The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I've been promoted to Policy Programmes Manager responsible for our work in cyber security, which I'm pretty pleased about.  Aiming to stick at this for 6-12 months then take the plunge and move to London while looking for a Policy Adviser/Senior Programme Manager job. My aim was always to move up the ladder a couple of notches after graduating prior to moving, as I just couldn't be fucked with post-grad wages in London (especially when my work requires you to be in Westminster). 

Considering the last couple of years have been a hard paper round between mental health issues and some pretty bad problems with family, I'm pleased with how things are turning out, especially at my age. Know with relatively certainty what my plan going forward is in terms of work and am in a wonderful relationship with someone. Everything's coming up Milhouse. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Morning peeps. I am on edge about having to give my new reference to the job. i don't trust anyone at my current employment. When i applied for the new job i have to go to,  i was out of work, i only got the job i now have a few weeks after. On my application it was not listed, as i hadn't started it, so could i get away with giving a reference from the job i had before the one i have now? I am much more confident of that one being good. 

It says current of most recent employer, and since its not on my application form, do u think i could get away with doing so? 

if not, could i use my current job, and the previous one, but put that its only OK to contact the one in which i am more confident to get a good reference? It would take my total references up to 3 then, with 2 contactable

Operation weight gain is on by the way, as i have to try to put a few lbs on to pass my medical, luckily, it wont be for around a month. 

I think honesty would be the best here, especially as it's public sector. Go to your hiring manager / interview contact and explain you were barely there so was not worth listing for experience, but would you want a reference from them?

if they find out at a later date (they will likely get a P45 from them...) it could backfire horribly.

After spending most of my adult life freelancing and temping, I've had the same 9-5 job for over three years. And I'm leaving for a new one, not got start date yet because it's all pending reference and background checks. But I'm a bit scared. My current job is very familiar and I'm quite confident at it, although the place has gone to shit this year (hence leaving). The new one is something I've never done before, and it's sciencey. I don't even have a C grade in GCSE science. I'm also sad to be leaving my friends at my current job, but again, because it's gone to shit, a lot of them have left already. And I'll have a couple of friends at the new job, one of whom is starting the same day as me and in the same team. In general, though, how do y'all deal with starting a new job? I know that I can't just go in and be an absolute knob straight away, so I'll just not talk for the first year.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I usually hate it @King Pitcos, I’ll be completely honest and say it’s one of the main contributing factors as to why I’m still where I am.

Its been a knackering year and a half with a baby and other bits and bobs, the idea of starting fresh somewhere sounds like hell to me. I just want to tick the boxes at the moment, make sure the students are alright but not put an ounce of effort in to frivolous, or ‘extra mile’ office based stuff. I simply can’t be arsed right now.

So yeah, maybe if/when I get a second wind and when I’m not as preoccupied, I might start to care more... struggling to see that happening any time soon, let alone trying to impress new people.

Best of luck with your new job though. It’s grand that you have a mate starting at the same time.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

After spending most of my adult life freelancing and temping, I've had the same 9-5 job for over three years. And I'm leaving for a new one, not got start date yet because it's all pending reference and background checks. But I'm a bit scared. My current job is very familiar and I'm quite confident at it, although the place has gone to shit this year (hence leaving). The new one is something I've never done before, and it's sciencey. I don't even have a C grade in GCSE science. I'm also sad to be leaving my friends at my current job, but again, because it's gone to shit, a lot of them have left already. And I'll have a couple of friends at the new job, one of whom is starting the same day as me and in the same team. In general, though, how do y'all deal with starting a new job? I know that I can't just go in and be an absolute knob straight away, so I'll just not talk for the first year.

Just be aware that you probably won't have a fucking clue for about 2 weeks so don't freak out about that. Just try and absorb as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask questions, and be friendly to people. Once you have a bit of experience under your belt and some confidence in the role, that's when you can reveal your true personality.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

My Fiancé finally graduated from her course and got a job in the field she wanted to be in, meaning I've been able to not worry about supporting us fully any more and look for something I actually want to do.
Applied for a role as a Chef in a local restaurant that offered full training (I have no professional experience) and they rang me the next day and offered me an interview tomorrow. 
Absolutely shitting myself because as mentioned, despite training offered I have no experience, plus I've wanted out of my current job pretty much since the day I started so to get this close to a new start is putting me on edge.
I'm just hoping that with the type of work it is they don't stick me in constantly on the evenings and weekends, because as much as I don't mind working them I'd rather do early starts as my current job is 7am-2.30am Mon-Fri and my Fiancé finally started getting weekends off after working them constantly for the past 4 years.

• Paid Members

Sorry to double post in here, but I got offered the job after my interview and we had discussed clearly that my only two questions were:

1. What is the hourly rate (they said they weren't 100% off the top of their head but it was £8.something an hour)

2. Can you guarantee me a full time 35 hour week (they said it might be 40 one week and 20 the next but on average across the month it will be full 35 hours)

I get my Job Offer today to sign and accept and the salary is stated as minimum wage and the hours as 25 a week but not guaranteed.

I've rang the place up but the manager that interviewed me isn't in until 5pm. Am I completely in the right here to have them re-send it with the agreed terms or is that something that won't happen and I've basically been fobbed off and they hoped I'd blindly sign it?

• Moderators

Whether or not you need the job badly enough to accept anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask.If they still say they can't budge then you can make a decision on that basis.

They sound like lying pricks trying to pull a fast one though, so I'd factor that in to your decision making.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Whether or not you need the job badly enough to accept anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask.If they still say they can't budge then you can make a decision on that basis.

They sound like lying pricks trying to pull a fast one though, so I'd factor that in to your decision making.

I'm in full time work at the minute on a decent wage, but want a change of career out of the office and into something I actually want to do. I can take the pay drop on full time hours because I understand you can't just walk into a brand new career and start high up, but I can't take a pay drop and 10 hours gone. It's not feasible.
The woman who interviewed me honestly seemed really genuine so I don't think it's malicious, it might just be the generic corporate offer as it's not personally named, just says "manager". But if she rings me later and says she can't budge then I'll be livid.

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm in full time work at the minute on a decent wage, but want a change of career out of the office and into something I actually want to do. I can take the pay drop on full time hours because I understand you can't just walk into a brand new career and start high up, but I can't take a pay drop and 10 hours gone. It's not feasible.
The woman who interviewed me honestly seemed really genuine so I don't think it's malicious, it might just be the generic corporate offer as it's not personally named, just says "manager". But if she rings me later and says she can't budge then I'll be livid.

She doesn't know the hourly rate for the position she's hiring for.

2fzlmp.jpg

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought that but she did explain she was only the stand-in manager after the last one left and they hadn't filled the role yet. It was off-putting, even moreso now it's not even close to what she told me.

Staff turnaround in kitchen work is massive, they are used to people not returning after a shift, for instance, so fixed hours are rare.  Also you mentioned about not wanting to work evenings or weekends.  That's when the majority of work is.  Don't know if things have changed but most people I know who were in the restaurant game worked split shifts which are a bastard.  Unless it's somewhere like a school that won't be open in the evening then you'll be sound.

I'd stick to your current job for a bit longer to be honest.