UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Without being too much of a grouch, is Silva - Sonnen really one of the greatest UFC fights of all time? It was a spectacle for sure but only really because Sonnen came close against the odds, something which post-fight had the shine/impact taken from it after the combined news of Silva's injury & Sonnen's cheating. Also, do they really have a 'grudge' against one another? Sonnen created one in order to talk up the fight & sell PPV's, to gain some favour with his boss & distract UFC fans away from his 'Fitch-esque' fighting style & Anderson never really bit or reacted to his taunts. It's hardly Chuck/Tito.

Still massively hyped for this. I'm more intrigued to see how different, if at all a healthy Silva against a clean Sonnen is. Plus is a ridiculously stacked card, I fear Boetsch might upset Bisping, surely if Bisping wins this he gets a title shot?

Without being too much of a grouch, is Silva - Sonnen really one of the greatest UFC fights of all time? It was a spectacle for sure but only really because Sonnen came close against the odds, something which post-fight had the shine/impact taken from it after the combined news of Silva's injury & Sonnen's cheating.

For me it was because I thought Sonnen wouldn't back up his talk which he did, the first time Anderson was in constant trouble in the UFC and he came back to win a fight he was losing. Sonnen's cheating sucks though.

• Paid Members

I think it was one of the greatest fights in UFC history. The build up and then the actual fight itself felt epic to me. It's weird though cos if you look at the action in the fight there were only a few spells really of proper exciting exchanges and of course the big comeback finish. The rest was just Sonnen smothering him, he was always active and attacking but it wasn't that feeling where it could end at any second like Hendo/Shogun or Diaz/Daley. It's a combination of Chael's dominance for 4 rounds and Anderson's comeback that made the fight a classic. Without that triangle, you're looking at a fairly exciting but a run of the mill 5 round decision.

I love that fight though. Everything about it. The build up, the crowd reactions, the first round shocker of Chael dropping Anderson with a punch, Chael's rolling escape in round 1, Anderson's comeback in the 3rd or 4th rocking Sonnen with a standing elbow, Chael getting cut, that reversal from bottom to top position by Chael in the 4th(?), and then of course the comeback triangle and the 'did he tap or not' shite after it.

There's been a ton of better fights, even on the prelims over the years, with lesser known fighters. But the drama in Silva/Sonnen 1 was something special.

The rematch feels like a massive fight to me. Especially with all that's happened since the first fight with Anderson's win over Okami and the ninja kick on Belfort, Sonnen's TRT controversy, the Like Water documentary, all the Chael talk and especially his win over Stann. A huge fight.

For atmosphere alone I think it would have been even bigger had it stayed in Brazil but at least Chael won't have to fight in a bullet proof vest now.

I've still got a feeling that this fight is gonna play out almost exactly like the first time. Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen is probably one of the most straight forward fights to predict. Looking at their styles, logically you'd have to assume the majority of the fight will be fought on the ground. Anderson probably won't be stuffing Chael's takedowns, so Silva by submission or Sonnen by decision are the most likely outcomes.

I just have a hard time picturing Chael staying out of a triangle for 25 minutes. It's been his kryptonite his whole career and it's Anderson Silva's best submission. I called it almost exact last time, I think I was a round off, going with a 4th round triangle. I'm sticking with that prediction for this one but Chael can win this for sure. He's still the biggest threat to Anderson's title for me just because of his style.

silva-sonnen-02_large.jpg

So yeah, Anderson by triangle for me.

Plus is a ridiculously stacked card, I fear Boetsch might upset Bisping, surely if Bisping wins this he gets a title shot?

He lost his last fight to Sonnen, so a sole victory over Boetsch and a one fight win streak shouldn't result in a title shot (especially if Silva retains, and I think he will). He ideally will need at least another win over a top contender. After how the Sonnen fight went, his best bet might be a Chael victory, although that will lead to the possibility of them doing Silva vs Sonnen III.

