Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

PGCE applications = my time to shine!

My job is dealing with PGCE Secondary applications. The best starting point is getting some school experience - this is something you'll be asked about at an interview, so it does help enormously if you have some experience to discuss. Most schools are happy to let people visit for a few days, provided you have a clean DBS. A good place to start is the Get Into Teaching website, who can help arrange some placements: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Funding - you can get the usual maintenance and tuition fee loans through Student Finance, and it'll just be added onto your existing undergraduate debt. You probably also qualify for a bursary - this year it's £15,000 for English (paid in monthly instalments for as long as you remain on the course). There's no funding for PGCE Media, and those courses are rare - you're best focusing on English.

You'll be looking at an interview for a place on the course, and that interview will look at your subject knowledge in greater depth. Take a look at the BBC Bitesize website ( https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zt3rkqt ) as even if you don't have much school experience, you'd still be expected to know about the National Curriculum and gives you an idea of the authors / texts you'll need to be familiar with. You'll also be asked about classroom management (how you'd cope with kids being shits, there are some real teachers on here who might be able to help there), personal resilience, that kind of stuff. In terms of academic qualifications, you need a 2:2 or higher, plus GCSE English Language and Maths at Grade C or better.

The other thing it might be worth thinking about is a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course - these are online courses aimed at people wanting to teach but don't have a degree fully in their chosen subject. You get a bursary for doing one, but you have to have an offer of a place on a PGCE first. More info (and this is the one we point people towards): https://www.tes.com/institute/subject-knowledge-enhancement-ske

Put something in your UCAS personal statement about your willingness to take one, it'll help!

Applications cost a quid this year, through UCAS. Go for it!

3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Cheers Simon, I'd never even thought about the teaching abroad route. By that point I'll be closing in on 30 so maybe the next adventure for me.

No worries, give me a shout in a few years if you want more info, i'm sure i'll be kicking about on here still. Important thing is to get those years under your belt in the UK as it can mean 10-20K difference in your salary as well as working for a top notch school or some fly by night institution. 

Grecian you're a star as well! Knew you'd have a ton of knowledge on the subject (rightfully so) and some of those links (especially as I've been looking for the curriculums at work this week) are a massive help to give me some stuff to check out while traveling today. 

Cheers

I think it's a great idea @Shy Dad but I strongly recommend getting some time in a secondary school before you make a decision. I work in pastoral in a secondary school and the work load and potential stress are underestimated by many. It is incredibly rewarding but there are days where I feel like just walking out of work and never going back - and I'm non-teaching staff. Teaching staff are under more pressure in many ways, the only difference is that their time is more protected than non-teaching staff- and teaching staff get pay rewards for an element of their stress.

I would echo what Grecian said and go for a PGCE with English, it'll make you infinitely more employable and it's easy to pick up media/creative media as a teaching subject depending on your school - for example if they have a Sixth Form they are likely to do Film Studies, Media and English A-levels so you can do that alongside teaching Keystage 3 and 4 English. 

If you have any questions about working in schools, feel free to drop me a DM. I've spent the last 10 years of my career in secondary and Post 16 education.

Cheers @deathrey expect a message.

Luckily for someone who graduated 10 years ago I'm still pretty close with my high school and trying to arrange some work experience as they're also one of the main teacher training bases for Worcester Uni too.