UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

i hear you, but i don't necessarily see how Anderson's ribs really harmed his last performance as much as everyone like to make out. Chael never attacked the body and from a standing position Anderson seemed to look his usual self, other of course than being a little more desperate in his style as the fight wore on.

Go back and watch the fight and point out one incident where he looks like Anderson's rib affects his performance.

No one's really in a position to know just how much it affected Anderson other than the man himself but im liable to think that once he got out there, the adrenaline was pumping and the fight in progress it didn't really come into play. You can call me on that, but that's how i feel...bare in mind i haven't seen Like Water yet which apparently goes into detail of how bad the ribs were.

Another point is Anderson's takedown defence, is it really all that? When someone fully commits to getting the guy down they can usually put him on his back, Chael Sonnen is just tailor made to give Anderson fits. If Chael stays out of danger on the ground (and history shows he likely won't, but that's what makes this thing so interesting) he should win.

And i've banged on about it before, but psychologicallly Chael has to have the upperhand, has too! Injured rib or not Anderson had a miserable fucking time at UFC 117 and he must be worried about being put in that situation again, he is human after all.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm with David, I think Silva with finish him within 3 rounds. I was unsure of how much Silva's rib injury affected him until I watched the 'Like Water' documentary. In their respective last outings I think Silva looked much better against Okami than Sonnen did against Bisping. I'd also argue against Chael having the psychological advantage, his media baiting & trash talking has created a huge amount of self-imposed pressure. Anderson's mainly kept quiet & trained. Sonnen has more to lose here than Silva for me, Anderson's nearing retirement & will lose at some point, whether it's against Sonnen or whoever's next in line (although I'd love for him to retire from the UFC unbeaten). If Silva loses nobody's gonna question his legacy, if Chael loses again he's cemented as just another contender who came up short, despite his various claims.

• Paid Members

I really think Chael can pretty much seperate Chael the fighter to Chael the personality, he'll know he has a mammoth task ahead of him, but he also knows that if he can avoid a submission he has a great chance of winning, it has to give you a huge pychological boost to know for 23mins you pretty much had your way with someone...i don't see how it can't (unless the TRT thing really did make that much of a difference?).

As for not backing up his claimes, i said after the original loss Chael didn't go all Mayhem Miller (ie Sulk) he shook Anderson's defeat and admitted the better man won, he'll do the same again. Chael only started talking shit again when he decided he was gonna go on another run for the belt.

The guy's a promotinal machine.

If you wanna talk last performances, it's irrelevant Yushin Okami was terrified of Anderson, Chael won't be. The Bisping/Sonnen fight was a tough one on Chael, i think i had Bisping edging it on the night but people seem to get on Sonnen's case more than admitting that Michael Bisping is a top 5 middleweight who's a tough fight for anyone.

I really think Chael can pretty much seperate Chael the fighter to Chael the personality, he'll know he has a mammoth task ahead of him, but he also knows that if he can avoid a submission he has a great chance of winning, it has to give you a huge pychological boost to know for 23mins you pretty much had your way with someone...i don't see how it can't (unless the TRT thing really did make that much of a difference?).

I doubt the TRT had as much of an effect as Andersons rib injury.

i hear you, but i don't necessarily see how Anderson's ribs really harmed his last performance as much as everyone like to make out. Chael never attacked the body and from a standing position Anderson seemed to look his usual self, other of course than being a little more desperate in his style as the fight wore on.

Go back and watch the fight and point out one incident where he looks like Anderson's rib affects his performance.

Have you ever had a rib injury, Ebb? I've had one that was nowhere near as serious as Anderson's. I could hardly move properly, never mind try to avoid punches and takedowns.

There's a reason why Anderson was hit more times in that fight against a fairly ordinary striker than he ever was against guys like Henderson, Franklin and Belfort.

If Silva comes in at even 90% he'll take this fight. Once you take away the over the top promotional shit that Sonnen's been spinning you're left with a decent MMA fighter who has a great wrestling base.

Before he turned into a dark haired Superstar Billy Graham he was just another mid-level middleweight fighter, having managed to get decision wins over Nate Marquardt, Okami and Dan Miller.

Before that he got submitted by Maia.

Nothing has really changed except his ability to talk shit, and the fact that he fought an Anderson who shouldn't have even been in the cage that night.

• Paid Members

If Anderson's rib injuiry was that bad, would he have fought? seriously? I know people site injuries all the time but if it was that bad he shouldn't have fought.

My take on Silva getting tagged standing is that he wasn't expecting Chael to throw strikes with him, Chael's striking to set up takedown's in the fight were absolutely perfect, Anderson didn't know what to do.

This time what can Anderson do differently? Chael's coming for that takedown whatever happens, if Anderson doesn't knock him out coming in he's getting taken down, en of story.

If Anderson's rib injuiry was that bad, would he have fought? seriously? I know people site injuries all the time but if it was that bad he shouldn't have fought.

My take on Silva getting tagged standing is that he wasn't expecting Chael to throw strikes with him, Chael's striking to set up takedown's in the fight were absolutely perfect, Anderson didn't know what to do.

