The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

A few years ago, I'd say hold off until you've got something lined up, but as someone who put up with shitty call centre work (that only got shittier over time due to inept management) for years because of a fear of letting people down and a misplaced loyalty in the people who got me the job, and because I didn't have a job lined up to go into, I'd say nothing is more important than your happiness and wellbeing. Absolutely no excuse to keep something in your life that's making you actively miserable more often than not, so if you can afford to sack it off, do it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A few years ago, I'd say hold off until you've got something lined up, but as someone who put up with shitty call centre work (that only got shittier over time due to inept management) for years because of a fear of letting people down and a misplaced loyalty in the people who got me the job, and because I didn't have a job lined up to go into, I'd say nothing is more important than your happiness and wellbeing. Absolutely no excuse to keep something in your life that's making you actively miserable more often than not, so if you can afford to sack it off, do it.

Yeah. I can afford, at least for the next year or so, to leave and still have enough cash to pay all my bills etc. Yeah, I might be a bit more broke in terms of being able to buy graphic novels or games or books, but I'd rather have less money and more free time to write.

15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

7000 words job application essay, @Shy Dad? Fuck that shit!

Yeah, I thought that sounded quite excessive too. That's longer than my dissertation was!

@SpursRiot2012 is this the same employer that kept giving you substantial pay rises every time you tried to hand in your notice? At least try and get a new car or something out of him before leaving.

But in all seriousness, I agree with BomberPat, if it's making you that miserable then sack it off. I've been in a similar position - shitty sales job, unsociable working hours, miserable more often than not - and packing it in was a no brainier for me. Supporting myself financially was difficult afterwards, but if you've got enough to get by then you'll probably be better off in the long run.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

7000 words job application essay, @Shy Dad? Fuck that shit!

When my mate worked at an EE shop applicants had do a 15-20 minute presentation about why they wanted a fifteen hour a week, minimum wage, sales job. They ended up shutting the shop down through lack of staff.

I had a trial shift for a Chef's job today and nailed it. It's not quite the stuff I want to do (it's basic pub grub) but it's a step up from my current job, full time and it's local. It feels weird to be leaving my current job though. I've only been there for two and a half years but they've helped me out a lot. I'm only on a 16 hour a week contract though, which was great when I was at college, but not so good now that I'm done.

7 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Nah, I've had one foot out of the door for months. He basically had to talk me into staying the last time. I've got other stuff I want to be doing and this, even at only a couple days a week, is a headache I don't need. I will sleep on it, but can't see changing my mind.

If he had to talk you into staying, is there nothing you can do to bargain yourself into a better role, improved rates, or professional investment, like short courses you could add to your CV? That is, if you can stand to stay for a bit longer, and provided it doesn't tie you down for ages or a set time. If your line manager wants you in, you might as well see how much you can get out of them.

• Paid Members
Just now, CavemanLynn said:

If he had to talk you into staying, is there nothing you can do to bargain yourself into a better role, improved rates, or professional investment, like short courses you could add to your CV? That is, if you can stand to stay for a bit longer, and provided it doesn't tie you down for ages or a set time. If your line manager wants you in, you might as well see how much you can get out of them.

It's a small business so the MD is my direct manager. The problem he's had is he's found it very difficult to find people who are a) good at B2B lead generation and b) fit in with the group (white, male, like booze and coke). So, even though I know for a fact there's been times he's been really pissed off with me over sickness or whatever, he also doesn't want to lose part of his "core" BDM team. Within our industry, there isn't really anything he could send me on course wise that would also benefit the business, tbh.

And there is no better role, beyond training new people here or there. He also pissed me off today. I think I mentioned before we'd agreed that I'd do some copywriting for the company, freelance. He told me the other day that actually they weren't going to do that anymore. So, today he e-mails me all this copy that he's had admin assistant/recruitment manager write and asks if I can proof it and also "feel free to add stuff or re-write bits you think could be improved." Like, really? You don't want to pay the reasonable rate I offered you for the work, get it done badly during office hours by someone who isn't known for their writing ability, and then send it to me to "proof" for free? Naw.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

You looking to get into the copywriting game for a living then SR?

Not exactly. I want to write journalistic features for a living but I'm realistic enough to realise that doing that isn't likely to pay the bills, at least at first, so I'm also looking at trying to get some freelance copywriting work, or even a permanent copywriting job, whilst also trying to build a portfolio of decent journalistic work. 

The eventual dream is to be able to support myself on freelance writing gigs, while also pursuing little side stuff like stand up and script writing. 

Edit: I'm also going to be doing a masters next year, fingers crossed. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Cheers, dude. I shall. I've still got all your advice about living in Spain saved as a document. Things obviously changed with meeting my partner and us buying a place in London, but we both still intend to move out of the UK when we've finished our studies and are then able to sell our flat and everything else. I'm still pushing for Spain, but she's quite keen on Canada - which I'm not even sure I can get into with my previous misdeeds!

• Paid Members

I think, in regards to the 7000 words, its almost as if putting a cover letter and a written presentation formally of a CV together, with 7000 being the maximum word count they'd allow (because I hazard a guess that people like to pin point everything in detail whereas stuff like that makes me uncomfortable).

Have moved back to the parents for the time being. House contract ran out in Bath and having only been working part time to be able to afford to live while doing the Masters, funds and quite low while I try and piece my life back together. Back on the horse putting applications in anywhere I seem to have relevant skills and the money isn't going to bankrupt me trying to live in Bath. Its frustrating as hell, trying to put my anxiety together with a need to have somewhere I'm settled and confident in being able to go day to day, but you know gotta keep yourself in the fight. Something will come up I'm sure.