The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, the good thing is you don't need the job, per se, but I hope the cards fall in your favour.

Thanks Keith.

She rang me not long ago and was confused by the errors. She said pay starts at minimum but goes up to £8.10 after training and said she had permission to start me on the higher wage but I said I didn't want special treatment and to just go as normal.

She promised me she put 35 hours on my contract so is annoyed it came in on the offer as 25. She said that I still have to sign a proper contract which will have my guaranteed 35 hours on and that overrides my offer letter.

So yeah, all's well that ends well it seems. Genuine human error.

Edit: I asked about split shifts, they said it's possible but I'll be notified in advance and it's not often the Chefs do them, it's more front of house.

Edited by FelatioLips

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Having spent the last year filtering around one job I hated, one I liked but the hours crippled me with low income and my current one I'm using very much as a stop gap, tomorrow I travel to Bath and interview for the job I've wanted for nearly four years and now am within touching distance of. Its always been my end goal to run a bar and kitchen of a pub/entertainment venue and be involved in student life and tomorrow I get to try and become the assistant manager for my old SU where I spent years loving every second I worked there. Hyped, seriously hyped.

• Paid Members

If that's the case, then I'm wishing you all the good luck I can. You've been through some shit, so you deserve some good stuff coming your way now. Absolute bloody best of British to you.

• Paid Members

It's all coming up Milhouse for the UKFF Bath contingent, as I'm also (first stage) interviewing for a Policy and Government Affairs Manager role on Monday.

Good work Shy Dad, all the best with it and hope it goes well. 

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about that Shy Dad and echo Chest's advice above.

Felt the first stage one for me went well on Monday and should hear back today or tomorrow. Really like the atmosphere of the place, feels like a tech startup in how close knit the team is and it's a new role, which I love, because you have so much control over what you make of it.  Only fucker is that it's a three stage interview process which'll undoubtedly impinge on my holiday in a fortnight should I get that far. We'll see anyway. Plus I would have budget! Budget! I vaguely remember what that's like. 

I've also got an interview next Tuesday for a Senior Parliamentary Officer role at a mental health charity. Would be nice to design campaigns and lobby on something I am totally committed to. 

It's a fucking disaster at my current job. I'm in no danger of getting canned, but the entire Policy team (apart from me) has handed in their notice/left within 5 months, which is staggering. I've never worked anywhere ran as poorly and I've done local government and local party politics Utter basket case of an organisation at present. 

Edited by Gus Mears

I think I am at that point in my life (well career) where I want a fresh challenge. Just like Mourinho I can only do 2-3 years at the time being my best and then afterwards I just get fed up once I have achieved everything I have wanted to achieve. 

A few years ago I would get quite a number of interviews but haven't really heard much back recently (this might be partly to do with me going for things I probably have no chance of getting). Anyway I do think my CV needs re-doing and I had a look on google and there are some amazing things out there now with things like self ratings (yes you can mark yourself on how good you are at something - strange I know). Any good pointers where to go for a good CV? I feel something smart and with the times would do me well with my experience. Interviews I am fine with and usually do really well, its just the CV/getting interviews that is the challenge.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear the bad news @Shy Dad. Hopefully it's not going to put you down too much, just keep looking. There's more than 1 decent job out there.

Left my job today, start my new one next week. I thought it might be emotional as there was some great people there but I hated the place so much I got out by lunch and never looked back. They gave me an ace send-off though.