This time what can Anderson do differently? Chael's coming for that takedown whatever happens, if Anderson doesn't knock him out coming in he's getting taken down, en of story.

Agree, Chael is going for the takedown as soon as each round begins and he will get it. Andersons only shot is to catch him coming or catch him standing in the 10-30 seconds before the takedown attempt comes. After that he's going to be on his back for the whole round where he has to hope Chael gets sloppy and can catch him in a submission again.

• Paid Members

IIRC their original fight was before the UFC changed it's medical policy. You'll remember when they did change it as we saw a load cards change with fighters pulling out with injuries they previously would've fought through. Also, if you watch the 'Like Water' flick you'd see that Dana was all over Anderson after the Maia fight...Silva's options of pulling out of the Sonnen fight were slim to none.

• Paid Members

I'm kinda split between the 2 sides being argued here. I believe Anderson's ribs were hurt, it might have effected his performance or it might not we can't know for sure.

Injuries or not Chael's wrestling is always gonna be a challenge for Anderson because it's the weakest area of his game and Chael's biggest strength. Of course flip that around and Chael's weakness in BJJ is a main asset of Anderson's. It's a great match of styles.

I agree with Ebb that Chael's landing shots was most likely because Anderson wasn't expecting him to try to stand at all. Franklin, Belfort and Hendo are all better strikers than Chael but in MMA you don't necessarily have to be the better striker to outstrike someone. Chael got Anderson thinking takedowns and then was able to land punches. Franklin and co came with much more one dimensional tactics.

Injuries, TRT etc Chael still poses the same problems. But I can't help thinking Chael is gonna get caught in a submission again. 25 mins is a long time to stay safe.

Since I've followed MMA, Silva vs. Sonnen II is my most anticpated rematch ever. The fight fight is one of the greatest fights in MMA history because of events leading up to it (Silva's dominance, few backing Sonnen to do anything), what happened in the fight (Sonnen beating on Silva for four and a half rounds till he tapped out to Silva's Triangle armbar) and the questions the rematch will answer (was it Sonnen's one chance, will we see THE Anderson Silva, can Sonnen avoid getting tapped out). I've gone backwards and forwards on my prediction for the fight and I don't know what will happen.

Apat from reports of a knee injury Silva Appears to pretty much in good shape, so I don't see Sonnen doing anywhere near as wel as he did in their first fight. I think the injury to the ribs made a huge difference, even having 2 bruised ribs that I've had before makes it difficult to move your arms and having someone lay on top of you would be fucking agony. It would also be incredibly difficult to block a takedown with bad ribs and even the amount of head movement that Anderson usually uses wasn't there in the first fight which is why he got tagged so much.

Agree, Chael is going for the takedown as soon as each round begins and he will get it. Andersons only shot is to catch him coming or catch him standing in the 10-30 seconds before the takedown attempt comes. After that he's going to be on his back for the whole round where he has to hope Chael gets sloppy and can catch him in a submission again.

I'll tell you what, Sonnen has certainly got shit down to a fine art if he actually has people talking about Anderson only having one shot to catch him, and a window of 10-30 seconds before being taken down and dominated.

Before Chael Sonnen started his pro wrestling gimmick he was getting subbed by the likes of Demian Maia, Paulo Filho, Jeremy Horn and even Babalu! Now we're supposed to believe that he has to get sloppy before Anderson Silva, the best fighter on the fucking planet and a BJJ black belt has a chance of subbing him?!? :laugh:

• Paid Members

Dave you say that like Maia, Filho, Horn and Babalu aren't top level grapplers, all those guys are world class and would arguably (probably) defeat Anderson in straight grappling competition.

You talk shit sometimes Dave.

Dave you say that like Maia, Filho, Horn and Babalu aren't top level grapplers, all those guys are world class and would arguably (probably) defeat Anderson in straight grappling competition.

No I don't, I say it because it's evidence that Sonnen has been subbed before by top level BJJ practitioners like Maia, Horn & Filho, and even by Babalu, who's MMA credentials at the very top level are questionable. Sonnen was subbed by all of those guys in MMA bouts, and I have no doubt that Anderson would walk through every single one of them (he made Maia look like a fucking chump in their fight) in an MMA fight.

This idea that Sonnen will take Anderson down and manage to hold him there for 25 minutes without getting caught is fucking ridiculous. His record against top level BJJ guys isn't great, and Anderson is a top level BJJ guy.

The truth is, before he started his Superstar Graham schtick he was regarded as a mid to upper level middleweight. Now he's going to walk through Andersons strikes, take him down and keep him on his back whilst dominating him? Fuck off.

He went into the first fight injured, plain & simple. When the guys at 100% he's virtually untouchable. Better fighters than Sonnen have been made to look ridiculous by the guy, and if there's no major problems before this fight he'll beat Sonnen within two rounds.

You talk shit sometimes Dave.

This coming from the guy who's talking about Andersons rib injury whilst admitting to never having watched the documentary that documents how fucking serious it was?!?

Away and have a word with yourself mate :laugh:

Archived