UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

When I read that last night I immediately imagined either Anderson being passed a piece of paper to read out or him having a Raw/Smackdown commentator's earpiece in with Dana telling him what to say. I don't think Silva's ever said anything like this before? (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong). This reeks of him securing a PPV % share or some bonus by playing ball to me.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what to make of Silva's outburst. Because you never him talk anything remotely close to that before previous fight it could all be to sell the fight and if it isn't I'm not sure if I worry for Sonnen or not. If Silva has lost the plot it may be what Sonnen has been waiting for this whole time. He has the guy fuming and wanting to do all these bad things to him. I was already pumped up for this fight and gotta admit this has wet my appetite even more. Its going to be electric.

When I read that last night I immediately imagined either Anderson being passed a piece of paper to read out or him having a Raw/Smackdown commentator's earpiece in with Dana telling him what to say. I don't think Silva's ever said anything like this before? (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong). This reeks of him securing a PPV % share or some bonus by playing ball to me.

He got in trouble for making comments about social class towards Maia during their fight a few years back that were quit brutal.

Silva has got to be actually beat Chael to cause him damage, which I am really not sure he will. It is a 50/50 fights in my view.

Yeah, if he has lost the plot and allowed Sonnen to get under his skin then we're either going to see Silva lose focus, or we'll see him decimate Sonnen.

Either way it's going to be a great fight. I still think Silva takes the win within a few frames.

Its just so intriguing because of what happened in there first fight, the trash talking, the dominance of Silva before Sonnen shocked the world with his performances, the excuses of injuries, Sonnen's complete lack of respect for the champ before aand after. I've only been watching UFC for about over five year now and I'm trying to think of a main event that for me has a feel of a boxing one where you just have to stay up and what live no matter what. I remember staying up for my first live UFC show which was Liddell/Rampage and it didn't disappoint. Then it was Lesnar/Mir 2 which I was very pumped up for. I'd put this up there, if not above for how excited I am to watch. I take Silva to win by stoppage between rounds 3-5.

I doubt Anderson will go swinging straight away, he always likes to get his timing down first and that's how Chael did so well in the first fight, he showed him no respect. I think he will be much harder to take down this time though and if he can stay on his feet he should win the fight. Burger King are sponsoring him $500,000, throw in whatever money the UFC gave him for not fighting in Brazil, a PPV % that should do big numbers and his usual purse and he will be getting paid big time.

Is there a full 'Primetime' show/series for this one, or is it just going to be the 'Countdown to...' show?

Sadly, just a countdown show.

Could be the best countdown since Chael vs Silva 1 or the excellent Lesnar vs Mir 2 countdown if they do it proper.

• Paid Members

Regarding the Anderson comments, I really don't think they were his own words. Whilst Sonnen has been poking at Silva leading up to this rematch, he talked way more bad shit about Anderson the first time round, and Anderson was pretty placid about it. No he's suddenly fuming? You can't really knock them for trying to squeeze ever last drop out of this though, I think we might be looking at a million buys.

Really can't wait for this, the lack of Prime Time is disappointing though.

The only two things that will stop this doing a million buys is, the oversaturation of the market or neither Sonnen or Silva having the heart of the American audience like say a Couture or Liddel have.

Now the latter have not stopped big buys in the past, Lesnar vs Mir was hardly a battle or fan favorites for example. Also, not many people will have plunked down cash for the Brazil show, so the paying public may have the cash for this card. It being in Vegas should also help, the card will get a lot more publicity here than it would in Brazil.

If by next Thursday, the signs are there like it being on the front page of Yahoo and all over Twitter, it could reach a million buys. Sonnen talked them in last time to draw 600k, that was his doing Anderson was damaged goods after UFC 112 which did 500k with him and BJ headlining (BJ pulled that number), no one wanted to see Anderson after that debacle. Sonnen made Silva the big star that his talent says he deserves to be.

To me the UFC peaked as a interest at UFC 100, this could top it if Sonnen vs Silva lives up to the hype on the night and the build in the next 2 weeks gets me pumped.

Its amazing I forget the Ortiz is retiring, he got me into the sport. The sad thing is all the losses and newer stars make me forget about Tito and what a huge fan of his I was, in 2006 he was the biggest star in the sport stateside. I hope he wins, but I think Griffin is too awkward of a match up for him.

Its amazing I forget the Ortiz is retiring, he got me into the sport. The sad thing is all the losses and newer stars make me forget about Tito and what a huge fan of his I was, in 2006 he was the biggest star in the sport stateside. I hope he wins, but I think Griffin is too awkward of a match up for him.

It's a real shame that this fight is being overlooked because of the main event, isn't it?

I stand by my original assessment that the Ortiz fight should should have main evented a FOX show.

• Paid Members

yeh, same here.

I caught the tail end of Ortiz' popularity, the humililation at the hands of Randy was the start of Tito's fall. He had bigger fights after that but until he fought Randy, Tito was still the man.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if they're Anderson's own words, like Silky said Chael talked more the first time. They might be though, Anderson may just be that pissed off now with it all. Remember this has been going on since early 2010, who knows what might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Remember how arsey Anderson got about that comment Demian Maia made in the Countdown for their fight? Something like 'A spider has eight limbs, I'm gonna take one of those limbs'. Pretty tame, standard stuff yet Anderson went mental over it.

I'm willing to bet it was the 'Medium Rare' stuff that's triggered it off. Chael said something like 'After I take your belt I'm gonna have that old lady of yours make me a steak. Medium rare how I like it'. Then turning up at UFC events wearing a shirt with a big fuck off 'Medium Rare' plastered on it.

That comment REALLY pissed Anderson off something fierce because he brought his wife up. Chael knew what he was doing saying 'Medium Rare' again at the end of that conference call.

I hope these comments do not lead to Anderson playing with Chael but not finishing him for 5 rounds like he did with Maia.

Luckily, I think Chael will prevent that with his constant grappling and takedowns. With Maia, Silva could play with him as the threat of a takedown was very low, with Chael it is always there.

Archived