UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As much as I'd like Sonnen to win I can't see past Silva retaining. As long as Silva is close to 100% he will dominate it, Sonnen has decent stand up, but if Silva wasn't inujred there was no way he would have been hit so much standing up.

Ad for Tito/Forrest I want Forrest to win, I just don't like Tito. Even back in the day I was never a fan of him, he was a great fighter, but he just seems like such a dick and very unlikeable. Forrest is very funny and seems like a nice bloke, even though he has said in the past he has kind of lost the passion for MMA due to not having to fight to survive. This video of Forrest talking about his fight wilth Silva is very funny.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Those trailers are great, thanks for that. I plan on watching the first fight again, but to anyone that has seen it recently, did Sonnen throw many elbows when he was on top? I don't remember him throwing many myself, and with the general view being that his GnP is pretty weak, might be something he could look to. If he can get top position for a round or 2 and cut Silva up with some elbows he'd be in good shape.

And I'm throwing a vote in for Sonnen via Arm Triangle.

Those trailers are great, thanks for that. I plan on watching the first fight again, but to anyone that has seen it recently, did Sonnen throw many elbows when he was on top? I don't remember him throwing many myself, and with the general view being that his GnP is pretty weak, might be something he could look to. If he can get top position for a round or 2 and cut Silva up with some elbows he'd be in good shape.

Chael TKO Silva

Actually most of Chael's time on top was spent trying to box in Silva's ears with palm strikes to the head or body shots. Considering the amount of strikes Silva got hit with he still looked fresh as a daisy in the fifth round.

• Paid Members

dont recall many elbows being thrown but Chael threw a lot of punches at Silva, they lost their steam over the course of the fight but in the opening round or so his ground and pound was pretty damaging, Anderson ate it all but Chael was drilling him. I think we'll see more shorts elbows this time out, i think Chael will stay super sticky to Silva instead of trying to poster up, especiallly later in the fight.

• Paid Members
A good example of Chael keeping busy with his G&PBis his fight against Nate Marquart. He was able to take Nate, a big guy for Middleweight, down and keep him down while landing some heavy shots

Yeah that's probably the best example of how effective Chael can be on top. Some of the G&P he threw at Marquardt was brutal. It never finished him but I bet Nate wished it had the next morning.

On the elbows stuff, yeah I don't remember him throwing many against Anderson. I'm sure he dropped some good ones on Marquardt and Dan Miller though. It's defo a tool I think he should use more. Considering a lot of his offense is from the guard, elbows are a great weapon from there. It worked for Tito for years.

Has anyone seen the Anderson Silva: Like Water documentary? It was filmed in the leadup to the first Chael fight. Does anyone know if its any good?

You can watch it here;

http://www.mmatko.com/like-water-complete-...on-silva-movie/

Highly recommended. Certainly the best MMA doc since The Smashing Machine and Choke. And I thought it was better than them two aswell.

As amazing as it sounds now, just 3 years ago Chael Sonnen was a big underdog against Dan Miller. And also people felt he would fade into obscurity after losing to Miller.

He was also a underdog against Okami and Marquart. The latter whom looking back was massively overated. After the Maia defeat it took ages for Chael to be taken seriously, and he only became a star in the summer of 2010 of his trash talk bonanza, when the Silva fight was first made it was met with no more anticipation than when Cote, Maia or Liates got shots at Silva, he was viewed as a mid-tier guy who managed to grind out a few wins over some decent contenders.

Even though he has been a massive star the past 2 years, he was a nobody to most fans before then. I remember the Babulu fight, but if say in 2007 which by the time I was a big UFC fan you would have shown me a picture of him, I may not know who he was. The Filho fights put him back on the map, but Filho was the talking point with his erratic behavior.

It is like if some jamoke in WWE who has been on the roster for years like say Primo (if he is still there) became a star over night, or in boxing if Matthew Hatton became a big name over night. It is one of the most unlikely rises in professional sport.

• Paid Members

Been watching Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen highlight videos for about the past hour now.

And these two are fucking epic

Anderson Silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikDxNYzfDc

Chael Sonnen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfpFWuKN3_0

Probably the best highlight reels of both guys I've came across (ooh er).

edit - another awesome Anderson Silva one

Love the bits showing the opponents' pre-fight interviews and then the highlights of Anderson wrecking them.

I will watch those tomorrow, or maybe on fight night.

I can agree on the elbows point as well, they can cause cuts which end fights. That said as said Anderson is a bit like BJ Penn, it seems you can take a buzzsaw on him and he will not have a mark on him.

