The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Thanks guys, I really am so happy about this. I have indeed accepted the offer and it's permanent. It's also part-time but, as it's more money than before (pro-rata), if I keep doing 2-3 shifts at the pub it's STILL more money than I was earning in full-time employment. It's also nearer which will save my transport costs. Better job, more money and I have a social life. Winning all round

• Paid Members

Big team reshuffle at work that nobody wanted happened today and naturally I got moved to the worst team with nobody I know. I'm fucking livid.

Big team reshuffle at work that nobody wanted happened today and naturally I got moved to the worst team with nobody I know. I'm fucking livid.

What's the thinking behind companies doing that? When I worked at EE, they reshuffled the teams for seemingly no reason other to shake things up. I was in the same position as you where I was left in a team full of strangers after building a rapport and some good friendships with the people in my previous team. Luckily I got a new job the week before the shuffle, but it seemed like an odd, polarising thing to do.

• Paid Members

What's the thinking behind companies doing that? When I worked at EE, they reshuffled the teams for seemingly no reason other to shake things up. I was in the same position as you where I was left in a team full of strangers after building a rapport and some good friendships with the people in my previous team. Luckily I got a new job the week before the shuffle, but it seemed like an odd, polarising thing to do.

If its anything like my place, it'll because they don't want people getting too pally and chatting all day.

I've been accepted for a job but I have to go through the background and credit checks, commonplace for the finance sector. It's going to take a couple of weeks and I'm worried that I might fail them and have wasted a fortnight not applying for jobs. I know I shouldn't be pessimistic but it's a worry.

• Paid Members

If its anything like my place, it'll because they don't want people getting too pally and chatting all day.

It was only last week (before I knew of the shuffle) I told my TL "if it wasn't for the people I worked with I'd have probably left ages ago" and now that's down the shitter. Absolute "et tu?" Moment.

Monkee you've said you've got an offer...are you accepting??? We need to know!!!

And I would be very surprised if they didn't contact you even if you were unsuccessful. There's only 3 of you!!!

Don't worry about it being a day late, but do chase up yourself please.

I tried calling today but got no answer so I've dropped the recruitment girl an e-mail as still not heard anything. My train of thinking was also that there was only 3 of us so no reason not to contact unsuccessful applicants.

I've been accepted for a job but I have to go through the background and credit checks, commonplace for the finance sector. It's going to take a couple of weeks and I'm worried that I might fail them and have wasted a fortnight not applying for jobs. I know I shouldn't be pessimistic but it's a worry.

I think these things are usually more if you've been declared bankrupt or have been heavily in Debt.

I have had various credit cards, loans, finance etc down the years and never failed one of these tests, I'm guessing they would have asked you on the application if you've ever had money issues so that would be the right time to say something if that were the case.

I'm sure it will be fine though. 

Yeah I had the same tests when I worked for Barclays. Just a pisser waiting for them to process it all while I keep thinking am I missing out on other jobs. At least at Barclays I could work there whilst they were being processed.