I'm not a UFC fan but a friend of mine showed me the video interviews of Sonnen in the build up to the last fight and he came across like a WWE wrestler in the way he spoke and presented himself which got me interested in the last fight him and Silva had.

After the fight I tried to get into UFC but it just is not for me. I may have my interested peaked in this one.

Im hoping that Anderson kicks Chael's head off plain and simple. Sonnen is a bellend, be it an entertaining one, of the highest order. Claiming to be the 'real champion'? Claiming this while:

* Submitting to a triangle

* getting busted for PED's in a losing effort

and that makes you the 'real champion'? Fucking wazock

• Paid Members
Plus is a ridiculously stacked card, I fear Boetsch might upset Bisping, surely if Bisping wins this he gets a title shot?

He lost his last fight to Sonnen, so a sole victory over Boetsch and a one fight win streak shouldn't result in a title shot (especially if Silva retains, and I think he will). He ideally will need at least another win over a top contender. After how the Sonnen fight went, his best bet might be a Chael victory, although that will lead to the possibility of them doing Silva vs Sonnen III.

For that reason alone, I'm hoping Chael wins this fight even though I'm more of an Anderson Silva fan than a Chael fan. A Silva vs Sonnen trilogy can only be a good thing.

Bisping should defo have to win one more at least. Although I had him winning against Chael so maybe the UFC will say one more win after Boetsch is enough. Maybe do Bisping vs Munoz if he beats Weidman?

I think Belfort will probably get the winner of Silva/Sonnen 2 if he beats Wanderlei.

• Paid Members
Bisping should defo have to win one more at least. Although I had him winning against Chael so maybe the UFC will say one more win after Boetsch is enough. Maybe do Bisping vs Munoz if he beats Weidman?

This was the main reason I thought Bisping would be next in line tbh. I had Chael winning their bout but I appreciate it was close & it definitely divided opinion. That aside Bisping's only other losses in the last 5 years were Hendo & another close decision against Wandy. I'm not sure how fit Munoz is? I was pretty sure that's who Bisping would be facing next so was a little surprised when Boetsch was announced.

Ive only seen the Sonnen/Bisping fight once, and personally I thought Bisping won it, just. Thats not me just pulling for the UK guy over Sonnen, i genuinely felt he won that fight. Will have to re-watch if i get the chance sometime soon to see if my opinion has changed.

If the descision had gone to Bisping, it would have completely messed up the plans of the Silva/Sonnen rematch that they so desperately wanted to happen in the first place and Im not sure what kind of buyrate a PPV would have garnered from Silva vs. Bisping

• Paid Members

I got a good laugh out of Don Frye's opinion on Sonnen.

What are your thoughts on Chael?

He's an extremely competent fighter, I like Chael. He's extremely competent because he's been beaten by the same hold four times haha. You know? Chael Sonnen is fun to listen to, but he doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him. Chael is a good guy he just isn't smart enough to do it himself. That's why he's a felon, he wasn't smart enough to not get caught. Hoho!

Don's still the most charismatic man in wrestling, boxing or MMA. I'll be watching this for sure. I only watch the big fights. I cant even be arsed with wrestling these days, let alone something I've never been addicted to. But this one really appeals to me. Cant wait.

Im hoping that Anderson kicks Chael's head off plain and simple. Sonnen is a bellend, be it an entertaining one, of the highest order. Claiming to be the 'real champion'? Claiming this while:

* Submitting to a triangle

* getting busted for PED's in a losing effort

and that makes you the 'real champion'? Fucking wazock

Dont take him too seriously, your reaction to him is the reaction he wants. He is a piss taker and a winp-up merchant. I personally love him, he has enough charm to pull of being likable.

Chael does not legit believe half the stuff he says.

• Paid Members

^This. Sonnen's a conman, as proven by his fraud conviction. He's talking shit & people are believing him, the fact he's a convicted fraudster is proof enough that he's not 'likeable'. Not to mention the fact he was a 'young Republican', remember that oft repeated clip of William Hague giving that speech at the Tory conference? The US equivalent of that! The man's a cunt.

Archived