UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of the topic at hand - I was starting to get a little concerned for my boy Chael but after Silva's comments I'm fucking petrified. If Sonnen gets humiliated it will cap off maybe the worst month or two in personal (vicarious) sporting history following Man United's title capitulation and Ireland's dismal time at the Euros.

DO IT FOR ME CHAEL. :(

• Paid Members
i found this promo for the fight on youtube set to the music 'No Easy Way Out' from Rocky 4, class video this i thought

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeAwxEMpXvY...player_embedded

That's fantastic, marvelous find. Loved the portrayal of Okami as the Apollo Creed to Chael's Rocky. Would be even more fitting if the fight was still in Brazil with Chael going into enemy territory.

If Chael wins, he will become the biggest star the UFC has. His criminal record and shaky past will not matter, look at how big Mike Tyson was even with all his past woes in the 90's.

He is good looking, charismatic, witty, smart and will be great for chat shows. Much like Lesnar, even if you hate him you have a strong view. I know I have said he does not have the heart of the audience, but did Tito Ortiz ever have it really when he was their biggest star and poster boy?

In regard to Mr Seven woes about his sport, I can relate, Lewis Hamiliton crashing last week and my bitter taste from the Pac Man verdict in boxing would be forgotten if Sonnen could win.

It is a big ask, but as I have already said, he may catch a ageing champion at the right time

• Paid Members

Heh.

Who have you got in the Tito vs Forrest 3 fight, Jim? I'm actually really, looking forward to it, if it was on any other card it would probably get a fair bit more attention being Tito's swansong and that but under Silva vs Sonnen 2 it had no chance. Kind of a shame Tito's last fight isn't really, being made that big a deal of. At least he gets the HOF recognition though.

I like this fight. Tito's pretty much fought everyone I wanted to see him fight and there wasn't really,a lot of fights out there for him that made sense. But this is one of them. I enjoyed the first two and like we've said a lot recently, some guys just bring out the best in each other. Melendez/Thomson and Stout/Fisher showed that in ending their trilogies recently and this could be along them lines.

Forrest is one of the only big names I'd give Tito a good shot against these days so it's an interesting one for me. For once I'm on the Tito bandwagon. Would make a nice change for one of the old guard to go out on a win.

I would like Tito to win also, he has a chance as Griffin has showed signs of being jaded with MMA since around 2009. He does not seem to care anymore, UFC 134 he phoned in, that maybe due to his wife being in labour, but it is rare he shows the passion he used to in interviews, he seems to have come to the conclusion his career has peaked and on name value alone he can get some easy paychecks without putting much work into improving.

On paper, I strongly favor Griffin, he has the defensive wrestling to stop Ortiz takedowns which do not have the spring they did even when they fought in 2006. Striking wise, Ortiz lacks the power and technique to trouble Griffin, Forrest style maybe unrefined, but Ortiz is far too one dimensional and basic to cause him much trouble.

Forrest could go on auto-pilot and in this, his leg kicks and boxing should keep Ortiz at bay, maybe Tito can land a takedown but I doubt he will do much with it. Forrest is also hard to submit, so Tito's underated submissions, pacifically his guillotine will be ineffective. Tito's cardio is also a bit suspect he gassed last time they fought, whilst Forrest can and will go all day long.

I think Tito may have a few moments early, may rock Forrest or score a takedown, but then Forrest will will be fresher as the second round starts and dominate the later rounds to earn a points win.

Thinking about it I am looking forward to it also, I agree with David maybe it should have been on a FOX show. On this card it is the starter to Sonnen vs Silva main course. For someone who is as important to UFC history like Ortiz farewell to be in that position is kinda a shame.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd give Forrest the edge.

I think you're right about him not being as in love with MMA these days but I think he might be fired up more for this one. He'll know that a loss to someone who's retiring would be hard to rebound from and rubber matches usually seem to give both guys a boost, just because nobody wants to go 2-1 down. They want the last laugh. I thought he looked quite good against Rich Franklin aswell to be fair. I think we'll see a more motivated Forrest for this one.

Still though, I think Tito has a decent shot at this and he'll be motivated aswell. He doesn't have to worry about where a win or loss puts him being his last fight so he can just let it all go one last time. He didn't look great in their second fight but it's worth remembering he'd been inactive for about 18 months coming into that and it was his first fight back after surgery. I think he'll have a better showing this time, win or lose.

I'd have liked it on FOX. Would have been good to have a 5 rounder to settle the score.

Did you delete the Faber vs Barao poll or just edit the names? If you edited the names that'll be what's happened I think. You'll have to delete the whole Faber vs Barao bit from the poll and add a new bit where it says 'Add Poll Question' for Griffin/Ortiz mate.

I deleted the Faber/Barao question which removed all the Faber/Barao options mate and then I made the Griffin vs. Ortiz poll. Hope it's working now.

I think Forrest Griffin will win the trilogy and beat Tito Ortiz on a decision, might be a split decision like the first two fights were. I never watched the second fight but I watched the first fight the night after on Bravo and thought Griffin should have won the decision.

---

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen I is free to view on the UFC's website:

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-117-silva-sonnen-148

Can't help but have a soft spot for Tito. I watched UFC 40 the other night for a bit of nostalgia, and Tito was the fucking man then, and he knew it. Hoping he finds that form against Griffin. Haven't liked Forrest for a good while, he got KO'd in embarrassing fashion by Silva- seriously, a walk away jab?!? and got destroyed by Shogun. In between those fights he wrestled a smaller man to a decision in Franklin. I voted for Tito via KO/TKO. His striking is much better than it used to be, and Forrest's heart just isn't in it anymore. Tito, for all his bad run of luck, always fights passionately.

After those comments by Anderson, the excitement level has reached fever pitch for me. Bring on midday, July 8th! I'll be sitting at the pub, beer in hand, steak on plate, ready for a war.

• Paid Members

I'm giving Griffin the edge, and I think that if he wins, we could be looking at a double retirement. As many have said, his heart doesn't really seem in this anymore and he seems to be fighting less and less all the time now.

It's a shame this fight is being so overlooked because of the main event.

Archived