• Paid Members

Ahead of probably the biggest MMA fight of the year I think we need to get to know Chael Sonnen better. Through extensive research (google images) I've managed to find out a bit more about the 'undefeated, undisputed Gangster from Oregon'

The questions you all wanted to know the answers to here

Chael Sonnen's least favourite holiday destination?

tartte25.jpg

Chael's least favourite crisps?

200px-Nacho-Cheese-Doritos-Bag-Small.jpg

Chael's least favourite musical instrument?

triper.jpg

Chael's least favourite chocolate bar?

toblerone2.jpg

Chael's least favourite snack?

dairyleabox.jpg

Chael's least favourite board game?

4593599261_ee8154c289.jpg

Chael's least favourite Quality Street?

stockphotopro_31697ZKJ_.jpg

How do you beat Chael on UFC video games?

triangleh.png

Chael's favourite submission to tap to?

SilvaSonnen896UFC117.jpg

triangle.jpg

chael.jpg

• Paid Members
As amazing as it sounds now, just 3 years ago Chael Sonnen was a big underdog against Dan Miller. And also people felt he would fade into obscurity after losing to Miller.

He was also a underdog against Okami and Marquart. The latter whom looking back was massively overated. After the Maia defeat it took ages for Chael to be taken seriously, and he only became a star in the summer of 2010 of his trash talk bonanza, when the Silva fight was first made it was met with no more anticipation than when Cote, Maia or Liates got shots at Silva, he was viewed as a mid-tier guy who managed to grind out a few wins over some decent contenders.

Even though he has been a massive star the past 2 years, he was a nobody to most fans before then. I remember the Babulu fight, but if say in 2007 which by the time I was a big UFC fan you would have shown me a picture of him, I may not know who he was. The Filho fights put him back on the map, but Filho was the talking point with his erratic behavior.

It is like if some jamoke in WWE who has been on the roster for years like say Primo (if he is still there) became a star over night, or in boxing if Matthew Hatton became a big name over night. It is one of the most unlikely rises in professional sport.

yeh, it really is. It aint like Chael was a that young when he had his first shot either, the dude was seen as a veteran when he made his UFC return. A lot of people will claim his talk got him there (and it most certainly helped) but Chael went on a hell of a run win-wise to get there, he lost and he won his way back to the top again.

Guy deserved credit.

• Paid Members

yeh, it really is. It aint like Chael was a that young when he had his first shot either, the dude was seen as a veteran when he made his UFC return. A lot of people will claim his talk got him there (and it most certainly helped) but Chael went on a hell of a run win-wise to get there, he lost and he won his way back to the top again.

Guy deserved credit.

Sonnen's rise is really simple. He clawed his way to a title shot and has been the only man to ever beat the living hell out of Anderson Silva. That fight alone, followed by his downfall so to speak followed by his rise is what's made him a star. All in all, it was the first fight that made every look in the end.

• Paid Members

Chael realised that the UFC weren't necessarily rewarding winning fighters so cleverly decided to do a pro-wrestling gimmick to get himself noticed. Prior to that the guy had some good wins but had finished less fights than Jon Fitch. He was/is a pure wrestler winning by keeping busy & getting decisions. As the UFC kept Fitch away from the belt Sonnen knew he had to do something to stop the same happening to him. His willingness to do Dana's bidding & get his 'promo on' for the Silva fight earned him face time & people bought it 'ZOMG, Can you believe what he just said?'

I'm taking nothing away from his wins (I'm a Fitch fan remember) but I don't remember anyone singing his praises on here before he started the gimmick.

• Paid Members
Chael realised that the UFC weren't necessarily rewarding winning fighters so cleverly decided to do a pro-wrestling gimmick to get himself noticed. Prior to that the guy had some good wins but had finished less fights than Jon Fitch. He was/is a pure wrestler winning by keeping busy & getting decisions. As the UFC kept Fitch away from the belt Sonnen knew he had to do something to stop the same happening to him. His willingness to do Dana's bidding & get his 'promo on' for the Silva fight earned him face time & people bought it 'ZOMG, Can you believe what he just said?'

I'm taking nothing away from his wins (I'm a Fitch fan remember) but I don't remember anyone singing his praises on here before he started the gimmick.

The first time I ever saw Sonnen was against Marquardt and he really impressed me then. However, saying that people only started praising him once he started his pro wrestling gimmick is ridiculous. He earned that number contender spot before going into overdrive on his promos. To be honest, I barely gave any attention to his match against Anderson even then. I only watched it after the event on a replay and it was then when I sat up and paid attention to Chael Sonnen. For me, he "gimmick" since then has only been a bonus. The problem with the middleweight division was that Anderson Silva was so dominant nobody paid attention to his opponent as before Chael a win was a foregone conclusion.

Chael won all the plaudits for his performance that night and made Anderson Silva look human.

Archived