The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I've been trying desperately to find a job I enjoy and gives me a decent take-home salary each month since graduating in 2015. No exaggeration, I have changed job in the past 6 months about 8 times... It's starting to get a little silly as I now have small experiences on my CV which must make me look like very unreliable. The truth of the matter is that I just get bored easily, enjoy a varied role and feel like I should just always be doing something bigger and better. My boyfriend who works as a recruiter has told me that I should take away all the little jobs I've been doing from my CV as a one month experience isn't really valid. Can somebody advise? Like I said I just have random jobs scattered across my CV and nothing really looks linear. 

My degree is in visual arts, whilst I enjoyed the degree itself (not the debt) I feel pretty useless right now. I live in London so it should be fairly easy to find something I enjoy but I'm honestly having a nightmare with it all...

I work for a charity on a part-time basis, earning around £500 a month which is convenient in some ways as I pay no tax at the moment as I saw here the threshold is £11,500 personal allowance tax calculator  is that right? I do a few other freelance jobs around this. But ideally I'd want to something permanant and something that pays well as I'm struggling financially. Can someone advise? 

I've tried all sorts of work from high-end retail to hospitality. Nothing sticks!!!! :angry:

• Paid Members

I applied for a senior position at work. There's three positions going, and three of us applied. From speaking to the others, I got pretty much the same score on the technical competency test as the others.

I got a call today saying I've been unsuccessful. After the interviews, management went to someone else in the office and said they'd make allowances for him to apply if he wanted (and they were pushing for him to apply before, but he wasn't bothered).

Obviously I'm still mid-sulk, but that seems a bit of a cunt move to me, and I'm actually dreading going in tomorrow to have people ask how I managed to lose out to someone that didn't even apply.

• Paid Members
On 15/12/2017 at 12:58 AM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I applied for a senior position at work. There's three positions going, and three of us applied. From speaking to the others, I got pretty much the same score on the technical competency test as the others.

I got a call today saying I've been unsuccessful. After the interviews, management went to someone else in the office and said they'd make allowances for him to apply if he wanted (and they were pushing for him to apply before, but he wasn't bothered).

Obviously I'm still mid-sulk, but that seems a bit of a cunt move to me, and I'm actually dreading going in tomorrow to have people ask how I managed to lose out to someone that didn't even apply.

It's disappointingly common. I once sat in a meeting where they planned who would do what job after a restructuring when the new roles hadn't been announced to the masses yet. 

I popped in to say I quit my job and am heading back to the UK. It's been made very clear daily for a year now that some people don't want me there and others don't need me there. Given me going out there was a stress factor for my dad I'm not very comfortable with calling it a day as I've caused a lot of trouble to be there but I'm more use to family back home and I don't want to be in such a caustic, ego driven hovel because it's crushing me, but in truth it's already crushed me and I'm finally accepting I have no career and I never will. 

• Paid Members

In fairness, the rest of the people in the office have been supportive of me after what happened.

And by supportive, I mean they're generally saying "How the fuck did he get it?". Partly because most of them still thought that he hadn't applied, but also because he's got considerably less experience and his competency is questionable.

In my "Here's why you didn't get it" meeting, they ummed and arred for a while, made plenty of small talk, said how they had no doubts that I was capable of doing the job, but it was clear that I hadn't had a job interview recently and they have to base the application on the interview itself. It is true that I've not had a job interview in nearly 4 years, but it was a competency based interview, and my competency was fine.

Where abouts are you moving back to Tommy?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Where abouts are you moving back to Tommy?

Tamworth, home of fat people (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2286750/The-town-McDonalds-counts-health-food-Tamworth-named-obesity-capital-Britain.html) and was once the key to Barnby solving an art crime in midsomer. 

There's more about pigs and mercia, but I'm all about stuffing my face watching midsomer murders.

Edit: I lie, we had a local lass do Babestation and that woman who was on the new gladiators, jemma or something too. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I'm genuinely at a sorry state of affairs where even a job where I have qualifications and experience in I'm still doing absolutely dreadful at and didn't realise just how bad my anxiety and Aspergers was holding me back until I left university. 

Working with Odeon now after applying for a supervisor role (in which the qualities of I'm fairly competent at) to be knocked back but asked if I wanted to join as a retail team member. Excellent, chance to learn on the job kind of thing and build my confidence. Ushering wise I'm to my own belief pretty good, I can chat to customers, know the screens and rows like the back of my hand already so can direct them from the foyer with ease, have a strange obsession with cleaning as I find repetitive routines relaxing, you know it's a job I'm good at. 

