UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Chael realised that the UFC weren't necessarily rewarding winning fighters so cleverly decided to do a pro-wrestling gimmick to get himself noticed. Prior to that the guy had some good wins but had finished less fights than Jon Fitch. He was/is a pure wrestler winning by keeping busy & getting decisions. As the UFC kept Fitch away from the belt Sonnen knew he had to do something to stop the same happening to him. His willingness to do Dana's bidding & get his 'promo on' for the Silva fight earned him face time & people bought it 'ZOMG, Can you believe what he just said?'

I'm taking nothing away from his wins (I'm a Fitch fan remember) but I don't remember anyone singing his praises on here before he started the gimmick.

Sonnen's always had the 'gimmick' go back watch his WEC stuff, he talked tons of crap back then too, he's amped it to stupid levels but Chael's always talked a good game.

You can't blame people for only taking notice since the Maia loss in the UFC though, until that point Chael was pretty much only known by the die hards. He still had to defeat a string of top middleweights before his shot though no matter how much shit he talked...but did the talking help? Absofuckinglutely.

Chael realised that the UFC weren't necessarily rewarding winning fighters so cleverly decided to do a pro-wrestling gimmick to get himself noticed. Prior to that the guy had some good wins but had finished less fights than Jon Fitch. He was/is a pure wrestler winning by keeping busy & getting decisions. As the UFC kept Fitch away from the belt Sonnen knew he had to do something to stop the same happening to him. His willingness to do Dana's bidding & get his 'promo on' for the Silva fight earned him face time & people bought it 'ZOMG, Can you believe what he just said?'

I'm taking nothing away from his wins (I'm a Fitch fan remember) but I don't remember anyone singing his praises on here before he started the gimmick.

That's not really accurate, he had some fantastic fights in Bodog and was brilliant in the Filho fights in the WEC. Hell, in his fight with Tim Credeur in Bodog he started the fight by throwing a flying knee!

Also, you just need to watch that fight with Credeur & the first Filho fight to see how dangerous Sonnen's G&P can be - a lot of people are massively underrating his effectiveness to do damage.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, its obvious to everyone that he created the character to get to the top quicker but to lump him alongside Fitch is craziness - his decision wins were never that boring.

• Paid Members
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, its obvious to everyone that he created the character to get to the top quicker but to lump him alongside Fitch is craziness - his decision wins were never that boring.

Fitch has finished more fights in the UFC than Sonnen has. Both are elite wrestlers, the comparison isn't really that crazy. Whether his decision wins were less 'boring' than Fitch's is completely subjective. You can claim how dangerous Sonnen's G&P is but the fact remains that he's never been able to earn a stoppage with it. Surely a fighter with wrestling that good combined with dangerous G&P should be able to finish someone?

I'd actually be interested if there were stats about which UFC wrestlers have had the most ref stand-up's?

That said as said Anderson is a bit like BJ Penn, it seems you can take a buzzsaw on him and he will not have a mark on him.

Poor example ;)

Best_of_UFC_FUUFC9311_Penn_vs_Diaz_Plat_640x360_20469449.jpg

:p

ahh shit.

That point worked until recently though.

EBB's pointing out the Sonnen was a trash talker in the WEC makes me think he just was never given the platform for it before 2010. Once he earned that platform by being the number 1 contender, it was of to the races, he then ensured his star status with almost beating Anderson.

• Paid Members
UFC Primetime Silva vs. Sonnen preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=D7_YkcYOwF8

UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VQBZpmcmM...nel&list=UL

I think i just creamed myself. Earlier in the thread it said there was no Primetime. Although I found this puzzling as I remember Chael stating a long time ago a primetime was due.

Fitch has finished more fights in the UFC than Sonnen has. Both are elite wrestlers, the comparison isn't really that crazy. Whether his decision wins were less 'boring' than Fitch's is completely subjective. You can claim how dangerous Sonnen's G&P is but the fact remains that he's never been able to earn a stoppage with it. Surely a fighter with wrestling that good combined with dangerous G&P should be able to finish someone?

I'd actually be interested if there were stats about which UFC wrestlers have had the most ref stand-up's?

It's rather sad, but true. Fitch hasn't captured the imagination of the public, which is why he'll go largely unknown and unrecognised for his achievements. It ain't right, but that's how the UFC works.

• Paid Members
UFC Primetime Silva vs. Sonnen preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=D7_YkcYOwF8

UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VQBZpmcmM...nel&list=UL

Fucking hell, that looks absolutely incredible. I assume it's just one episode of Prime Time since we're a week away but still, that looks like the greatest thing ever.

Archived