The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Which is something I'm actually looking to do as a side story after new year.

Video game blog (mainly Football Manager for now) and then starting a separate vlog called Wrestling with Aspergers, detailing the year I'll have training to wrestle again as well as going to shows and stuff. Looking to use personality quirks to the best effect.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Bizarrely, because of what I've been assessed as, I'm getting only slightly less money wise a month than I was when working.  Admittedly that's a big weight off and will help me get well again, but I am looking forward to actually doing something and contributing because I do feel like a leech.

You commented on being a leech due to you claiming at the moment.  You’ve obviously been for a Work Capability Assessment, and if you got through that with the restrictions they put in, it means you are actually not well at present.  That is exactly what the benefit is for, and you would not have got it if you were swinging the lead.  In no way, shape or form are you a leech.  Trust me, I see plenty.

it does not mean you will be out of the game forever, just use it as time to get wha problems you can work on in check, and anything else can be sorted out eventually.  The fact you have a positive outlook towards work means you will be back in sooner or later.  Best of luck with it.

• Paid Members

Got a phone call today to tell me I hadn't got the job I applied for but that I did so great at my interview and knew what I was talking about so much that they've offered me a job at one of the lower positions I accepted in less than a second. 

This is a chance to use my degree, skills and passion all in one job. Absolutely fucking ecstatic. 

2 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Got a phone call today to tell me I hadn't got the job I applied for but that I did so great at my interview and knew what I was talking about so much that they've offered me a job at one of the lower positions I accepted in less than a second. 

This is a chance to use my degree, skills and passion all in one job. Absolutely fucking ecstatic. 

Magnificent! And of course, once you're in they can see where best to utilise your skills.  Delighted for you, buddy!

Here is a weird one.

Got approached by an agency about an IT job. Did 3 interviews and was offered the role. They offered 42k.

I said my figure is 50k.

They offered 45 and said that’s the Max they can offer. I politely decline and say I won’t be budging from 50k and thanks for the interest etc. They came back later that day and offered 50k. I verbally accepted because I am away in my honeymoon.

i get an email from another recreuient agency about the same job in the same company. Exact some role and job description. I asked the 2’nd recruitment agency how much it pays and they said 60k from the get go.

So there is a 10k difference from the two agencies , I verbally accepted the role with the first crowd but obviously would like to get as much as possible .

i am grateful for the role but it seems the first crowd are taking a far bigger cut which I’m not too happy about .

Any advice ??

• Paid Members

It's agency work so in my experience you have no legal ties with them. Agency roles at my place don't need to give notice to quit and don't need to be given warnings before getting the sack. 

I took it to mean he used an agency to get the job but found another agency offering the same position but for 10K more meaning they are likely pocketing a large chunk of that in fee's which is quite common.

You personally are probably not tied to the agency in any way, however the company who have offered you the job will have likely signed an agreement with the agency accepting terms and preventing you from switching or applying on your own for a lengthy period with your new potential employer. So by trying to switch you could end up with no offer at all as the company can't do anything else. You could try as the recruitment agents are still going to want to process you to get their hefty fee even if you mess them about (as they would see it). In my opinion you have two choices without creating complications, either talk to the company employing you and ask for the 60K or do nothing as you've already asked for a lot more money doing anything could create bad blood based on my experience in recruitment but it's a lot of money and i've never personally been in your situation so it's up to you

Edit - I originally had a general moan about my job but that's not really the mindset I want to be in.

So, I'm editing my post to basically say - as somebody looking to become a Dad in the upcoming future, what are the attitudes towards work from other parents on here? 

What factors are most important? Does job satisfaction play second fiddle to not having a long commute to work meaning you get as much free time as possible? Is a permanent role better for peace of mind than a temporary job which may lead to something better financially?

im in a quandary as I feel like there is a lot of positives to my job and I can see where parenthood would work alongside it but at the same time, not entirely sure how much longer I can tolerate it! 

Edited by Sexy Dad