Having been put on retail with about twenty minutes training on the till and told if I need any help to ask someone around me (not a strong point of someone on the autistic spectrum) between the complexity of the tills, the non stop customers, having to try and remember every detail of an order, the large amounts of bar codes, deals, promotions and cheaper tickets and the likes that come through I'm absolutely bricking every shift I have to go into. Especially as it's such a major thing about positive feedback and I already feel anxious enough asking customers to give me feedback online, never mind when I'm there visibly shaking in front of them. 

The staff are lovely and are always trying to help but nothing goes into my brain, theyre trying to teach me too much at once which is just causing me sensory overload and the Christmas rush isn't helping let alone a recent release of star wars pretty much every person in Hereford seems to be watching. I'm supposed to be at work tomorrow morning but I'm awake now having a panic attack about the thought of being on retail for 8 hours with Pitch Perfect, Jumanji, Star Wars and Ferdinand all showing tomorrow and having no idea still how half the stuff works. 

• Paid Members

@Shy Dad - you have to ask for a chat with your supervisor and explain exactly what you’ve just told us. Do they know about your anxiety and Aspergers? If not you need to tell them mate or else it could end up with you being let go and how do you get out of that circle?

If they know about it you need to explain about the potential of sensory overload, about how that can manifest in to panic. Tell them the elements of the job you’re really happy and comfortable with, also tell them the exact areas that are a struggle. Who knows, there might be a member of staff who prefers the tills but hates ushering and your supervisor might be able to develop a new working pattern. Either way, you need to talk to them about the severity mate.

@Nostalgia Nonce that’s 100% a pile of shit and is incredibly obvious that they had their eyes on the other candidate before the interviews even went ahead. Happened to a colleague of mine, we were all in agreement that it was bollocks and the were obviously the much better choice. The place was also investigated for nepotism and seniors went to tribunal. There typically isn’t much you can do other than go to HR if you think/find info that suggests foul play. That sucks man. It’s positive to hear that your only fault was being a bit rusty during the interview, no matter how convoluted that is. It sounds like they needed an excuse to by-pass you for your colleague and if you had performed poorly, didn’t have skill set, experience etc, it sounds like they would have jumped at the chance to tell you, as it’s a more watertight reason to side step you. The fact that they couldn’t say those things speaks volumes about you.  

• Paid Members

@Shy Dad Kaz is 100% right.  Have a chat with management.  Unless they know you have an issue, they can’t help you.  I think you are still suffering the effects of the bullshit you went through in your last job.  I’m sure all will go well.

@tommy what career is it that you want to do?

• Paid Members

They've actually been better the last two days now working with me to address any issues I have and easing me in slower to a lot of the processes. I'm much preferring this job than the last one for the people and the environment. Just need to build my confidence which is usually the kicker that brings me down. 

• Paid Members

That’s really good news buddy.  Glad to see they are helping you along with it.  You’re confidence will kick in soon enough, just don’t rush things.

• Paid Members
On 21/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Thunderplex said:

@tommy what career is it that you want to do?

Bookkeeping or basic support on the technical back end, report building or configuration,  is my background. 

In truth I'm broken and bored and tired with keep trying. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I was forced into a complete career change 6 years ago, and I’m sorry I never did it before.  You’re obviously a smart chap, is ther nothing you fancy doing as a change?

• Paid Members

It looks like I'm going to have to get a job in the new year. Although my student finance covers all my bills and essentials, not having anything else coming in means you're fucked if anything happens (like breaking your leg and having to get Uber everywhere!)

I left my sales job back at the end of August because I was going into the final year of uni and I didn't want to be distracted. Any job I take will have to be part time. No more than 2-3 days a week. I'm loathe to do any job that isn't in some way connected to my undergraduate or my masters. I'm not going back to sales, despite whatever talent I seem to have for it. 

I've never really had a job I enjoyed. I've never been the guy to wake up in the morning, full of beans and looking forward to his day at work. I know people like that exist. I would like to be one of those people. So I'm going to be very picky. Although I do need cash, I have time. 

Back on the job websites in the new year. 😣 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

I was forced into a complete career change 6 years ago, and I’m sorry I never did it before.  You’re obviously a smart chap, is ther nothing you fancy doing as a change?

I moved into the IT side as a change. 

In truth I'm not sure how long I have before my health has me calling time on work and I'm clearly not the sort of person for progression. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I moved into the IT side as a change. 

In truth I'm not sure how long I have before my health has me calling time on work and I'm clearly not the sort of person for progression. 

It’s important for you to be your health into check, but don’t resign yourself to think that’s it for good.  When your in a better position, it will be clearer what you can and can’t do, just hoping it all goes well for you.