UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
i found this promo for the fight on youtube set to the music 'No Easy Way Out' from Rocky 4, class video this i thought

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeAwxEMpXvY...player_embedded

That's fantastic, marvelous find. Loved the portrayal of Okami as the Apollo Creed to Chael's Rocky. Would be even more fitting if the fight was still in Brazil with Chael going into enemy territory.

Yep, awesome find. Certainly gets me even more pumped up for this event.

Last event I stayed up for was Lesnar vs Overeem. This is going to be another I stay up for I think!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
forgot that the second one was not long after the Silva loss.

Yeah, and Forrest came out to Chumbawumba's 'I Get Knocked Down' as a nod to the Silva fight which was a nice touch.

That second fight was enjoyable enough but you had Forrest coming off an embarrassing KO and Tito returning from surgery and 18 months on the shelf. I think this third fight will be better despite them both winding down.

The first fight was great, haven't seen it in years. I think I'll rewatch both Tito vs Forrest fights and Silva vs Sonnen 1 again before next Saturday.

forgot that the second one was not long after the Silva loss.

Yeah, and Forrest came out to Chumbawumba's 'I Get Knocked Down' as a nod to the Silva fight which was a nice touch.

That second fight was enjoyable enough but you had Forrest coming off an embarrassing KO and Tito returning from surgery and 18 months on the shelf. I think this third fight will be better despite them both winding down.

The first fight was great, haven't seen it in years. I think I'll rewatch both Tito vs Forrest fights and Silva vs Sonnen 1 again before next Saturday.

If you don't have Silva/Sonnen I to hand, I posted a link before this post to the UFC's official website where the fight can be watched for free. I own the Best of UFC 2010 and it's on that so I plan on watching it before the rematch.

Going to rewatch the first fight myself before this rematch.

I can see this fight going one of two ways. Either Silva is going to finish it quickly on the feet or Chael is going to look to take Anderson down and keep him there and this time not leave himself open for the triangle choke.

Having said that, can you imagine the eruption if a) Chael wins the title b) wins it by finishing the fight. I don't think the fans dislike Silva as much as they makeout, I just think they want to see the belt changehands in an 'I was there.. ' type of deal and seen as Silva has beaten everyone put in front of him for the last 6 years

• Paid Members

Cheers for the links Natural. I think I've still got the live PPV version of Silva vs Sonnen 1 on disc. Have to dig it out. Nice trailers, I keep watching trailers, for this on Youtube and it's getting me even more pumped for the fight. I wish it was this Saturday, no fuck that, I wish it was tonight.

There's no way Sonnen's finishing Anderson. Sonnen's got weak G&P and has only finished 1 fight in his entire UFC career.

Yeah it's a massive longshot. Outside of some freak injury to Anderson, I think Sonnen will have to play for points. He's got very good ground and pound but it seems to lack the big power needed to finish someone like Anderson.

It doesn't get mentioned much but Anderson also has a great chin on him. He's taken big shots off Hendo, Franklin and Cote and didn't even acknowledge them.

• Paid Members

He's got good G&P in the sense that he keeps busy to avoid constant stand-up's but given his elite level wrestling you'd think he'd be able to finish someone, anyone with G&P. In the last fight Anderson did more damage to Chael throwing elbows from the bottom than Sonnen managed being on top for nigh on 5 rounds.

• Paid Members
He's got good G&P in the sense that he keeps busy to avoid constant stand-up's but given his elite level wrestling you'd think he'd be able to finish someone, anyone with G&P. In the last fight Anderson did more damage to Chael throwing elbows from the bottom than Sonnen managed being on top for nigh on 5 rounds.

Yeah it's a lack of fight ending power. He stays busy and lands a lot of shots though. You're either heavy handed or you're not, I think he does well with what he's got. He'always shows aggression and at least tries to do damage/finish.

And I think he was hurting Anderson at times. But when do you ever see Anderson marked up? He's got rhino skin.

Another thing that rarely gets mentioned from the first fight is Anderson's punch off his back at the end. That appeared to stun Chael straight away and Chael put his face down on Anderson's chest. It actually was the turning point which allowed Anderson to secure the triangle.

One thing that gives me hope as a Sonnen fan is, it was not just one takedown Chael scored, it was several, he was also able to keep Anderson there. I know Anderson was not at 100 percent, but I also believe if the injury was that bad he would have not been able to handle those 25 minutes he fought.

I know I am the resident Chael fan on this forum, but I think there is some truth to him being a choke artist, he says in his book that late on in the Silva fight his mind wandered to memories of his Dad and that lapse in focus resulted in the triangle. He has been to Psychologists to correct these lapses in concentration, with Chael I think for years it was mental/focus problems that made him a journeyman, not actual ability.

Chael may not be as quick or technical as Anderson, but is more powerful, when they clinch he will have a advantage, I am not convinced Silva will be able to stop the takedowns.

Chael might not be able to stop Anderson, but with how brittle Anderson is maybe he will throw in the towel if say Anderson breaks a rib.

I have not decided my pick as of yet, but right now my emotions say Chael, whilst my head says Anderson.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that I think Chael will finish the fight with the 5 rounds, I was just making a point about the potential crowd reaction if he did.

A good example of Chael keeping busy with his G&PBis his fight against Nate Marquart. He was able to take Nate, a big guy for Middleweight, down and keep him down while landing some heavy shots

Has anyone seen the Anderson Silva: Like Water documentary? It was filmed in the leadup to the first Chael fight. Does anyone know if its any good?

It's terrific. The documentary makers got lucky with the build to their first fight and the actual fight itself.

Archived