UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah Ive not had a chance to watch the video you posted yet. will have a looksie when I finish work. Does he say it the knee or thigh that hit him in the face? Theres an obvious argument to be made that the thigh could have rode up and connected with his head (the first replay was slightly obscured by his hand) but would that be classed as an illegal shot? Im sure a few more camera angles of it will eventually turn up of it.

Surely the fact that Kizer admits to having seen it multiple times shows that his and the NSAC stance is that its not illegal, otherwise they would have done something about it?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chokeout, you need to watch the video I posted. Chael himself confirms that the knee connected with his face. He more than anyone should know.

Going by your avatar, I'd guess you aren't impartial on the matter. If Silva says it didn't connect with his face, would you accept that? After all, he threw it so he more than anyone would know.

• Paid Members

silva-sonnen-knee.gif

It's hard to say, but to me, it looks like the knee is aimed for the chest, and part of Silva's thigh is coming into contact with the face. Because Chael is sat the way he is, Silva has to get down real low. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

• Paid Members
Chokeout, you need to watch the video I posted. Chael himself confirms that the knee connected with his face. He more than anyone should know.

Going by your avatar, I'd guess you aren't impartial on the matter. If Silva says it didn't connect with his face, would you accept that? After all, he threw it so he more than anyone would know.

This is the thing, Chael's obviously going to say it hit his face if he thinks there's even a slight chance of another fight. So Chael simply saying that shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Chael said fuck all about it hitting his face after the fight or the press conference. It's only since all this fuss was made he's trying it on. Can't really blame him but I honestly see no problem with that knee.

• Paid Members
silva-sonnen-knee.gif

It's hard to say, but to me, it looks like the knee is aimed for the chest, and part of Silva's thigh is coming into contact with the face. Because Chael is sat the way he is, Silva has to get down real low. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

the knee is definitly not illegal. The grey area if that Anderson's thigh strikes Chael's face. I ain't actually sure on the rules for this, but am i right in thinking that you can't strike the head of a grounded opponent with any part of the leg?

Is Silva taking the piss doing what he did? Yes. Is it technically illegal?, It can be argued either way.

No, it can't. It goes directly against the law I've quoted above, which makes it illegal. He put a substance on his body to gain an unfair advantage. That's against the rules. Things against the rules are illegal.

The NSAC say you're wrong

Kizer talking about the same thing after UFC 126

Nevada State Athletic Commission officials who oversaw Saturday's Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort headliner at UFC 126 did not see any behavior that suggested foul play

Kizer, though, said it's not an issue of whether a fighter touches his face after a cutman applies a coat of Vaseline

• Paid Members

I've got that picture as it's superb. No real other reason. Just because I'm a chael fan doesn't mean I can't be impartial. On the contrary I'm also a big fan of the spider too.

However, going by your logic, who would I trust more, than man who threw the attack or the man who received it? I would have to say the later everytime as they are the ones who are experiencing the pain at the point of contact. That's if I'm going on who's word I would take over the others.

But, I hold my hands up after looking at that gif as it does look like the knee is hitting the chest. Can someone though confirm that the lower part of the thigh during the attack is allowed to connect to the face? I can't say I that detailed on the rules.

In any case, the point I was making is that people are still debating the legality of the move.

• Paid Members
Sorry but the quote you gave there doesn't go in your argument's favour.

A fighter can touch there face after vaseline has been applied, that's not a problem as there are reasons a fighter may genuinely need to touch his face (anything from a simple itch to the fighter not feeling comfortable with the closeness of large amount of vaseline to their eye.

However what a fighter can not do is take that vaseline and wipe it on his body, as the rules state, because it can cause an unfair advantage, even with a small amount of vaseline.

Actually the article specifically says that he sees nothing illegal about what Anderson did (specifically wiping his face then wiping his body) I mentioned that quote because on the last page it was mentioned 'You're not supposed to touch the fucking vaseline' which as you say is just wrong because there are loads of legit reasons a fighter would have to do it after it is applied. And I wasn't arguing either way I said there was arguments for both for and against it being illegal

• Paid Members
somone post a picture of this shirt, i need to see it.

:laugh: :laugh: I know what you mean!

Jag, I think the avatar is one of Mr chokeout himself.

Cheers.

Best I can do in terms of a picture. It's a highlight vid of the weigh ins.

Archived