The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Chest, have you considered working more in the public or third sector?  I could be off but I'd assume at least the majority of your work is done with private companies.  I'm working in a project just now with an analyst who used to be a high flyer with KPMG. He got sick of that corporate style of work and now works exclusively with local authorities, charities and social enterprises.  I'd imagine you need to look a bit harder for the contracts that earn more as that's the nature of the sectors but he reckons it's much more varied, interesting and enjoyable.

• Paid Members

Ralphy, higher rate tax is when your earning 40k plus. 

If you start a second job you may start off paying a flat basic rate (20%) because all your allowances would be allocated to your first job. (assuming you've given them your P45 on starting there) 

When you start the second job. Ring the tax office up and have your tax code split between the 2 jobs in a way that benefits you the most. The quicker you do this on starting, the quicker your tax will be correct. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Yes. If your total from both is less than your personal allowance of £11,000 then you shouldn't be paying tax. The issue is that you need to get the allowance split over the 2 jobs so each set of income is covered by the allowance. If you do end up paying something initially, once the tax codes are sorted you should get any refund paid direct into your wages. 

Call HRMC and explain what both jobs are and your code should be adjusted accordingly. In theory you will not pay tax if below the personal allowance but depends on how likely you are to go above it. If you do get away without paying tax and do go over they will make you pay more the next year anyway.  

14 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Chest, have you considered working more in the public or third sector?  I could be off but I'd assume at least the majority of your work is done with private companies.  I'm working in a project just now with an analyst who used to be a high flyer with KPMG. He got sick of that corporate style of work and now works exclusively with local authorities, charities and social enterprises.  I'd imagine you need to look a bit harder for the contracts that earn more as that's the nature of the sectors but he reckons it's much more varied, interesting and enjoyable.

I'll echo that. Took a turn from corporate call centre bullshit ( we're so obsessed with stats and SLA's that we have forgotten how to run a call centre and that there are actual people involved and it's not on a spreadsheet) went through what I was veering towards which is 'helping people' and found a few jobs that are well paid considering and infinitely more rewarding. For all the stick it gets, the  charity/lottery etc based sector is more concerned with getting stuff done rather than  being a slave to whatever metrics that private enterprise is obsessed with much more scope to have freedom rather than beings stifled by the system, oddly

13 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Right, quick question please peeps, can someone help me out with this? I started a casual/zero hour contract job yesterday, so if i happen to get another job to go on top of this one, weather its another zero hour/part time/full time, would i pay the high tax rate on the 2nd job?

I ask, as for this tax year, i have earned next to nothing (nowhere near the amount to pay tax) so i am unsure if i will still have to pay the high rate or not, because hey, the government fucks us all!

As others have said will be threshold. I'm working 2 jobs as part of a cross over and will be taxed as normal and then 2nd job will be 20%  at which case I hope I've ditched it by then

• Paid Members

What do you get for signing on these days? 100 quid every two weeks? I can't imagine anybody would enjoy that - putting aside the confidence issues that can arise with having to interact with Job Centre staff every couple of weeks - once they've got past their early 20s. 

Hope things work out, Keith. 

• Paid Members

Spurs, cheeky bastard, i’m Middle aged dammit.

Keith, sorry to hear that.  Hope things improve for you quickly and you have been given all the help you need. 

Keith have you thought of doing a small business at home thing, you could get the funding through Princes Trust if you are younger then 32, I have no idea how old you are so if you are older then this this.

Also you are a keen photographer, could you not get paid to do that, my mate gets work all the time doing photos for weddings etc.