don't even know what I want to do with my life. I have a degree in filmmaking and screenwriting, but as well as that not being helpful for getting a job in Glasgow, I don't want to deal with that industry any more after getting a closer look at some of the inner workings. I've fallen into finance because it was easy and apparently I'm good at it, but I don't have the right qualifications to do anything more specific within the field, and I don't have the money to fund any further studies. I'm still applying for 'finance assistant' and similar jobs, but I seem to never hear back from 99% of things I apply for. The only thing I've got potentially lined up is a trainee accountancy job, which applications closed for nearly a month ago, but they've sent a couple of e-mail updates that they're still sorting through the high volume of applications. Which doesn't fill me with a lot of hope, because I can't imagine I really stand out.

Rant over. Rut, sadly not.

I don't know what the job market is like for business development roles in Glasgow but by the sounds of your background, you'd probably be decent at it and the pay, especially with commission, can be very good indeed. With your experience, you could probably skip the Business Development Executive roles and go straight into a Business Development Manager role which, in London at least, would have you on 30k+ plus commission your first day in.

7 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

done it before lots of times, i am used to it!! plenty of snow shifting and leaf collecting for me, and making numerous cups of tea badly so i don't have to do it again..! 

its the only job i can tolerate and do with a smile on my face 

I'm not looking forward to the next month or so of leaf clearance, but I hear you on being able to tolerate it more than anything else I've done.